PDA

View Full Version : RIP Don Larsen.

Brian Van Horn
01-01-2020, 10:31 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/new-york-yankees-pitcher-don-larsen-perfect-game-world-series-died-cancer-battle-035717100.html

71buc
01-01-2020, 10:47 PM
I took my family to dinner in Seattle this evening. During the drive up my 17 year old daughter was telling her boyfriend about how I made her wait in line for two hours to get an autograph when she was 6. She told him that he was an old Yankee who was very friendly. She said he did something special. She then said to me, " Hey dad what was that guys name?" When I got home an hour later we learned that Don Larsen had just died. Rest in peace Mr. Larsen.

Stampsfan
01-01-2020, 11:48 PM
Sorry to hear this. One of my earliest nostalgia baseball memories is the final out on grainy black and white footage, jumping with Yogi. Glad the “only postseason no-hitter” lasted for so many years.
Rest in Paradise

Case12
01-02-2020, 07:45 AM
Met him several times. Really nice guy! Pillar of baseball history. RIP.

JoeDfan
01-02-2020, 10:02 AM
My friend once told me to send him a check, he gave the money to some charity(?).
So I did, and a few weeks later, I got an awesome photo in the mail, signed by both him and Yogi.

Then I looked at the cancelled check, and he had signed the back!

One of my favorite pictures, and still hangs on the wall today.

pclpads
01-02-2020, 11:43 AM
A truly odd footnote to Larsen: Both he and David Wells were Yanks; each threw a perfect game as Yanks; and the kicker - each went to the same HS - Pt. Loma High in San Diego. What are the odds?

tedzan
01-02-2020, 07:57 PM
Final pitch to Dale Mitchell

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/large/donlarsenperfectphotoAutog.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/1955BDonLarsenAutograph.jpg

October 8th 1956

I told my Mom that I had a bad stomach ache. I wanted to stay home and watch the World Series game. And, what a game it was.
Don Larsen's perfect game vs the Brooklyn Dodgers. During the top of the 9th, when Furillo, Campy and Dale Mitchell came to bat,
I was praying for Don to get them out. Needless to say, it was the greatest BB game that I ever saw.

About 48 years later, I ran into Don Larsen in Cooperstown on HOF weekend. As I approached him, I said to him..."guess what was
the only day I ever played hooky from school back in the 1950's ?"

Don looked at me with a skeptical expression on his face. So we talked for quite a while about the events of Oct 8th 1956 while he
signed a few items for me. We talked about the two great defensive plays that saved the no-hitter. You could see a sparkle in Don's
blue eyes when he recalled the head's up play by Gil McDougald retrieving the ball off Andy Carey's miscue of a line drive off the bat
of Jackie Robinson, and rifled it to 1st base to get Jackie out by a split-second. We talked about Mickey Mantle's great running catch
of Gil Hodges 420-foot drive into "death valley" (left-center field). I found Don to be a very humble guy. He said "The Dodgers made
it easy for me, I only threw 97 pitches".

Then as I was leaving, Don said...."I don't believe you ?"
I stopped and asked him about what ?
Don said...."I don't believe that Oct 8th 1956 was the only day you played hooky from school". We parted laughing.

GOD Bless your soul, Don....and comfort your family and friends.

TED Z

JackW
01-02-2020, 08:03 PM
What a story, Ted! And what a life you've had in baseball!!!!

RCMcKenzie
01-02-2020, 08:17 PM
That Bowman TV is great. I like how he wrote "To Ted", classic.

One of my very first "vintage" buys with my own money was around 1978 at a flea-market. I paid $2 for a 1956 Topps Larsen. I kept telling my parents what a great deal I got and how undervalued that card was. I couldn't find it today, but I still have it somewhere packed away in a 1000 count box. Great memories.

mr2686
01-02-2020, 09:30 PM
Remembering Don.

tjb1952tjb
01-02-2020, 10:31 PM
…..a triumphant image for the ages. RIP Don Larsen.

dlfallen
01-03-2020, 09:40 AM
Summer of '56. I was 11 and looking forward to starting Junior High (7th grade). That summer I purchased a transister radio out of my paper route money. These radios were expensive then so uncommon among kids my age. I would lie awake under my blankets, night after night, listening to my beloved Seattle Rainiers. With the World Series on the horizon I hatched a plot to listen to the games while at school.

I went to the local Goodwill store and purchased a very thick book with a nondescript cover. I then hollowed a space in the book to just fit my transister radio. I experimented with the volume until I could just hear it if the closed book was next to my ear and I could suppress the volume by pressing down on the cover. On the fateful day I smuggled the radio into school and would "work" on my schoolwork with my head close to the desk where my "book" was. The teacher had the habit of walking the aisles but I merely pressed on the book cover whenever he started in my direction. After class I was pleased with my cleverness, but as the students filed out I heard the teacher say "David, I need to talk to you". Doomed, I slowly walked over to him and after the last student had left he asked me "what's the score"! We need more teachers like that!

I was able to tell that story to Don Larson at a Tacoma Dome show many years ago. He was indeed very warm and gracious.

mr2686
01-03-2020, 01:42 PM
Summer of '56. I was 11 and looking forward to starting Junior High (7th grade). That summer I purchased a transister radio out of my paper route money. These radios were expensive then so uncommon among kids my age. I would lie awake under my blankets, night after night, listening to my beloved Seattle Rainiers. With the World Series on the horizon I hatched a plot to listen to the games while at school.

I went to the local Goodwill store and purchased a very thick book with a nondescript cover. I then hollowed a space in the book to just fit my transister radio. I experimented with the volume until I could just hear it if the closed book was next to my ear and I could suppress the volume by pressing down on the cover. On the fateful day I smuggled the radio into school and would "work" on my schoolwork with my head close to the desk where my "book" was. The teacher had the habit of walking the aisles but I merely pressed on the book cover whenever he started in my direction. After class I was pleased with my cleverness, but as the students filed out I heard the teacher say "David, I need to talk to you". Doomed, I slowly walked over to him and after the last student had left he asked me "what's the score"! We need more teachers like that!

I was able to tell that story to Don Larson at a Tacoma Dome show many years ago. He was indeed very warm and gracious.

Great Story! Reminds me of my 5th grade teacher Mrs. Hull. Never really liked her until she brought in a TV at lunch and let us watch the 1970 WS.

Mike D.
01-03-2020, 02:29 PM
RIP Mr. Larsen

http://baseball-trivia-game.com/ttm/autos/larsen.jpg

http://baseball-trivia-game.com/ttm/autos/larsen2.jpg