PDA

View Full Version : The "ole" eraser Magee trick....ugh....

vthobby
12-30-2019, 01:41 PM
Has anyone seen this exact card? I was supposed to be looking at a collection in Vermont tomorrow and these photos were sent so my hopes are already dashed and my guard is up.

Magee looks clearly doctored to me. I also wanted to see if anyone was missing this exact card from their collection as this "collector" seems a bit shady tbh.

Another beauty, an A&G in a screw down with a PSA label stuck to the top?!?!?!

Peace, Mike

PS I looked up the PSA cert # on the A&G screw down sticker and it does not exist! What a surprise! :)

bbcard1
12-30-2019, 01:52 PM
The gift of the Magi?

You're walking into a situation that is almost certainly going to be bad. I would examine my motives for walking in at all. It is fairly obvious they are intentionally trying to cheat someone.

vthobby
12-30-2019, 01:53 PM
The gift of the Magi?

You're walking into a situation that is almost certainly going to be bad. I would examine my motives for walking in at all. It is fairly obvious they are intentionally trying to cheat someone.

I agree. I have no motives only to find out if this guy has stolen cards or has all fake stuff. I'd like to call the local police to meet him if both are true.

I just saw the pics and was hoping it would be a real collection but its obviously a trap or a bad seed so I'd like to try and find out more about the guy.

Peace, Mike

PS I'm going to pass actually. He wants me to drive an hour away to look at the stuff and its all fishy. Ugh!!! If anyone used to own this Magee let me know and I can report the guy to local police but they will not do anything if its a real card that has been erased. Which I think it clearly is. If its been stolen then we can do something however.

swarmee
12-30-2019, 02:02 PM
The Ginter has the look of an artificially aged reprint based on the crazing lines that come from soaking the card in tea and then baking it. At least that's how I've heard they do that.

swarmee
12-30-2019, 02:03 PM
Well, even if it was the MAGI_E instead of MAGEE, the 'E' is also missing. So I'm not sure there would be much of a bump for it.

Johnny630
12-30-2019, 02:03 PM
Didn’t this happen before with a slabbed Name Changed Altered Name Magee Several Years Back

BabyRuth
12-30-2019, 02:06 PM
That is the rare MAGI variation not to be confused with the more common MAGIE.
Oh, and I love the new PSA screw down slab!!!

bobbyw8469
12-30-2019, 02:08 PM
The cert number on the PSA label is no good.

ullmandds
12-30-2019, 02:17 PM
the a and g is fake fake fake!

Republicaninmass
12-30-2019, 02:54 PM
I'd be skeptical of going and wouldn't bring cash

Meet in a public place etc

ruth-gehrig
12-30-2019, 02:56 PM
Not familiar with the Magie Eraser? Works great:D

irv
12-30-2019, 03:22 PM
I'd be skeptical of going and wouldn't bring cash

Meet in a public place etc

Not a chance I'd be going now. Crooked AF so lords knows what this guy is capable of?

ctownboy
12-30-2019, 03:29 PM
In our area, there are police stations that have safe zones for people to meet for things just like this. I would see if the joker would meet at his local police station with you...

David

Aquarian Sports Cards
12-30-2019, 04:52 PM
http://birminghamauctioneers.com/net54/magie.jpg

vthobby
12-30-2019, 05:02 PM
In our area, there are police stations that have safe zones for people to meet for things just like this. I would see if the joker would meet at his local police station with you...

David

They don't, but I like the idea of asking him to meet at the police station! Ha! I'm passing entirely but that's an interesting thought!

Peace, Mike

PS I guess in reality, all Police Stations should be considered safe zones right? Definitely a good idea though to maybe meet in the police parking lot and let them know what is going on in the future. Thanks!

mrdbrooks77
12-31-2019, 10:16 AM
http://birminghamauctioneers.com/net54/magie.jpgAwesome

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

kdixon
12-31-2019, 11:35 AM
That's funny Scott.

philliesfan
01-02-2020, 05:40 AM
Before going to meet him, rent a cops uniform and see what happens.

steve B
01-02-2020, 09:20 AM
Before going to meet him, rent a cops uniform and see what happens.

An arrest for impersonating an officer?

Worst idea yet