PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen anything like this Ruth piece?

wazir of wham
01-08-2020, 02:13 PM
I picked up this piece a couple of years ago on ebay. The size is 18"x24" and looks to be an in-house sales campaign for William Oil-0-Matic Company.
The date is March 27, 1930.

LOUCARDFAN
01-08-2020, 02:15 PM
Never seen this before but it's a really cool item.

Snapolit1
01-08-2020, 07:10 PM
Indeed. Very cool.

Leon
01-14-2020, 02:38 PM
I picked up this piece a couple of years ago on ebay. The size is 18"x24" and looks to be an in-house sales campaign for William Oil-0-Matic Company.
The date is March 27, 1930.

Seen quite a few Ruth items but don't remember that one. Always nice to see something we haven't seen before.

doug.goodman
01-14-2020, 07:13 PM
Add me to the chorus of "cool"

wazir of wham
01-20-2020, 09:12 PM
Thanks fella's for the feedback. I contacted the McLean County Museum of History in Bloomington. During my research I found that they had a couple of boxes of Williams Oil-O-Matic items in their archives. They got back to me in a couple of days letting me know that they had no items resembling the Ruth piece!! Maybe good news for me!! I am thinking it's probably a pretty rare item. It has a special spot in my Memorabilia Room!!!

Thinking about having it conserved, any thoughts??

Thanks again!! Rich

Leon
01-24-2020, 11:00 AM
A good paper conservator can guide you as well as some folks on our forum. I have never had anything conserved but my Horner Composite was, in a minimalist fashion, before I acquired it. I think it enhanced it and it's value. If I ever sell it there will be full transparency. Conserving paper ephemera is a bit different than cards and not frowned on as much. :)

Thanks fella's for the feedback. I contacted the McLean County Museum of History in Bloomington. During my research I found that they had a couple of boxes of Williams Oil-O-Matic items in their archives. They got back to me in a couple of days letting me know that they had no items resembling the Ruth piece!! Maybe good news for me!! I am thinking it's probably a pretty rare item. It has a special spot in my Memorabilia Room!!!

Thinking about having it conserved, any thoughts??

Thanks again!! Rich

Exhibitman
01-24-2020, 12:50 PM
Go for it. The item is already showing acid burns and probably has even more damage under the mat. A cleaning, de-acidification and linen mounting will make it look much better and add lifespan to it as well. I'd personally not retouch it, but I like the character some wear brings to a piece like that. Last time I did something like that was several years ago and it ran me $250 for the cleaning/de-acidification/linen mounting.

Of course, you'll have to reframe with conservation quality materials, which will add to the cost.

wazir of wham
01-25-2020, 10:41 PM
Thanks fella's!! I will begin the process of finding a conservator somewhere here in central California, maybe Sacramento??

Leon
02-02-2020, 07:00 PM
Thanks fella's!! I will begin the process of finding a conservator somewhere here in central California, maybe Sacramento??

Let us know how it turns out.

BruceinGa
02-03-2020, 05:51 AM
A good framer should know about proper conservation methods.
btw, I was born in Bloomington.

wazir of wham
02-03-2020, 09:36 PM
I seen a framed piece on this forum sometime back I think in someone's memorabilia room where the Yankee related item was double matted with a very unique Pinstripe pattern. I think the colors were Dark Blue with Light Grey Pinstripes? If anyone out there can direct me to where I might find that type of Matt material I would really appreciate it!!

BruceinGa
02-04-2020, 05:48 AM
I haven't been active with framing in about 20 years so I'm not familiar with supplier websites.
You can ask a frame shop and see what they can find or you can google the following:
Alphamat, TruVue, and Crescent.
Make sure that you use archival quality in matboards, tape, foam core etc.

BruceinGa
02-04-2020, 09:17 AM
There are framing forums much like net54baseball. Try looking on one of these.

wazir of wham
02-04-2020, 10:16 AM
THANKS Bruce, I will check those sites out!!