PDA

View Full Version : Blowout Thread Outing Another Alleged Card Doctor

Rhotchkiss
12-20-2019, 08:47 AM
Posted without comment. So more people see it, this should be its own thread rather then buried on page 100 of the outed-cards thread.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1340211

Fuddjcal
12-20-2019, 09:05 AM
Posted without comment. So more people see it, this should be its own thread rather then buried on page 100 of the outed-cards thread.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1340211

#4 doctor/dealer/scammer Exposed of at least 50 working with PWCC, Probstein and Comical COM. Easily a billion dollar scam. PSA closer to GAI everyday.

I know the entire baseball card and grading business is a money grab scam and nothing more. In time, all of you will know it too. Just follow ALL the money.

Keep revving up those pops, reviews and flips and don't forget the registry. :D:D:D if people weren't so gullible and moronic it would almost be funny.

Sean1125
12-20-2019, 09:39 AM
I woke up this morning to a text from a gentlemen I've dealt with in the past bringing this thread to my attention. It is not too pleasant to spend a couple hours in the morning reading false accusations and needing to study hundreds of replies via multiple sites to issue a statement.

I am quite irate because an anonymous individual has made an erroneous assumption that libels my and my companies name, assumes guilt by association, and is counterfactual.

Evan posted on the reddit thread, "There is so much misinformation in that thread that it’s entertaining." I would not call it entertaining, the words that come to mind are bothersome and alarming. The post involves me without facts, making stretch assumptions, and objectively false statements.

Invest In Baseball was hired by Cardology for the 2018 national to assess collections and market for inventory via our customer base and other means. IIB did not set up a booth and I worked the floor and out of the Cardology booth to help assess collections, ensure he was making fair deals, bring deals to the table, and help some lesser educated staff because of limited bandwidth. This buying ad is identical to the buying ads that were placed throughout the industry, sent to our email list, and was not conducted any differently than usual business other than I was hired, at a very handsome rate, to help Cardology.

I was actually extremely excited to be working with an NFL player, a Super Bowl champion at that. I am 100% sure every single person who has a business would be willing to work with someone who offers a huge advancement for your company via name association alone. Evan has always been cordial, stand-up, and follows through with his word. If it weren't for him I would not have been able to grow IIB as quickly as it did and I am eternally grateful. I make no comment on any of the accusations or assumptions made about him in the Blowout thread and only provide comment on the unfounded accusations relating to myself and IIB.

Via the anonymous posters definition, PWCC, Probstein, and COMC are all associates of Cardology-- they sold inventory. It is unwarranted to list IIB as an associate because the company was hired to work for Evan and unknowingly sold cards on consignment. I am sure there are hundreds of other vendors, auctions, and collectors who have unwittingly sold altered cards, by this posters definition he needs to research them and list them as associates.

Respectfully, I request that I be left out of this. I've mostly moved on from this industry for two years as a business and buy on the side as a hobby to populate my house and enjoy the past that brought me to where I am today.

Kind Regards,

Sean

Rhotchkiss
12-20-2019, 09:54 AM
Sean, your prompt response is appreciated; although I view the post as being about Evan.

For what it’s worth, in my limited dealings with Sean, he has been an honest and stand up guy. I am afraid there will be guilt by association and unfortunate collateral damage as facts come out.

Fuddjcal
12-20-2019, 10:24 AM
Sean,
While I appreciate your statement on the matter and want to give you the benefit of the doubt, the questions are starting to add up on Blowout?

"How many buyers of proven trimmed cards sold by investinbaseball in the OCSI thread have you contacted for refunds?"

"And you were listed as an associate as you were buying cards on his behalf."

"What can you tell us about your history with Scot Maxwell and Dick Towle?"

Please share with us what you know about the billion dollar scam and maybe I'll believe you? Start singing, what is it that you know? I mean, this is your business. if it was mine I would sure know what you know. Help us all know what you know. you are obviously involved to some degree in knowing something? What degree is it?

todeen
12-20-2019, 10:51 AM
That Babe Ruth Goudey! Wow! From Altered to a 4.

Fuddjcal
12-20-2019, 12:02 PM
That's what I thought Sean. Sorry, I don't believe you.

ullmandds
12-20-2019, 12:07 PM
It’s really quite comical how many if not all of these scenarios play out exactly the same????

perezfan
12-20-2019, 12:26 PM
The fact that there's a millionaire celebrity Superbowl Champion in on the fraud illustrates just how deep the corruption runs. And it does not bode well for PSA, as all of the cards exposed just happen to be in their slabs. :o

I bet the FBI is finding connections behind the scenes that we never imagined existed. Still just the tip of the iceberg...

samosa4u
12-20-2019, 12:42 PM
He made millions playing in the NFL and made a few mill selling that Mantle - why would he need to trim cards? Did he blow all his money away or something? Oh, and it looks like he is cracking jokes on BO. This whole thing is just messed up.

BLongley
12-20-2019, 03:00 PM
Sean,
While I appreciate your statement on the matter and want to give you the benefit of the doubt, the questions are starting to add up on Blowout?

"How many buyers of proven trimmed cards sold by investinbaseball in the OCSI thread have you contacted for refunds?"

"And you were listed as an associate as you were buying cards on his behalf."

"What can you tell us about your history with Scot Maxwell and Dick Towle?"

Please share with us what you know about the billion dollar scam and maybe I'll believe you? Start singing, what is it that you know? I mean, this is your business. if it was mine I would sure know what you know. Help us all know what you know. you are obviously involved to some degree in knowing something? What degree is it?

Curious is Sean will be back to answer? He seems to be reading up on the Hank Aaron trimmed thread at the moment...

cardsagain74
12-20-2019, 03:08 PM
He made millions playing in the NFL and made a few mill selling that Mantle - why would he need to trim cards? Did he blow all his money away or something? Oh, and it looks like he is cracking jokes on BO. This whole thing is just messed up.

Reference my post yesterday in the sister thread about this (a couple years ago, he bought 10 '86 fleer basketball packs for $2 k each from Vintage Breaks)

So if he did that kind of big $ highly negative EV stuff often enough, the money would disappear fairly quick

Rhotchkiss
12-20-2019, 03:52 PM
Found this article

http://www.sportscardradio.com/former-nfl-player-evan-mathis-accused-of-card-trimming/

Fuddjcal
12-20-2019, 05:41 PM
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=1185990

AND found this thread (Thanks to BO) on the 700K 68 Ryan for sale in the PWCC fake VAULT:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Look who made the last comment about this card when it was discussed here in 2014. You read that right, 2014. It's our own Evan Mathis, who claimed to be the owner of the card.:D:D

Please add another 700K to my 1-billion fraud estimate.

Over 4 million in trimmed cards outed just today. The level of this fraud is truly astounding but at least we know what's been going on now. Anyone else with their subs, pops, reviews, flips, and Registry are complete blithering IDIOTs for continuing on with these criminals. That's almost as funny as the scam itself.

oldjudge
12-20-2019, 07:12 PM
Was Evan the guy who sold the PSA9 or 10 '52 Topps Mantle in Heritage?

Scott L.
12-20-2019, 07:16 PM

Yep

japhi
12-20-2019, 08:10 PM
PSA provides direct grader access to old bald guys with fanny packs. Imagine the pull an All Pro lineman had with Joe and his guys.

BLongley
12-20-2019, 08:47 PM

Yes, but that card was seriously legit. He bought it as a 9, and it was graded many many years ago.

Nunzio11
12-20-2019, 09:12 PM
PSA provides direct grader access to old bald guys with fanny packs. Imagine the pull an All Pro lineman had with Joe and his guys.

Hilarious and spot on

Stampsfan
12-20-2019, 11:47 PM
It’s really quite comical how many if not all of these scenarios play out exactly the same????

Your comment makes me think about how a professional athlete typically reacts when getting caught using PED’s. Initial denial, comments around unintentionally taking something that was in cold medication or a supplement, having it all be a bunch of BS, and then serving the suspension or banishment.

robertsmithnocure
12-20-2019, 11:51 PM

How do you know that he made a “few mill” on his 1952 Topps Mantle. Do you know how much he paid for it?

perezfan
12-21-2019, 01:29 PM
Yes, but that card was seriously legit. He bought it as a 9, and it was graded many many years ago.

Having bought it many years ago means nothing. Just because the trimming scandal/fraud was exposed in 2019 doesn't mean it hasn't been happening for many years. PSA was no better back then than they are now. It's just come to light as of more recently, thanks to BODA.

perezfan
12-21-2019, 02:09 PM
Your comment makes me think about how a professional athlete typically reacts when getting caught using PED’s. Initial denial, comments around unintentionally taking something that was in cold medication or a supplement, having it all be a bunch of BS, and then serving the suspension or banishment.

Bingo...

They are so used to being put on pedestals, treated like Gods, and given perks/preferential treatment, that they don't know how to respond when confronted on something real.

They think they can talk their way out of controversy with condescending language, because nobody has ever had the nerve to challenge or confront them. They've been conditioned by the adoring public, to think they're invincible, above the law, and immune from such wrongdoings and crimes.

Very much like the PED examples cited above.

iowadoc77
12-21-2019, 02:34 PM
Darren Rovell tweeting about it.
Lots of comments including- what is card trimming
Still so many people who have absolutely no idea about any of this.

perezfan
12-21-2019, 02:58 PM
Darren Rovell tweeting about it.
Lots of comments including- what is card trimming
Still so many people who have absolutely no idea about any of this.

Yup... maybe "celebrity involvement" is what it takes for people to eventually catch on to the scandal and the Third Party Grading sham.

Though CU stock is finally trending downward, perhaps more widespread publicity like this will finally get it to tank. If I were a shareholder, I'd be selling before this story inevitably hits the presses even bigger.

Johnny630
12-21-2019, 03:16 PM
Sadly PSA is Teflon they will never be held accountable........ Emotions and Love of the Sport/Hobby cloud logic.

In my Opinion Investors will always be skeptical of this industry.....they’re going to find other hobbies for capital growth and appreciation. Ruined by Adam Henry’s

Touch'EmAll
12-21-2019, 03:32 PM
Real bummer what has come out. I haven't bought a significant card in quite a while now...gun-shy. Even years ago, when I was in the T206 star card market, many cards just didn't look right sizewise & boarderwise. I often passed on suspect looking cards and waited for appropriate looking examples. Now it seems I pass altogether. Heck if I am going to pony up thousands for a single card now this situation has blown up. Just sucks. Sigh.

Exhibitman
12-21-2019, 04:55 PM
Real bummer what has come out. I haven't bought a significant card in quite a while now...gun-shy. Even years ago, when I was in the T206 star card market, many cards just didn't look right sizewise & boarderwise. I often passed on suspect looking cards and waited for appropriate looking examples. Now it seems I pass altogether. Heck if I am going to pony up thousands for a single card now this situation has blown up. Just sucks. Sigh.

Provenance. Knowing who slabbed it will be a good thing in the future. Pedigreed cards (like the Lionel Carter Collection) should sell for a premium. Perhaps they will now that people are aware of the pervasive doctoring.

LincolnVT
12-21-2019, 05:01 PM
Provenance!

RedsFan1941
12-21-2019, 05:30 PM
provenance!

Flintboy
12-21-2019, 08:02 PM
Very interesting reply from Bassik on this.....

bobbyw8469
12-22-2019, 08:07 AM
Provenance. Knowing who slabbed it will be a good thing in the future. Pedigreed cards (like the Lionel Carter Collection) should sell for a premium. Perhaps they will now that people are aware of the pervasive doctoring.

The ironic thing about that statement, is I have seen "Lionel Carter" cards with the "A" grade. I am pretty sure Mr.Carter didn't trim cards.

iowadoc77
12-22-2019, 08:15 AM
Where does this end? Unfortunately it probably doesn’t and here we are. How many more names? How many more scandals?
Shilling
Trimming
Grading
Hate it.

Fuddjcal
12-22-2019, 08:52 AM
Where does this end? Unfortunately it probably doesn’t and here we are. How many more names? How many more scandals?
Shilling
Trimming
Grading
Hate it.

about 75-100 losers to be outed, I'm told in the billion$$ fraud. We are on #4. Another 10K yesterday with this lovely 72 Fisk that was soaked to stretched the card and then trimmed.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpost.php?p=15370691&postcount=491

PSA censoring their discussion board like no one will find out.:D:D This is what makes them guilty as sin. The unwillingness to address the issue at all and you idiots still wanna sub pop review flip and feed this disgusting company and get all giddy over it like a 5 year old on Christmas morning.

ullmandds
12-22-2019, 08:54 AM
The ironic thing about that statement, is I have seen "Lionel Carter" cards with the "A" grade. I am pretty sure Mr.Carter didn't trim cards.

And the ironic thing about your statement is that In the early days of collecting it was common for collectors to cut cards up in order for them to fit in various holders or means if storage...And conversely in an example such as the black swamp find how was it out of the realm of possibility some of these cards were trimmed in transit from the original buyer to the grading companies.

Similarly it would not shock me if Mr. meant trimmed some of his Gentlemens Mickey Mantle‘s that he acquired??

BabyRuth
12-22-2019, 02:52 PM
Hard to believe someone would spend $12K on a Carlton Fisk card just cause some third party grader says its a "10" - Buy the card, not the holder - when will this madness stop?

perezfan
12-22-2019, 07:07 PM
Hard to believe someone would spend $12K on a Carlton Fisk card just cause some third party grader says its a "10" - Buy the card, not the holder - when will this madness stop?

Probably never....

People are apparently just too gullible and dumb. Despite the mountain of evidence right in front of them, they still need an emperor's clothes validation, and are still somehow hypnotized by the slab.

highgradelegends
12-22-2019, 07:19 PM
Any update on this?

Fuddjcal
12-22-2019, 07:26 PM
Any update on this?

yeah, it's a billion dollar fraud

Leon
12-25-2019, 06:23 PM
yeah, it's a billion dollar fraud

lol

Gobucsmagic74
12-25-2019, 06:39 PM
I don't know what to make of all this. I've made a couple deals with Sean and he recently purchased this 1952 Topps Mantle from me. Sincerely hoping it doesn't show up "restored" in a PSA slab anytime soon

iowadoc77
12-25-2019, 08:41 PM
Not saying it will or will not but there are some pretty specific markers in the front of that card. Would be easy to compare.

bobbyw8469
12-26-2019, 06:35 AM
I don't know what to make of all this. I've made a couple deals with Sean and he recently purchased this 1952 Topps Mantle from me. Sincerely hoping it doesn't show up "restored" in a PSA slab anytime soon

You can best believe he didn't buy it to lose money. It's a shame what the hobby has become.

Johnny630
12-26-2019, 07:25 AM
Total Shame. Grading Companies Continue to Take Zero Responsibility........
Vicious Cycle trimm/alter....grade....consign and pump/up vault
Market Manipulation On High End Graded starring end of 2013 all total Fake BS numbers/sales.

Nothing Will Stop It Until Most of The Money is Out

It’s going to Crash then Repeat but next time I think it will never be this high again.

bnorth
12-26-2019, 07:32 AM
You can best believe he didn't buy it to lose money. It's a shame what the hobby has become.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it has been this way for many decades. The only new thing is more people know about it.

samosa4u
12-26-2019, 10:09 AM
I've made a couple deals with Sean and he recently purchased this 1952 Topps Mantle from me. Sincerely hoping it doesn't show up "restored" in a PSA slab anytime soon

It's not a good candidate for restoration. The rounded corners will keep it in the PSA 3 to 4 range. Soaking it, spending hours working on the surfaces, etc. would just be a waste of time.

111gecko
12-26-2019, 10:16 AM

If not wanting to lose money buying cards is the new threshold..pretty sure we are all guilty of something.:)

Fuddjcal
12-26-2019, 10:39 AM

agreed but I didn't buy mine to make or lose money. I just wanted it. What ever happened to collecting?

Fuddjcal
12-26-2019, 10:45 AM
It's not a good candidate for restoration. The rounded corners will keep it in the PSA 3 to 4 range. Soaking it, spending hours working on the surfaces, etc. would just be a waste of time.

I think they could easily soak it, stretch it and color it up a bit, then a nice styling at super cuts. Looks like PSA 5 in the making to me. (great card just the way it is)

"Coming soon" with a sticker a a verbal BJ in the description netting the scam artist 15-20K. Seems about the norm to me.

whitehse
12-26-2019, 10:46 AM
agreed but I didn't buy mine to make or lose money. I just wanted it. What ever happened to collecting?

Or perhaps investing? I don't need to defend Sean here as he can do a great job for himself but the way Mantle's have been increasing, even is this grade it is probably a wise decision to buy and hold at this point.

It is amazing how the pitchforks and torches come out even after someone comes on to explain his position and there are no smoking guns that will implicate Sean beyond a shadow of a doubt. (This comment was not aimed at the poster quoted above in my post just to be clear).

jerrystar
12-26-2019, 11:14 AM
Is there a reason the thread title did not identify the card doctor by name?

Rhotchkiss
12-26-2019, 03:31 PM
Is there a reason the thread title did not identify the card doctor by name?

Yup. I felt a link to the blowout thread was sufficient.