PDA

View Full Version : Keeler E90-1 American Caramel Variant?

Cozumeleno
12-17-2019, 09:41 AM
A while back, a friend sent me some images of E90-1 American Caramel cards. One of them was this Willie Keeler pink background card.

I was writing an article for my site on the various punctuation and abbreviation anomalies with this set. In doing so, I noticed his Keeler card did not have a period after the 'Amer' designation. All other Keelers I have seen have the period. While I know that some of the team/league abbreviations varied from card to card, this is the first instance of a specific card that I've seen that could have different variations -- admittedly, though, I haven't looked too closely.

I asked him if he can recall where he got the image but he could not. I have tried blowing it up, etc., to see if the lack of a period is due to paper loss, fading, or even simply being printed lightly but I do not see anything to indicate that from the picture. If nothing else, it is inconclusive. I have since resorted to looking up scans of this card online but have not seen any other examples of it missing a period, leading me to believe this could be a wild goose chase and that this card could simply have an alteration not shown in the picture.

For those of you with the card, if you would, please check your copies. I am trying to determine if this is an actual variant or if the scan in question may simply show a compromised/altered card.

Thanks -

Aquarian Sports Cards
12-17-2019, 10:40 AM
https://birminghamauctioneersbid.com/images_items/item_2916_1_8251.jpg

brianp-beme
12-17-2019, 10:51 AM
Hi Mr. Anson...my Pink background Keeler has a period after the 'Amer'. Hopefully someone can confirm a missing dot version of this card.

Brian

Cozumeleno
12-17-2019, 10:53 AM
Thanks Brian, much appreciated. I've already heard from someone who has indeed found a few others so it appears to be a legitimate variation, albeit a minor one. I'll be writing a post on my site about it shortly.

Cozumeleno
12-17-2019, 10:53 AM
And thanks, Scott - I was looking for an image of the card without the period after the Amer, though.

Aquarian Sports Cards
12-17-2019, 01:03 PM
I just figured if a bunch of people posted images it might give an idea to distribution. I would also like to point out that mine is the rare "Red Mustache" variation...

G1911
12-17-2019, 01:11 PM
I used to own one of these without the period (red lips instead of red mustache) I traded to someone who recognized the difference a few years back. I'll see if I can find a scan in my records tonight. I believe it is less common than the correct "period" variation, but is available.

Aquarian Sports Cards
12-17-2019, 01:20 PM
I used to own of these without the period (red lips instead of red mustache) I traded to someone who recognized the difference a few years back. I'll see if I can find a scan in my records tonight. I believe it is less common than the correct "period" variation, but is available.

I believe mine is red lips with a registration issue, it just makes me laugh.

G1911
12-17-2019, 01:28 PM
I believe mine is red lips with a registration issue, it just makes me laugh.

Definitely just a registration issue, but I like yours better than a properly printed card lol.

tedzan
12-17-2019, 02:13 PM
There are 9 of these Keeler cards currently listed on Ebay. All 9 cards end in a PERIOD.
And, for whatever it is worth, here is my card, also with a period. Let's see how long it
takes to see another Keeler card without the period ?

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/large/E90KeelerPinkVariation.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237816)

Cozumeleno
12-17-2019, 02:36 PM
Here is a second sent to me by a board member. He also sent a third but that one is a lower-quality image that is difficult to see.

Steve D
12-17-2019, 04:07 PM
I have a Keeler pink background also, and it does not have the period.

Edited:

Well, it turns out that my pink b/g Keeler is the exact card (same SGC serial #) as the one Anson posted just above this.

So, my card is the card pictured by Anson in post #11.

Steve

Cozumeleno
12-17-2019, 05:39 PM
Congrats, Steve - and thanks for confirming one in person!

Leon
12-20-2019, 01:01 PM
I have a Keeler pink background also, and it does not have the period.

Edited:

Well, it turns out that my pink b/g Keeler is the exact card (same SGC serial #) as the one Anson posted just above this.

So, my card is the card pictured by Anson in post #11.

Steve

How many times have we said, hey, I either own or used to own that card.....Happens almost daily for me.
I always, kind of thought the pink was only a faded red on the Keelers in question. And as for the periods, I never got very nuanced with this set...:confused: Of course the Young Boston is one of my top fave cards in the hobby.

Aquarian Sports Cards
12-20-2019, 01:03 PM
How many times have we said, hey, I either own or used to own that card.....Happens almost daily for me.
I always, kind of thought the pink was only a faded red on the Keelers in question. :confused:

I don't know, the lips on my red "mustache" above are definitely a more vibrant red than the background.

Leon
12-20-2019, 01:06 PM
I don't know, the lips on my red "mustache" above are definitely a more vibrant red than the background.

What I should have said is I do think there are pink variations...but that hasn't always been the case. And yes, the red lips are much darker but if they were even darker before, then the background could still theoretically be faded. Not a big deal to me and it's always nice to discuss vintage sets. :)

Aquarian Sports Cards
12-20-2019, 01:21 PM
What I should have said is I do think there are pink variations...but that hasn't always been the case. And yes, the red lips are much darker but if they were even darker before, then the background could still theoretically be faded. Not a big deal to me and it's always nice to discuss vintage sets. :)

True, but I have to take the word of someone who claims they own a blue border T205 with a grain of salt :D

Yoda
12-20-2019, 01:41 PM
I wonder if the other 2 Keelers in the set are with and without the period, respectively after American League? Don't have either copy at the moment to answer my own question. Love the red bkg card.