PDA

View Full Version : Anyone prefer Beckett to PSA?

jakebeckleyoldeagleeye
12-11-2019, 02:09 PM
Anyone prefer Beckett vintage grading to PSA? I like their holders and how card is presented better for some reason.

bnorth
12-11-2019, 02:20 PM
Anyone prefer Beckett vintage grading to PSA? I like their holders and how card is presented better for some reason.

I like the Beckett slab better than the old PSA slabs. The new PSA slabs are nicer now.

jakebeckleyoldeagleeye
12-11-2019, 02:23 PM
Also who grades better. Being a fan of 1963 Post's I have some PSA 's that call a Jello card a Post so these graders at PSA didn't know the difference between the two issues so that has me wondring about their grading.

bnorth
12-11-2019, 02:33 PM
Also who grades better. Being a fan of 1963 Post's I have some PSA 's that call a Jello card a Post so these graders at PSA didn't know the difference between the two issues so that has me wondring about their grading.

I have no opinion on who is a better grader. I have never collected many PSA or Beckett graded cards. I am sure PSA will correct those flip errors for free.

Rhotchkiss
12-11-2019, 03:25 PM
No.

cozmokramer
12-11-2019, 03:43 PM
Beckett is the leader on modern auto stuff.

I surely wouldn’t use them for anything vintage however

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JackW
12-11-2019, 04:10 PM
No.

As usual, Ryan is spot-on.

Leon
12-11-2019, 05:07 PM
Personally I think BVG is the best grader of vintage material. As far as market value for holders, PSA has the best marketing. Just my half cent.

Tyruscobb
12-11-2019, 06:14 PM
BVG's holders are too thick. Plus, the encased penny sleeve takes away from the card's presentation. It is sometimes wrinkly and caused glare.

RedsFan1941
12-11-2019, 06:36 PM
Personally I think BVG is the best grader of vintage material. As far as market value for holders, PSA has the best marketing. Just my half cent.

surprised to see you say that leon. thought you were on record of saying sgc was your choice? did this scandal change your mind or was it something else? or is my memory mistaking?

Leon
12-11-2019, 06:47 PM
surprised to see you say that leon. thought you were on record of saying sgc was your choice? did this scandal change your mind or was it something else? or is my memory mistaking?

I didn't say who was my choice, I said who I thought was the best at grading vintage currently. Andy B has been at BVG a long time and came in 2nd in a grading contest many moons ago. Derek G came in first on that one. Derek has been at Heritage a long time. So technically, if you go by that contest, BVG does have the best grader at a grading company. They just don't have good marketing behind their vintage for whatever reason.

JackW
12-11-2019, 06:57 PM
I didn't say who was my choice, I said who I thought was the best at grading vintage currently. Andy B has been at BVG a long time and came in 2nd in a grading contest many moons ago. Derek G came in first on that one. Derek has been at Heritage a long time. So technically, if you go by that contest, BVG does have the best grader at a grading company. They just don't have good marketing behind their vintage for whatever reason.

Leon, can you shed some light on the grading contest? I've never heard about that.

ahumes13
12-11-2019, 08:57 PM
Leon, can you shed some light on the grading contest? I've never heard about that.

Guessing it’s like a drinking contest, but with more beer...:)

frankbmd
12-11-2019, 09:42 PM
I’m with Leon on this one. My ROI on Vintage about the same regardless of the holder. Buy the card not the holder and don’t overpay. You’ll be fine.

Brian Van Horn
12-11-2019, 09:55 PM
I would say PSA, despite the scandals. As for Beckett, this is my one card graded from them:

perezfan
12-12-2019, 01:36 AM
BVG's holders are too thick. Plus, the encased penny sleeve takes away from the card's presentation. It is sometimes wrinkly and caused glare.

I don't like the penny sleeve either. It's ugly, IMO. PSA uses something similar when they don't have a holder that properly fits the card. So in terms of sheer aesthetics, I like SGC best.

I know some people take issue with the gasket, but I've never had a problem.

Johnny630
12-12-2019, 02:56 AM
I think many pre world war and post war look much better in SGC slabs.
The white borders or colors look great in their black inserts.
58 Toppps
33/34 Goudey
Diamond Stars
48 Leaf
T206’s and especially t205’s look much better in sgc slabs

bbcard1
12-12-2019, 07:16 AM
I prefer PSA because it is much easier to break the cards out of their slabs.

jchcollins
12-12-2019, 07:24 AM
Beckett IMO has the best slab design, but the problem is it’s often poorly implemented. As others have pointed out, the inner sleeves often have issues and are sometimes marked to where it looks like something is on the card when there is not. If they could make the sleeves clearer and prevent junk from getting on them, I’d be more of a fan.

As far as grading, I think that in higher grades, the big 3 are actually pretty consistent. It’s in the mid- and lower grades that they start to differ, and I will say that I think Beckett - while not necessarily wrong, as it’s consistent with how raw cards used to be graded before TPG’s - is somewhat easier on the lower grade cards. I’ve seen BVG 4’s where the card would be lucky to be a PSA 2.5. I’m sure that’s not accurate across the board, but it happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bnorth
12-12-2019, 08:50 AM
Not vintage but here are the 5th and 7th cards Beckett ever graded and two of my favorite PSA graded cards.

This thread needed more pictures.:)

bobbyw8469
12-12-2019, 09:25 AM
I don't like the penny sleeve either. It's ugly, IMO. PSA uses something similar when they don't have a holder that properly fits the card. So in terms of sheer aesthetics, I like SGC best.

I know some people take issue with the gasket, but I've never had a problem.

I like SGC as well....until I had cards slide out of their gaskets.

Rich Klein
12-12-2019, 09:31 AM

PSA occasionally does grading contests at the NSCC. I think it was either 2003 or 2004 when they had the one where Derek won and Andy was second.

Andy, at the time, was working for a second tier grading company. By the time the NSCC was completed, Andy was on his was to Dallas to begin working for Beckett. PSA had another grading contest at the 2019 NSCC BTW. They may have had a few others along the way as well.

Regards
Rich

Vintageclout
12-12-2019, 09:35 AM

Not agreeing or disagreeing with you Leon but you’re forgetting one major aspect here. Beckett deals with a “fraction” of the volume that PSA handles. I can only wonder how their alleged “accurate” head grader would perform if millions of vintage cards were passing his way? Totally different ballgame.

Leon
12-12-2019, 09:36 AM
Actually Joe, I am only talking about knowledge.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with you Leon but you’re forgetting one major aspect here. Beckett deals with a “fraction” of the volume that PSA handles. I can only wonder how their alleged “accurate” head grader would perform if millions of vintage cards were passing his way? Totally different ballgame.

Fuddjcal
12-12-2019, 09:43 AM
I like SGC as well....until I had cards slide out of their gaskets.

And on my SGC 52 mantle with the "new white insert" that shows the grade and details came unglued and droops. Always trying to straighten it out as the card is diamond cut too. :D:D:D:D. and it looks caddywhompus.

They all look good in their own right though. Agree with others here on their assessments for each TPG

AGuinness
12-12-2019, 10:32 AM
From what I've seen in the hobby, I think believe this about SGC/PSA/Beckett:

In general, the actual grading of cards is about the same across these three companies. There are examples of each one of them being overly harsh on a specific card, just as there are examples of each one of them being overly generous, and there are also examples of silly mislabeling and other mistakes in all three companies.
All three companies are unable to catch all alterations that pass through their hands.
It has been strongly suggested that some submitters receive preferential treatment (most notably some of the work that BODA has done).
PSA cards, in general, sell for more than the competitors.

Based on this, there are two things that make the companies different. The first is the slab/gasket/flip, which is an aesthetic thing for collectors. I like SGC's the best.
The second is PSA's registry. And the conclusion I've come to is that I have very little need to pay more for a card in a PSA slab just because of the registry. Considering everything I noted above, the biggest (perhaps only) reason PSA cards sell for more is because of the competition the registry creates. When you bid on a card in a PSA flip, you bid against registry people and the privilege of adding those points to your registry. Any individual card in a PSA slab might be better or worse than another example of the same card in a SGC or Beckett slab at the same grade, but the price will be driven higher due to the registry.
That doesn't make much sense to me, as I have no interest in participating in the registry. If I'm going to buy a slabbed card, I'd rather get an example that appeals to me in an SGC or Beckett slab than pay more for an equivalent in a PSA slab (with noting that if an example in a PSA slab is around the same price point, I would consider it).

MikeGarcia
12-12-2019, 10:50 AM
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/2042957/view/CSASCDSGCJULYPICKUPS_NEW.JPGNot vintage but here are the 5th and 7th cards Beckett ever graded and two of my favorite PSA graded cards.

This thread needed more pictures.:)

..I collect grading companies as much as the odd baseball card now and then..

JackW
12-12-2019, 11:15 AM
PSA occasionally does grading contests at the NSCC. I think it was either 2003 or 2004 when they had the one where Derek won and Andy was second.

Andy, at the time, was working for a second tier grading company. By the time the NSCC was completed, Andy was on his was to Dallas to begin working for Beckett. PSA had another grading contest at the 2019 NSCC BTW. They may have had a few others along the way as well.

Regards
Rich

Thanks, Rich. I didn't realize the grading contest was 15 years ago.