PDA

View Full Version : New Pickup - 1919 Curse of the Bambino Baseball Card!

mouschi
12-26-2019, 01:49 PM
I picked this up a couple months ago, but have been waiting until the 100th year anniversary to the day! I'm still jumping out of my skin excited about it :)

1919 W514 Babe Ruth! I made a graphic detailing what is so special about it as shown below:

http://mycollectionofcards.com/baseballcards/122619/1919-w514-babe-ruth.jpg

This card has flown way under the radar given its historical significance and who it is of. It is nowhere near the most popular Babe Ruth card (though I think it should be up there) - heck - it isn't even the most popular card in the set! That honor goes to the 1919 W514 Shoeless Joe Jackson card, as it is the same year as the Black Sox Scandal, and depicts him as a member of the White Sox. (Fun fact: Babe Ruth modeled his swing after Shoeless Joe!)

Anyway, I just thought I'd share a great pickup I'm excited about, while shedding some light on what it is - the Curse of the Bambino embodied in a baseball card!

DHogan
12-26-2019, 06:09 PM
Nice pick up. :)

bnorth
12-26-2019, 06:47 PM
Great card Tanner. One of my favorite strip cards and a very nice Ruth.

irishdenny
12-26-2019, 09:12 PM
Mouchi,

A couple of us have had the Same Thought! :)

W514 Babe Ruth: The Next Break Out Bambino
Baseball Card?

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/w514-babe-ruth-the-next-big-thing/

September 27, 2012 By Rich Mueller

RCMcKenzie
12-26-2019, 09:40 PM
Neat card. The only issue I have with the write-up is that the artwork is described as "Picasso-like". It looks more "Chic-Young-like" to me.

mouschi
12-26-2019, 11:47 PM
Thanks guys!

iowadoc77
12-27-2019, 05:26 AM
Best looking strip card I have seen! Congrats. And as always, great story to go along with it Tanner!

christopher.herman
12-31-2019, 03:32 AM
Here's a scan of mine. The Authentic grade on this one drives me bananas. It may actually be a hair short on the left side but I've seen others in much worse shape get a number grade. As always --- "buy the card, not the holder" --- which is especially true for strip cards!

dabigyankeeman
01-06-2020, 01:45 PM
I picked this up two months ago, not in the best shape, but I really wanted one of these.

BabyRuth
01-06-2020, 02:50 PM
Here's mine and another strip card I love!!

"Home Run King" and "King of the Bat"

That's a tough pair to beat!!

Leon
01-09-2020, 12:44 PM
Late to the party but great card, Tanner.

I picked this up a couple months ago, but have been waiting until the 100th year anniversary to the day! I'm still jumping out of my skin excited about it :)

1919 W514 Babe Ruth! I made a graphic detailing what is so special about it as shown below:

http://mycollectionofcards.com/baseballcards/122619/1919-w514-babe-ruth.jpg

This card has flown way under the radar given its historical significance and who it is of. It is nowhere near the most popular Babe Ruth card (though I think it should be up there) - heck - it isn't even the most popular card in the set! That honor goes to the 1919 W514 Shoeless Joe Jackson card, as it is the same year as the Black Sox Scandal, and depicts him as a member of the White Sox. (Fun fact: Babe Ruth modeled his swing after Shoeless Joe!)

Anyway, I just thought I'd share a great pickup I'm excited about, while shedding some light on what it is - the Curse of the Bambino embodied in a baseball card!

Snapolit1
01-11-2020, 04:38 PM
It's a nice strip card, I like the colors a lot. However, in my humble opinion this will never been the next big anything. A lot of folks don't like strip cards, particularly hand drawn ones. This drawing, while not the worst Ruth, really bears a slight resemblance. Will always be a cool Ruth card though.

ullmandds
01-11-2020, 04:40 PM
It's a nice strip card, I like the colors a lot. However, in my humble opinion this will never been the next big anything. A lot of folks don't like strip cards, particularly hand drawn ones. This drawing, while not the worst Ruth, really bears a slight resemblance. Will always be a cool Ruth card though.

I agree! I do not think this strip looks much like Ruth.

thecomebacker
01-11-2020, 08:25 PM
Beautiful Ruth. Love this card!

ullmandds
01-11-2020, 09:31 PM
It's an interesting, early ruth strip...probably one of a handful of issues issued shortly after he was traded to the yankees.

Ruth strips in general exploded in value the last 5 or so years. You used to get most strips for 1-200.

mouschi
01-11-2020, 09:44 PM
Thanks guys!

It's an interesting, early ruth strip...probably one of a handful of issues issued shortly after he was traded to the yankees.

Ruth strips in general exploded in value the last 5 or so years. You used to get most strips for 1-200.

If I were a betting man, I'd say this Ruth has a lot more room to grow. Time will tell, but I really like the chances!

ullmandds
01-11-2020, 09:46 PM
Thanks guys!

If I were a betting man, I'd say this Ruth has a lot more room to grow. Time will tell, but I really like the chances!

apparently you are...a betting man!

rgcards
12-16-2020, 03:17 PM
Found one