PDA

View Full Version : Who Would You Guys Trust...

Phil68
01-04-2020, 05:45 PM
On this board to assess the complete authenticity of a pre-war sportscard?
I'm sure we can name dozens of folks. Many of our own egos would rightfully claim ourselves. Ourselves aside,
for now, lets just call out 2 or 3 "go to" guys that you'd trust to authenticate an item prior to purchase.

BeanTown
01-04-2020, 08:06 PM
Pete Calderon, Leon L, Dan McKee, and Orlando R

bnorth
01-04-2020, 08:50 PM
Gary Moser, Rick Probstein, Brent Huigens, and the brothers that ran CandiMan auctions to name a few.

Aquarian Sports Cards
01-04-2020, 08:53 PM
You can always trust those guys. As long as you know what they do, you can trust them to do it!

Phil68
01-04-2020, 09:10 PM

Pete, Leon, Dan, Orlando
Which states are you folks residing these days?

bnorth
01-04-2020, 09:11 PM
You can always trust those guys. As long as you know what they do, you can trust them to do it!

I am sure the people I mentioned would know how to spot a real unaltered card WAY better than most.

JackW
01-04-2020, 09:22 PM
Scott Russell, Ted Z., Ryan Hotchkiss immediately come to mind.

steve B
01-04-2020, 09:50 PM
Add Ben, and Barry S assuming he'll be back someday. As well as a few other people.

That being said, everyone has an area they are better at. So it would depend on the card.

Rhotchkiss
01-04-2020, 10:13 PM
Thanks Jack, but I am 100% NOT on this list.

There are guys who are especially knowledgeable about certain issues/sets. So the “expert(s)” change depending on the specific card. There is a ton of t206 experts and a gaggle of guys I ask opinions of for t206. There are other guys I rely on for 1910’s E & T cards, post cards, Ruth items, Cracker Jacks, m101s and E120+, etc. I know relatively little, but sometimes I know who to ask. And even then, I am sure I have some bum cards in my collection (I bet we all do).

brianp-beme
01-05-2020, 12:59 AM

One of these fellows sold me a non-authentic vintage card many a year ago. It looked good, but there was always something about it that bothered me. When I put it for sale a few years back on ebay, I got my only return due to authenticity when the buyer pointed out why it was not an original card.

Even the best and most honest of us can be fooled.

Brian

ALBB
01-05-2020, 06:20 AM
I would add -
Flagman, Jake, and Ted

ValKehl
01-05-2020, 05:42 PM
There are guys who are especially knowledgeable about certain issues/sets. So the “expert(s)” change depending on the specific card. There is a ton of t206 experts and a gaggle of guys I ask opinions of for t206. There are other guys I rely on for 1910’s E & T cards, post cards, Ruth items, Cracker Jacks, m101s and E120+, etc. I know relatively little, but sometimes I know who to ask. And even then, I am sure I have some bum cards in my collection (I bet we all do).

I agree 100% with Ryan. If you will tell us what set the card in question is from, you will most likely receive the best advice re who has expertise re that specific set.

2dueces
01-05-2020, 06:15 PM
Can’t believe my name isn’t on this list? I slept at a Holiday Inn last night.

Leon
01-05-2020, 08:10 PM
Andy Broome at BVG....hands down, to me.

Luke
01-05-2020, 08:56 PM
Unless you have something incredibly rare, most people on here could help you with authenticity. I'd just post it here if you want help. If you do have something rare, the answer of who can help you best will probably depend on which issue(s) you have.

packs
01-06-2020, 07:00 AM
Yeah, I feel like anyone who has been collecting cards for a long time could tell you in a few seconds whether or not a card is authentic. Especially if it's a raw card.

Phil68
01-06-2020, 11:27 AM

Leon,
Is Andy a member here?

biggsdaddycool
01-06-2020, 10:50 PM

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leon
01-07-2020, 07:28 AM
Leon,
Is Andy a member here?

Yes, but he doesn't post often. For transparency I have known Andy for 15+ years and consider him a good hobby friend. And BVG is just as hard on the few things I have submitted to them as any others. The thing is, all of the TPG's should know that cards are liquid so the grade has to stand on its own. Actually the few things I have submitted to BVG were graded a tad harsh if anything. What we have seen with TPGs lately disgusts me, and most real hobbyists, not just in it for the money (though I have been accused of that and everything else under the sun :)). I don't think I have any BVG cards in my collection right now. Their marketing of their vintage is far behind PSA and even behind SGC, so my cards are in those holders.