PDA

View Full Version : Which Cobb would be a better investment

Phil68
12-27-2019, 10:05 PM
Assuming both cards are centered, relatively clean and grade about EX...my kids will own these eventually; assuming I don't outlive my money
T205 or E95
Reason I ask is...I'm clearing room for a card and one of my Cobbs may have to go...I have owned these for awhile and I'm a bit out of touch on how desirable each is. I simply have not followed the vintage card market very much.

Don't you wish sometimes that money DID grow on trees?

BeanTown
12-27-2019, 10:08 PM
My vote is the T205. You can't go wrong with either.

Aquarian Sports Cards
12-27-2019, 10:11 PM
I'd pick the T205

brianp-beme
12-27-2019, 11:56 PM
Probably T205, but either one is a great card likely to continue appreciation (and being appreciated) in the future.

Brian

rats60
12-28-2019, 04:07 AM
Another vote for T205. One of the most beautiful cards ever made.

T206Collector
12-28-2019, 06:06 AM
E95 — when in doubt pick the one that has a neck, and isn’t a floating, bloated face, with his eyes too close together.

Never liked the T205s much. Sometimes they get it right (Mathewson), but there are so many poorly thought out examples.

Vintageclout
12-28-2019, 07:18 AM
T205 all day long. In lieu of the T206 Cobb pricing spikes, the T205 subject will continue to follow in it’s footsteps.

darwinbulldog
12-28-2019, 10:29 AM
I think the expected future value of the cards is already factored into their current prices, so there's no particular reason to think either one is a better investment than the other.

Phil68
12-28-2019, 06:50 PM
I think the expected future value of the cards is already factored into their current prices, so there's no particular reason to think either one is a better investment than the other.

Really? Interesting. You believe the supply/demand has found its level and it's got nowhere to go but downward? Is this a response to the market being held up by a select few and the confidence of TPG companies?

egbeachley
12-28-2019, 07:00 PM

100% agree.

If one card is valued at twice another, then it’s a tossup whether that card will be twice the others value 20 years from now. So either one is as good as the other regarding investment potential over the other

seff
12-28-2019, 07:06 PM
I'd go with E95.

nat
12-28-2019, 07:39 PM
"Really? Interesting. You believe the supply/demand has found its level and it's got nowhere to go but downward?"

That isn't what he said. Say that there's an X% chance that the T205 will increase by $Y and a Z% that it will increase by $W, over the course of some number of years. The idea is that the price of the T205 includes ((X*Y)+(Z*W))*(some discount rate for future money). And that the same is true for the other card (with different X,Y,Z,W). They can still appreciate in value, but for whichever one you can expect to appreciate more in value, you'll pay a proportionally higher cost in order to capture that increase in value.

The appreciation can be due to the discount rate, or if the actual amount by which the card increases in value ends up being greater than (X*Y)+(Z*W).

I'm not endorsing this idea, just explaining it. You'd expect it to be true if all of the cards were purchased by rational investors who are equally well-informed. Whether it would be true in other markets I don't know.

Johnny630
12-28-2019, 07:43 PM
Just remember this when asking for investment advice in cards, it’s never a profit until you sell for a gain and never a loss until you sell for a loss. Many fail to have a sell plan/exit strategy missing out letting emotions get the best of them.

Just my two cents worth.

Phil68
12-28-2019, 07:59 PM

"Really? Interesting. You believe the supply/demand has found its level and it's got nowhere to go but downward?"

That isn't what he said. Say that there's an X% chance that the T205 will increase by $Y and a Z% that it will increase by $W, over the course of some number of years. The idea is that the price of the T205 includes ((X*Y)+(Z*W))*(some discount rate for future money). And that the same is true for the other card (with different X,Y,Z,W). They can still appreciate in value, but for whichever one you can expect to appreciate more in value, you'll pay a proportionally higher cost in order to capture that increase in value.

The appreciation can be due to the discount rate, or if the actual amount by which the card increases in value ends up being greater than (X*Y)+(Z*W).

I'm not endorsing this idea, just explaining it. You'd expect it to be true if all of the cards were purchased by rational investors who are equally well-informed. Whether it would be true in other markets I don't know.

Got it. Makes good sense to me. Thank you!

pokerplyr80
12-28-2019, 08:04 PM
I feel like many of the E cards are considerably under valued compared to others from the same period. I'd keep the E95 personally unless the t205 is better looking for the grade.

CobbSpikedMe
12-28-2019, 08:24 PM
I feel like many of the E cards are considerably under valued compared to others from the same period. I'd keep the E95 personally unless the t205 is better looking for the grade.

Remember, the best investment would be the card that appreciates the most making you more money on your initial investment. I agree that caramel cards are undervalued and the e95 may be the better investment at this time. That's not saying the t205 doesn't have upside, just that the ROI might be better on the e95 at this time. What do I know though, I'm just a low grade baseball card collector. :rolleyes:

rats60
12-28-2019, 08:26 PM

That is not a good thing in this hobby. I have been hearing how undervalued Mays cards are compared to Mantle cards for 35 years. Yet the gap just continues to grow. Most of the time "undervalued" cards remain so. T205 cards are more popular. I don't see that changing.

CobbSpikedMe
12-28-2019, 08:32 PM
That is not a good thing in this hobby. I have been hearing how undervalued Mays cards are compared to Mantle cards for 35 years. Yet the gap just continues to grow. Most of the time "undervalued" cards remain so. T205 cards are more popular. I don't see that changing.

Mays v. Mantle is not the same as Cobb v. Cobb though. Just sayin'. ;)

pokerplyr80
12-28-2019, 11:10 PM

I see your point, and you may be right. But these are low pop cards. It doesn't take many new buyers to drive a sharp increase in price. I would still place my bet on the e95 assuming the same grade and appearance. Perhaps I'm biased because I'm not a fan of t205s in general. But there are quite a few e cards that seem like good buys to me.

ullmandds
12-29-2019, 06:42 AM
E95 cobb is:

-more beautiful pose than t205
-likely rarer than t205
-in a relatively small...easy to complete caramel set with no rarities

T205 Cobb is:

-an ornately decorated card with a tiny often oft registered image of cobb's head...you don't even get his neck!

-in a large...difficult to complete set that will always play 2nd or 3rd fiddle to t206

-more common

My collection:

Personally I have a t202 cobb/jennings in my collection...more for the center panel depicting cobbs famous slide.

I also have an e95 cobb...an e95ish candy box cobb card...and a tim carroll original of an e95 cobb...so maybe I'm biased.

Additionally I buy cards I like...when I have attempted to "invest" in cards I haven't done so well.

Is that an answer?

T206Collector
12-29-2019, 06:56 AM
E95 cobb is:

-more beautiful pose than t205
-likely rarer than t205
-in a relatively small...easy to complete caramel set with no rarities

T205 Cobb is:

-an ornately decorated card with a tiny often oft registered image of cobb's head...you don't even get his neck!

-in a large...difficult to complete set that will always play 2nd or 3rd fiddle to t206

-more common

My collection:

Personally I have a t202 cobb/jennings in my collection...more for the center panel depicting cobbs famous slide.

I also have an e95 cobb...an e95ish candy box cobb card...and a tim carroll original of an e95 cobb...so maybe I'm biased.

Additionally I buy cards I like...when I have attempted to "invest" in cards I haven't done so well.

Is that an answer?

Love love love that E95 box top, or display cut, or whatever. It’s awesome!

3-2-count
12-29-2019, 07:41 AM
If I had to choose between these two cards in regards to long term value in EX condition my choice would be the T205. I personally love this image of Ty due to it's colorful presentation.

See Leon's newly acquired Sgc 80 (6) example in the current December pick up thread. Excellence at it's best!

Leon
12-29-2019, 10:29 AM
If I had to choose between these two cards in regards to long term value in EX condition my choice would be the T205. I personally love this image of Ty due to it's colorful presentation.

See Leon's newly acquired Sgc 80 (6) example in the current December pick up thread. Excellence at it's best!

Thanks Tony. You have always had a great eye for cards with the best eye appeal. I understand why you wanted this one.
And while I love the E95 Cobby, T205 is my obvious choice.

http://luckeycards.com/tyt205.jpg

BeanTown
12-29-2019, 11:51 AM
And the Mic just got dropped. Great looking card Leon

CobbSpikedMe
12-29-2019, 12:12 PM
Love love love that E95 box top, or display cut, or whatever. It’s awesome!

And you can buy one right now from Dean's for a cool $20K.

Cobb (https://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-Ty-Cobb-E95-Promo-Card-AUTHENTIC/273908929485?var=573768170769)

LincolnVT
12-29-2019, 02:47 PM
Great card Leon. Those gold borders are hard to find W/O chipping issues. Very nice eye appeal. Congrats.

Thanks Tony. You have always had a great eye for cards with the best eye appeal. I understand why you wanted this one.
And while I love the E95 Cobby, T205 is my obvious choice.

http://luckeycards.com/tyt205.jpg