PDA

View Full Version : Photo attachment help, please

Hankphenom
01-07-2020, 11:24 AM
I finally got my camera out and took some pictures of my collections and memorabilia room, but as has happened in the past (but not always), the JPEG files are too big. Mine are 3.51MB and I see the limit listed as 19.5KB. I'm using Photo Gallery. Would someone please advise this old tech dinosaur what I need to do to be able to attach my photos to posts?

Bicem
01-07-2020, 11:28 AM
Can't wait to see this!

Hankphenom
01-07-2020, 11:51 AM
Can't wait to see this! I suspect that you will be disappointed, Jeff, since most of the world-class stuff from the family and from my collecting has been sold off long ago. I still have some very cool stuff socked away, and there is some in the pictures, but this will just be what I finally got up for display to decorate my office. Nothing earth-shattering, I assure you. I'll leave that to you and the other whales!

bnorth
01-07-2020, 11:52 AM
I finally got my camera out and took some pictures of my collections and memorabilia room, but as has happened in the past (but not always), the JPEG files are too big. Mine are 3.51MB and I see the limit listed as 19.5KB. I'm using Photo Gallery. Would someone please advise this old tech dinosaur what I need to do to be able to attach my photos to posts?

The search function is your friend, I know I have posted this several times.

This is what I do. I use my phone camera to take the pics and crop/rotate or anything else I need to do on the phone usually. Then I email the pics to myself. When I do this I have the option to resize them. You can upload a pic to this site as long as it is 1.2MB or smaller.

I then go to my laptop and open my email and save the pics to my computer. Then click on the paperclip icon above the area you are typing in when posting. That will let you attach photos to your post.

Hope that helps, if you still have problems PM me and I will try to walk you through it.

Hankphenom
01-07-2020, 11:58 AM
Thanks, Ben. I don't have a phone (!), just a camera, will emailing myself the pics allow me to resize those? And I will take you up on the PM offer if I'm still having trouble, thanks again.

bnorth
01-07-2020, 12:01 PM
Thanks, Ben. I don't have a phone (!), just a camera, will emailing myself the pics allow me to resize those? And I will take you up on the PM offer if I'm still having trouble, thanks again.

No, just emailing them to yourself won't do anything. If you have them on your computer you should be able to edit them in Paint(comes free on most computers).

I will watch for a PM.:)

steve B
01-07-2020, 12:07 PM
No, just emailing them to yourself won't do anything. If you have them on your computer you should be able to edit them in Paint(comes free on most computers).

I will watch for a PM.:)

Yes, Paint is the easiest if you have it.

My email is old, and has a limit to the inbox size... so Bens trick won't work for me. I just put the phone on the USB cable just like the camera. (Ok, not just like, since my camera takes a weird cable, but close enough.. )

Hankphenom
01-07-2020, 02:12 PM
I have them in Photo Gallery, which seems to have all kinds of bells and whistles and must surely allow me to do what I need to do before I put them in my computer photo files. There is a "resize" function that gives me several options from 640 (640 whats?) to 1280, but what does that have to do with KBs or MBs? As you can tell, I'm easily confused by this stuff.

bnorth
01-07-2020, 02:17 PM
I have them in Photo Gallery, which seems to have all kinds of bells and whistles and must surely allow me to do what I need to do before I put them in my computer photo files. There is a "resize" function that gives me several options from 640 (640 whats?) to 1280, but what does that have to do with KBs or MBs? As you can tell, I'm easily confused by this stuff.

No idea.:D

Maybe try resizing one or two and then go to the bottom of the mainpage to the "test" area and try and post a pic there. You can't just post a pic, you have to add some text. I just add any word in the text area and then hit the preview post button and see what happens.

Another trick I use is to take a pic of a bigger area than I want to post and then when I crop it to what I want to post it is small enough to work.

Jobu
01-07-2020, 02:19 PM
Sending you an email Hank. :)