PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts for MLB GM's

Aquarian Sports Cards
01-02-2020, 07:44 PM
Has all of the innings limits reduced the incidence of arm injuries? From all I can find the answer is a resounding "NO." Do all pitchers get worse as they progress through the line up multiple times. Historically the answer is again "NO" many aces were (and are) the kind of guys you had to get to early or you were doomed. (which is why it's a terrible idea to bring Kershaw in as a reliever just because it's the post season. He is much more vulnerable at the beginning of an outing.)

Maybe treat pitchers like individuals and find out the capacities and capabilities for each one instead of deciding that a one size fits all approach is ideal.

Oh, and give Mike Marshall a call, especially if you're a team with budget issues, what do you have to lose???

packs
01-03-2020, 07:00 AM
Definitely agree. The Yankees limited Severino in 2018 and what did it do for them? He missed almost the entire 2019 season.

However, there is the case of Tanaka, who I think is the perfect example of your tailored thinking. The Yankees have successfully avoided any kind of major surgery on an elbow they know is bound to need it through careful management of him. But it seems to me that not everyone requires this approach and this approach may in fact do more harm than good for a lot of people.

steve B
01-03-2020, 04:48 PM
From what I've heard playing at that level has a huge mental component. Some pitchers just aren't suited to be relivers of any kind, some don't make good starters, and a few are like Tim Wakefield and will pretty much pitch whenever for whatever reason.. start, relieve, close, come in really early as a reliever in a blowout and take some lumps to give the bullpen some rest.
Eckersley had to fail and be talked into becoming a reliever. He just couldn't be a fancy pitcher, but couldn't go 5 or more innings anymore.