PDA

View Full Version : The time has surely come...

JollyElm
01-08-2020, 09:25 PM
...for people to stop using the most overused word in the history of the world in their posts. Yes, of course I am talking about "iconic." For the love of God, please use something else. I'm not alone. We can't take it anymore!!!!!!! :cool:

Here is an imperfect, but quite far-reaching, list of words/short phrases I quickly cobbled together that can easily be switched in before you even think about hitting the 'i' on your keyboard to start writing that hackneyed, trite, tired, cliched, played-out word. Just look over the list and choose the one that works best for you in your post. I beg of you...please. It's easy, they're in alphabetical order. I'll even amend the list to add other words that work, if people have suggestions...

• archetypal
• banner
• canonical
• celebrated
• chief
• classic
• consequential
• definitive
• distinctive
• elite (eliminated by request)
• emblematic
• eminent
• epic (added by request)
• epochal
• essential
• exalted
• exemplary
• extraordinary
• fabled
• famed
• famous
• featured
• flagship
• glorious
• highly-regarded
• historic
• illustrious
• important
• key
• lauded
• leading
• legendary
• lionized
• magnificent
• marvelous
• momentous
• most important
• one and only
• paradigmatic
• paragon
• pivotal
• popular
• powerful
• premier
• primary
• prime
• principal
• prized
• prominent
• prototypical
• quintessential
• renowned
• revered
• seminal
• showcased
• supreme
• time-honored
• top of mind
• well-established
• well-known

Additional content most likely NOT found in the OED:
• Fantabulous!

brianp-beme
01-08-2020, 10:02 PM
I have never seen such an exhaustive list as you have created. I believe it would be tough to top. It seems, if I may say so, iconic in nature. Your mission is complete.

Brian

Brian Van Horn
01-08-2020, 10:26 PM
Haven't used any of the words in the list or the one you want to replace.

jchcollins
01-08-2020, 10:28 PM
I don't use that word to describe a card unless I can double click on it on top of it's slab, mag case, or top loader and elicit a noticeable response...:rolleyes:

RCMcKenzie
01-08-2020, 10:28 PM
How bout "textbook"... 'fabled' is nice. I might use that next time...

jakebeckleyoldeagleeye
01-08-2020, 11:01 PM
I can't take it when announcers during sporting events use the word unbelievable.
Unbelievable would be Cuba winning a gold medal in hockey not some guy make the same play you have already seen 100 times before.

perezfan
01-08-2020, 11:20 PM
I can't take it when announcers during sporting events use the word unbelievable.
Unbelievable would be Cuba winning a gold medal in hockey not some guy make the same play you have already seen 100 times before.

"Amazing" is equally over-used.

DeanH3
01-08-2020, 11:24 PM
You forgot waterfront. :D

Huysmans
01-09-2020, 04:35 AM
I'd sooner see "iconic" used ad nauseam instead of the corny slang prevelant now like "GOAT".

jchcollins
01-09-2020, 08:08 AM
Also: “Awesome”. Perhaps the most absurdly overused word of the century. Do you know what most people really mean when they saw “Awesome” anymore? They mean it’s fine. It’s ok. Good. But mostly just ... fine. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h2oya311
01-09-2020, 08:34 AM
this post is EPIC!

...didn't see it on your list ;)

tschock
01-09-2020, 08:36 AM
Well, I for one won't believe that iconic is the most overused one until we start seeing some civil lawsuits about it. :cool:

Phil68
01-09-2020, 08:58 AM
...for people to stop using the most overused word in the history of the world in their posts. Yes, of course I am talking about "Iconic." For the love of God, please use something else. I'm not alone. We can't take it anymore!!!!!!! :cool:

Here is an imperfect, but quite far-reaching, list of words/short phrases I quickly cobbled together that can easily be switched in before you even think about hitting the 'i' on your keyboard to start writing that hackneyed, trite, tired, cliched, played-out word. Just look over the list and choose the one that works best for you in your post. I beg of you...please. It's easy, they're in alphabetical order. I'll even amend the list to add other words that work, if people have suggestions...

• archetypal
• banner
• canonical
• celebrated
• chief
• classic
• consequential
• definitive
• distinctive
• elite
• emblematic
• eminent
• epochal
• essential
• exalted
• exemplary
• extraordinary
• fabled
• famed
• famous
• featured
• flagship
• glorious
• highly-regarded
• historic
• illustrious
• important
• key
• lauded
• leading
• legendary
• lionized
• magnificent
• marvelous
• momentous
• most important
• one and only
• paradigmatic
• paragon
• pivotal
• popular
• powerful
• premier
• primary
• prime
• principal
• prized
• prominent
• prototypical
• quintessential
• renowned
• revered
• seminal
• showcased
• supreme
• time-honored
• top of mind
• well-established
• well-known

Darren,
Today, you are the King. How on Earth did you nail this so perfectly?!?
Can we remove "Elite", however? That one is as overused as iconic, Lol.

Fuddjcal
01-09-2020, 09:01 AM
you forgot the words FAKE, Soaked, Trimmed, Doctored and Scam

Rhotchkiss
01-09-2020, 09:20 AM
Well, I for one won't believe that iconic is the most overused one until we start seeing some civil lawsuits about it. :cool:

Great post!

cardinalcollector
01-09-2020, 09:29 AM

First of all, great thread Darren!
Second of all, I spewed my coffee on this quote by eagleeye.

bnorth
01-09-2020, 09:31 AM
What word would describe this card?

cammb
01-09-2020, 09:41 AM
Must have gotten a thesaurus for Christmas

drcy
01-09-2020, 09:56 AM
How about use the word only when it's iconic.

Fair to call the T206 Wagner iconic or the Iwo Jima photo iconic.

Aquarian Sports Cards
01-09-2020, 11:07 AM

Epic post...

Phil68
01-09-2020, 11:19 AM

Ok....another King. There must be 2 Kings today. Dam, this made me laugh my ass off.

todeen
01-09-2020, 11:31 AM

I appreciated the TPG for this card. Made me chuckle. Would you call it "infamous"?

perezfan
01-09-2020, 12:35 PM

Ben, it might be time to create a follow-up card, and eventually a Checklist (the way things are going).

Perhaps the next version can feature Mathis/Sloan/Probstein as the Second Series ****Face Trio.

irishdenny
01-09-2020, 01:37 PM

Ben,

Can i get a 100 of these Cards from You?

Really, i'd like to randomly send them in bulk orders jus to see if they'll slab one!? :)

PLMK ~

bnorth
01-09-2020, 02:08 PM
Ben, it might be time to create a follow-up card, and eventually a Checklist (the way things are going).

Perhaps the next version can feature Mathis/Sloan/Probstein as the Second Series ****Face Trio.

I did not create that card. Someone posted it on here and I just copied it and made a few. The only thing I did was remove the Topps logo it had on it. I think there was 4 or 5 different ones.

darwinbulldog
01-09-2020, 02:41 PM
Also: “Awesome”. Perhaps the most absurdly overused word of the century. Do you know what most people really mean when they saw “Awesome” anymore? They mean it’s fine. It’s ok. Good. But mostly just ... fine. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same across the pond, except it's brilliant instead of awesome.

JollyElm
01-09-2020, 03:03 PM
this post is EPIC!

...didn't see it on your list ;)

Done.

chalupacollects
01-09-2020, 03:04 PM

That would be "Fantabulous!"

whitehse
01-10-2020, 11:12 PM
I disagree

Super is the most overused word right now and it drives me crazy

"I am super pumped for this opportunity"

"I am super excited"

"This card is super incredible"

Arrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhh

PowderedH2O
01-11-2020, 09:17 AM
The term that most annoys me is "unanswered" in sports. Anytime a team strings together some run of consecutive points, that term seems to be said by the announcer. "Unanswered" would seem to be "not answered", so even if you scored three consecutive touchdowns, once the other team has scored, the "unanswered" is gone. Plus, it isn't really that great of a term anyway.

kailes2872
01-11-2020, 11:14 AM
I'd sooner see "iconic" used ad nauseam instead of the corny slang prevelant now like "GOAT".

I am glad that I am not the only one that this irritates. GOAT means Greatest of all time. Forget for a moment the subjectivity of assigning - but Greatest means one singular player, thing, etc.

I saw an interview with the presumed MVP of the NFL this year and they asked him about 4 or 5 players during the interview. With each one, he said GOAT - so all five were the greatest??

The goat emoji that everyone uses for everybody and everything drives me batty as well - but, when I tell my kids this, I get an eye roll and an OK Boomer! response.

They think that the emoji is ICONIC!

perezfan
01-11-2020, 12:09 PM
GOAT irritates the hell out of me as well. And the GOAT keeps changing month to month, which makes no sense either... If one is truly the greatest of all-time, it wont change on a dime.

But the worst part is the "recent memory syndrome" that everyone in the media seems to have. In Football, for instance, the history of great QBs started with Montana in the '80s. That's about as far back as they're capable of going.

You'll only get a perplexed look if you try to include Tittle, Baugh, or even Unitas in the conversation. So the GOAT has to be someone who's currently playing or recently retired. Meaningless and annoying, IMO.

drcy
01-11-2020, 12:20 PM
Also, goat has dual and opposite meaning in sports.

Kawika
01-11-2020, 12:48 PM
When it comes to superlatives you can't beat penultimate.

bbcard1
01-11-2020, 01:08 PM
GOAT irritates the hell out of me as well. And the GOAT keeps changing month to month, which makes no sense either... If one is truly the greatest of all-time, it wont change on a dime.

But the worst part is the "recent memory syndrome" that everyone in the media seems to have. In Football, for instance, the history of great QBs started with Montana in the '80s. That's about as far back as they're capable of going.

You'll only get a perplexed look if you try to include Tittle, Baugh, or even Unitas in the conversation. So the GOAT has to be someone who's currently playing or recently retired. Meaningless and annoying, IMO.

I have a different problem. There is a time honored meaning for the term goat in sports, and it is someone who is responsible to a catastrophic turn of events for their teams, particularly in a key game.

Honestly, the current vernacular really grinds my gears.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1387673-50-biggest-goat-moments-in-world-series-history

JollyElm
01-12-2020, 03:36 PM
The Chiefs, so far, have 41 unanswered points today. :D

Mark17
01-12-2020, 03:42 PM
The Chiefs, so far, have 41 unanswered points today. :D

An iconic performance! Mahomes, Reid, and Kelce are all GOAT!

bmattioli
01-12-2020, 04:16 PM
Beside Iconic, I can not stand the phases:

"Reaching out"
"Let's connect"
"Moving forward"
"That being said"

All douchey..

egri
01-12-2020, 05:22 PM
I’m surprised no one has mentioned ‘literally’ yet. It’s even more misused and overused, IMO.

kailes2872
01-12-2020, 06:07 PM
I’m surprised no one has mentioned ‘literally’ yet. It’s even more misused and overused, IMO.

Literally, Basically, Essentially - I have put a ban on those words in my home.

JollyElm
01-12-2020, 06:18 PM
Whenever I hear somebody use the word "literally," I know without question they are saying something that is NOT literal at all.

gracecollector
01-15-2020, 10:51 AM
When it comes to superlatives you can't beat penultimate.

Sure you can. It literally means "second to last." So it only beats one superlative.

I'll take iconic all day over someone referring to a card as "sick."

Kawika
01-15-2020, 12:56 PM
Sure you can. It literally means "second to last." So it only beats one superlative.

Yeah, I know. "Penultimate" and its incorrect usage was the grist of a bygone episode of Net54. Was sort of hilarious then, probably not so much now.

RIP Archive

Paul S
01-16-2020, 12:27 PM
I'd describe it as acquaintances. Sorry, best superlative I can come up with:p

bnorth
01-16-2020, 12:31 PM
I'd describe as either quaint or acquaintances. Sorry, best superlatives I can come up with:p

We all have shady acquaintances my friend.;)

leaflover
01-16-2020, 01:58 PM
What ever happened to after a "thank you" a simple "you're welcome"?

Instead we get a "no problem". That bugs me.

Leon
01-20-2020, 07:50 AM
What ever happened to after a "thank you" a simple "you're welcome"?

Instead we get a "no problem". That bugs me.

C'mon Mike. Even I say "no prob" fairly often. I consider it a you're welcome sometimes. Maybe I will have to reconsider that phrase.
My least favorite, overused word is "amazing".

JollyElm
03-14-2021, 03:59 PM
It is time to bump this thread, because the widespread overuse of that godforsaken word on this site is batsh*t crazy!! Open (or click on) a freakin' thesaurus, people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a side note, watch any show on 'Discovery +' or The History Channel, or whatever, and the hosts continually trot out that stupid word every chance they get. When we start watching a show, we bet on the over/under for the number of occurrences. If it was a drinking game, we'd be on the floor within the first seven minutes!!!

Tom Hufford
03-14-2021, 04:09 PM
I can't remember who or where, but it seems to me that I saw an autograph recently that the signer had put "GOAT" under the signature.

The only autograph like that that I would even be mildly interested in would be if it was an item signed by Fred Merkle. Can you imagine a T206 card signed that way?

brianp-beme
03-14-2021, 04:27 PM
See below for exciting new update

Brian

brianp-beme
03-14-2021, 04:39 PM
I can't remember who or where, but it seems to me that I saw an autograph recently that the signer had put "GOAT" under the signature.

The only autograph like that that I would even be mildly interested in would be if it was an item signed by Fred Merkle. Can you imagine a T206 card signed that way?

I'm pretty sure Merkle would have signed it 'GOAT/B', which of course stands for "Greatest of All Time, subcategory Boner"

Brian

JollyElm
08-08-2022, 04:16 PM
Reading through recent threads, one thing is beyond obvious...
IT IS TIME TO BUMP THE HECK OUT OF THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!

For the love of God, use a different word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Eric72
08-08-2022, 04:30 PM
Reading through recent threads, one thing is beyond obvious...
IT IS TIME TO BUMP THE HECK OUT OF THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!

For the love of God, use a different word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Darren,

Thanks for reviving this iconic thread. :D

jingram058
08-08-2022, 05:15 PM
And remember, fans...the next time you sell a card or "oooh" and "ahhh" over one someone else has, don't hesitate to use another worn out, over-used, cliche..."it has great EYE APPEAL!!!!!!"...as if it's a Rembrandt or a Van Gogh!

bnorth
08-08-2022, 05:36 PM
And remember, fans...the next time you sell a card or "oooh" and "ahhh" over one someone else has, don't hesitate to use another worn out, over-used, cliche..."it has great EYE APPEAL!!!!!!"...as if it's a Rembrandt or a Van Gogh!

I have seen a few Rembrandt paintings and a lot of Van Gogh paintings. They look better the farther away you stand. Now I know how to look at PSA 1 cards to give them great "eye appeal".:D:D:D

jingram058
08-08-2022, 05:46 PM
I have seen a few Rembrandt paintings and a lot of Van Gogh paintings. They look better the farther away you stand. Now I know how to look at PSA 1 cards to give them great "eye appeal".:D:D:D

Now THAT's what I'm talking about!

JollyElm
08-08-2022, 06:07 PM
Darren,

Thanks for reviving this iconic thread. :D

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

deucetwins
08-09-2022, 02:52 PM
Irregardless of the fact...

Swell idea to make a drinking game of it. Iconic Bingo. Pick some of the words that have been mentioned in previous posts (iconic, GOAT, super, literally, etc.) and then go watch a live case/box break on Youtube. Hammered by the second pack.