PDA

View Full Version : How TPG’s handle surface scratches?

jchcollins
01-09-2020, 09:29 AM
Curious as to thoughts / experiences with how different TPG’s handle surface scratching?

I have (one example, anyway) a raw 1963 Topps card that I think is solidly in the VG-EX+ range. It has a light surface scratch maybe an inch + long in the background that yeah, it’s there if you are paying attention - but it does not detract horribly from the overall eye-appeal of an otherwise nicely centered and brightly colored mid-grade card. If the card is otherwise an easy PSA 5 or 4, does it stay a 4 with a noticeable but not horrible scratch, or is it downgraded worse? I don’t know whether to even speculate with PSA anymore. I have seen older PSA slabs with not a scratch but other things more like a surface gouge (but less noticeable) and the card still got a PSA 5.

Will rustle up a pic if I can here in a few...thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jchcollins
01-09-2020, 09:37 AM
The card in question. Scratch is to the left, through his cap. Thanks for any opinions. I feel like this is at least a 4, 4.5 with BVG but not really sure how the other two would handle. Clearly the criteria listed on their sites allow for 5’s and lower to have some degree of scratching, but then again like so many other aspects of grading… it becomes subjective and a question of how much is allowed on what grade?

Card is relatively clean otherwise, and there are no creases or wrinkles.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200109/b47a4f882c09abf77f283b20a444ac72.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny630
01-09-2020, 10:01 AM
Bottom Line it depends whom submits the card.

perezfan
01-09-2020, 12:04 PM
Agree....

It could range from a 3 to a 5, depending upon who specifically submits it.

I'd just leave it raw. Your judgement is better than theirs anyway.

jchcollins
01-09-2020, 01:02 PM
Agree....

It could range from a 3 to a 5, depending upon who specifically submits it.

I'd just leave it raw. Your judgement is better than theirs anyway.

Agreed. I have no plans to send it in. I’ve been grading cards longer than PSA anyway.

I am comfortable calling it VG-EX. Maybe worse if it weren’t centered as well, but that is good as is the color. Corners are somewhere in the 4-5 range, but as often as that is a point of contention everyday now on graded vintage, I’m not going to speculate. It could be either. The card is not perfect, but still has a lot of eye appeal IMO.

I am trying to get more comfortable with lower grade postwar (3-5 range) that still retains eye appeal and doesn’t set me back the $$ that “upper” mid grade (5.5 - 6.5...) normally does. In the case of a Mantle card, that can become a couple of hundred dollars or more pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk