PDA

View Full Version : PSA Registry Changes

kevinlenane
12-19-2019, 08:18 AM
I've noticed some changes to, for example, the Ted Williams master set in that in no longer includes Starcal, Menko TW backs, and some Wheatley's cards. A new Menko was just graded JCM125 w Ted clear as day on the front and during his playing years but it was not added. What is the logic and process behind a master set change? I'm less a enamored w PSA then I was prior to the mess we're in now but it's kind of frustrating to find 6 cards you own booted off the registry. I'm sure generically it's been covered but curious if anyone also knows the specifics around the Ted set...

hcv123
12-19-2019, 11:45 AM
I don't know Ted Williams, but am very familiar with some of how it works from my Clement e registry set.

It is a very arbitrary process. I have "lobbied" to have items added, removed as well as change their relative weight.

I was told by PSA that the weight is supposed to be tied to the value of a particular issue in a PSA 8 grade. Of course the reality is the weighting system is a complete mess and I could highlight many discrepancies with that method.

Ironically it seems they often remove (or more usually make optional) the rarest of issues where there are only a couple of graded copies - I never got a clear explanation of why.

I have found it easiest to add a similar item from a different year - for example when I started they only had I think the 1962, 1965, and 1971 Bazooka boxes - I got the rest added. They have refused to graded and add a 1956 Jay photo I have stating that it is not listed in any major price guide. They grade and include multiple other Jay and team issues that to the best of my knowledge are not in any guide.

My PSA registry set was started because I got bored looking for the handful of items I knew existed and didn't own. I try not to get too caught up in what they do and just collect and enjoy my collection the way I want to.

Leon
12-22-2019, 10:16 AM
I am not so sure a high grade registry set (not the example being talked about) has the same clout and luster it did before the scandal. Many of those sets are tainted with fraudulent cards.

As far as them changing it, it's their playpen so they make the rules. :)

Johnny630
12-22-2019, 11:27 AM
How many known or unknown wrongfully slabbed altered cards reside in Registry Set’s ?

iowadoc77
12-22-2019, 11:31 AM
How many known or unknown wrongfully slabbed altered cards reside in Registry Set’s ?

A number significantly greater than 100

AGuinness
12-22-2019, 12:48 PM

Let's set the over/under on this.. 50 percent maybe?

Republicaninmass
12-22-2019, 12:57 PM
I am not so sure a high grade registry set (not the example being talked about) has the same clout and luster it did before the scandal. Many of those sets are tainted with fraudulent cards.

As far as them changing it, it's their playpen so they make the rules. :)

I really dont think we need another (insert melodramtic N54 poster here) piling onto a PSA registry thread.

Its just rubbing salt in the wounds at this point.

I feel people will be less apt to start threads if this is the way they are met.

But your playpen, you make the rules.

perezfan
12-22-2019, 12:58 PM
Yes... that response in post #5 was missing a couple of zeros. :eek:

Johnny630
12-22-2019, 12:59 PM
Yes... that response in post #5 was missing a couple of zeros. :eek:

+1

Johnny630
12-22-2019, 01:01 PM
Registry is a Powerful Marking tool....that’s all it is. It’s not Gospel, it’s fiction.

iowadoc77
12-22-2019, 01:15 PM
I really dont think we need another (insert melodramtic N54 poster here) piling onto a PSA registry thread.

Its just rubbing salt in the wounds at this point.

I feel people will be less apt to start threads if this is the way they are met.

But your playpen, you make the rules.

Except this is the way almost every thread here ends up