PDA

View Full Version : Do we have too many T206 Ty Cobb back in the market now?

chriskim
12-09-2019, 07:35 AM
Do we have too many T206 Ty Cobb backs in the market now? Last nite's REA T206 Ty Cobb back PSA-1.5 sold for $138,000 which was a nightmare price for the owner since the same card was sold for $192,000 in 2016.

As far as I remember, there were at least 3 other T206 Ty Cobb backs in public auction this yr. They were in various conditions and all sold at flat price if not less. It makes them seem like they are as common as T206 Plank (I obviously understand that's not the case).

Any thought??

calvindog
12-09-2019, 07:45 AM
The one that sold last night was purchased before the Lucky Seven find emerged. I’m not surprised the price was down. More supply, less demand.

rats60
12-09-2019, 08:00 AM
A PSA 1 sold for 148k earlier this year. This was a better card and sold for 10k less.

chriskim
12-09-2019, 08:06 AM
This PSA-1.5 was from the Lucky Seven Find.....

From REA:
This card, along with the other six cards from the find, was offered for sale privately by a representative of the family immediately upon the cards' return from professional grading in early 2016. It appeared for the first time at public auction as Lot #1 in REA's Fall 2016 sale, realizing an auction record price of $192,000, on behalf of a collector who purchased it in the first hours of availability following the find. Now, three years later, we are offering it again on behalf of the winner from the 2016 auction. It is our opinion that this find served to increase the stature and value of the T206 Ty Cobb with "Ty Cobb" back in the years following the find, and will continue to do so into the future, as a result of the increased availability of, and increased attention to, this iconic rarity.

The one that sold last night was purchased before the Lucky Seven find emerged. I’m not surprised the price was down. More supply, less demand.

ullmandds
12-09-2019, 08:19 AM
IMO...now that there are "a lot" of them on the market as compared to 20-30 years ago...this card has become a "flippers" card. No longer is it a card you hold forever because it is so rare.

Similar to BSF E98...there are so many out there they are "flippers" cards.

It's significantly more common now than many T206 red cobb backs.

Frank A
12-09-2019, 09:04 AM
I thought all the T206 cobbs were off. What do you expect with the flood of them in the auction.

bnorth
12-09-2019, 09:12 AM
How many are known to exist?

I have one of the 2016 NSCC Promo versions and it will be the closest I will ever come to owning one.:)

chriskim
12-09-2019, 09:28 AM
How many are known to exist?

I have one of the 2016 NSCC Promo versions and it will be the closest I will ever come to owning one.:)

I think there are less than two dozens known to exist.

uniship
12-09-2019, 09:48 AM
Agreed I think pop is about 2 dozen, which is about a third of honus wagner pop.

I don't own this card, but i believe it's just in a little lull, and it will resume upward trajectory in the years to come. It has all the ingredients - and in my opinion it's a top 4 iconic card and that won't change.

Honus
Ty Cobb Back
'16 Ruth rookie
52 Mantle

Rhotchkiss
12-09-2019, 10:30 AM
I was disappointed with the price last night - yes, there was paper loss on the bottom that removed some of the name, but the front picture is nice and the back clean. I think it is either (i) Too much supply recently for the relative demand (only so many at any given time who can buy that kind of card) -- I think this is most likely; or (ii) Its such a major card that those in the market to buy one are being prudent/picky about which example to buy. We all have spent major money (relatively speaking) on a card and hated looking at it because of a flaw and regretted buying it. It sucks when you regret a large purchase like that and maybe that is happening -- missing name from paper loss, out of focus front, creasing, etc.

chriskim
12-09-2019, 11:35 AM
I was disappointed with the price last night - yes, there was paper loss on the bottom that removed some of the name, but the front picture is nice and the back clean. I think it is either (i) Too much supply recently for the relative demand (only so many at any given time who can buy that kind of card) -- I think this is most likely; or (ii) Its such a major card that those in the market to buy one are being prudent/picky about which example to buy. We all have spent major money (relatively speaking) on a card and hated looking at it because of a flaw and regretted buying it. It sucks when you regret a large purchase like that and maybe that is happening -- missing name from paper loss, out of focus front, creasing, etc.

@Rhotchkiss, that's your card? It is a nice card but comparing that to the rest of the Lucky 7 finds, it doesn't look as attractive anymore.

hcv123
12-09-2019, 12:12 PM
the potential effect of all of the great material in multiple auctions in a very short time span nor the effect of the whole PSA/PWCC debacle that has likely chased a few collectors to the sidelines. NOT the Cobb, but I know I didn't place a bid that I otherwise would have on a bigger ticket card because I had already won so many other cards in the different auctions.

packs
12-09-2019, 12:37 PM
It's hard to see a card that's unattainable for the majority of the collecting community as being too prevalent in the hobby.

Rhotchkiss
12-09-2019, 01:17 PM
@Rhotchkiss, that's your card? It is a nice card but comparing that to the rest of the Lucky 7 finds, it doesn't look as attractive anymore.

Is the one that sold last night my card? No. I dont know whose card it was, nor do i know who won it. I think its a great card though and the buyer did well.

Aquarian Sports Cards
12-09-2019, 01:31 PM
Referring to the question in the OP. No, I do not have too many T206 Ty Cobb back in the market currently. You?

mouschi
12-09-2019, 02:24 PM
I took a look at the auction, and noticed a LOT of greens for sale, but very few bat offs. Is 2020 the year of the bat off? :D :p

LincolnVT
12-09-2019, 06:11 PM
What attracts people to the T206 Cobb with Cobb back? Back rarity? Seems like most if not all are fairly low grade and the red portrait can be found with other backs in much higher grade for less...

insidethewrapper
12-09-2019, 07:28 PM
I'd be afraid to buy any of the Cobb with Cobb Backs at the current price. Who knows when the next lot of 100 comes to the market ( a few at a time) ? The history of this card is strange to say the least. Two people had several copies each found in their house. How did they get these in quantities ?

Bicem
12-10-2019, 02:02 PM
What attracts people to the T206 Cobb with Cobb back? Back rarity? Seems like most if not all are fairly low grade and the red portrait can be found with other backs in much higher grade for less...

The rarity and iconic status of the card. One of the few mainstream cards I'd love to own personally.

Leon
12-11-2019, 09:15 AM
The rarity and iconic status of the card. One of the few mainstream cards I'd love to own personally.

The original rarity has worn off a bit since the introduction of so many more examples. If I had to guess, and it's only a guess, I feel this card could drop a little in the future.
It is still a great card and one I would love to own, but the rarity isn't what it used to be. On a larger scale (price wise) they feel like T207 Red Crosses.......

ullmandds
12-11-2019, 09:31 AM
The original rarity has worn off a bit since the introduction of so many more examples. If I had to guess, and it's only a guess, I feel this card could drop a little in the future.
It is still a great card and one I would love to own, but the rarity isn't what it used to be. On a larger scale (price wise) they feel like T207 Red Crosses.......

No question it IS a desirable card to own...a ty cobb front with a ty cobb back!

What hurts this card is its ambiguity? Is it a T206? NO!!!!! What is it and how was it distributed?

And the recent mini-hoards brought to market haven't helped it either, imo.

Rhotchkiss
12-11-2019, 09:48 AM
Its rarer than Wagner and fronts a player equal-to or better than Wagner in lore and in actuality. To that end, just like the T206 Wagner (and Plank), this card will only go up in value in the long run.

Currently, however, it does seem as though prices have come in recently. I think that is mostly because many have hit the market; it is natural for people to sell cards when they hit a high, thus flooding the market, causing a temporary drop in value. I think this presents a buying opportunity for those so inclined, because this card (like the T206 Wagner) has a very bright future.

MVSNYC
12-11-2019, 09:52 AM
What hurts this card is its ambiguity? Is it a T206? NO!!!!! What is it and how was it distributed?

Sorry, but I disagree.

The mystery that surrounds it's origins, is what has created it's allure.

ullmandds
12-11-2019, 09:55 AM
Sorry, but I disagree.

The mystery that surrounds it's origins, is what has created it's allure.

only the shadow knows!!!!! i'm certainly not wishing ill will on this card...it IS one of the cooler anomalies out there!

additionally I'd take one over a jeter rookie any day of my life!!!!

Goudey77
12-11-2019, 11:53 AM
This card represents the greatest set of all the T206. Argue all you want about which set it belongs to. It still looks like a T206 with an iconic back/front combo. It belongs up there in between a Wagner and Plank. Which I believe most would agree given it's current price point for the grade. I believe it is still undervalued for what it is.

Fuddjcal
12-11-2019, 12:43 PM
This PSA-1.5 was from the Lucky Seven Find.....

From REA:
This card, along with the other six cards from the find, was offered for sale privately by a representative of the family immediately upon the cards' return from professional grading in early 2016. It appeared for the first time at public auction as Lot #1 in REA's Fall 2016 sale, realizing an auction record price of $192,000, on behalf of a collector who purchased it in the first hours of availability following the find. Now, three years later, we are offering it again on behalf of the winner from the 2016 auction. It is our opinion that this find served to increase the stature and value of the T206 Ty Cobb with "Ty Cobb" back in the years following the find, and will continue to do so into the future, as a result of the increased availability of, and increased attention to, this iconic rarity.

Nice fish tale....

LincolnVT
12-11-2019, 02:36 PM
I agree that some cards can be too scarce for their own good. The perfect card to have (in my opinion) is one of Cobb or Ruth that hits the sweet spot on the combined pop charts...somewhere in the 20-30 range...available, but just available enough to be chased by people willing to pay a reasonable amount to have the card. The Cobb / Cobb has this going for it. It's a cool card, but unlike some, I've never really focused on rare backs...

insidethewrapper
12-11-2019, 03:13 PM
Who is the person who has deemed this a real card ? If I would have presented it to a grading company with a glossy front etc., I'm sure it would have been returned to me as a fake ( unable to grade).

That being said , I wish I had the funds to own one, since I think it is a good buy at it's present price ( that is if no more hoards are found ).

Leon
12-16-2019, 09:56 AM
Who is the person who has deemed this a real card ? If I would have presented it to a grading company with a glossy front etc., I'm sure it would have been returned to me as a fake ( unable to grade).

That being said , I wish I had the funds to own one, since I think it is a good buy at it's present price ( that is if no more hoards are found ).

This is always a thought on rare cards. I have firsthand knowledge of it. :(

Sean
12-16-2019, 04:56 PM
a psa 1 sold for 148k earlier this year. This was a better card and sold for 10k less.

This is the card referenced. I believe that five or six have been sold this year, including private sales. That is an amazing number considering that only 23 are known. The price would inevitably decline in the short term because of the large supply. Long term the price should continue to climb, but of course another "find" could greatly affect supply as well.

Vintageclout
12-16-2019, 08:30 PM
Its rarer than Wagner and fronts a player equal-to or better than Wagner in lore and in actuality. To that end, just like the T206 Wagner (and Plank), this card will only go up in value in the long run.

Currently, however, it does seem as though prices have come in recently. I think that is mostly because many have hit the market; it is natural for people to sell cards when they hit a high, thus flooding the market, causing a temporary drop in value. I think this presents a buying opportunity for those so inclined, because this card (like the T206 Wagner) has a very bright future.

Well said Ryan....I totally agree!

Leon
12-19-2019, 01:02 PM
No question it IS a desirable card to own...a ty cobb front with a ty cobb back!

And the recent mini-hoards brought to market haven't helped it either, imo.

Actually, I am probably wrong again. :) Ty with Ty back might zoom up in the future. Since I will probably never own one it is sort of neutral to me. :cool:
I do love the look of red background Cobbs and always have.

I have half of a ty cobb/cobb back

Exhibitman
12-19-2019, 01:09 PM
the potential effect of all of the great material in multiple auctions in a very short time span nor the effect of the whole PSA/PWCC debacle that has likely chased a few collectors to the sidelines. NOT the Cobb, but I know I didn't place a bid that I otherwise would have on a bigger ticket card because I had already won so many other cards in the different auctions.

Boy, is that true. I was basically done chasing items by the close of Lelands.

It's a great card I'd love to own and whoever got it I am sure is thrilled with it.

2dueces
12-21-2019, 06:45 AM
Supply and demand. Lucky seven allowed more purchases but the prices have fallen. The market has set the price for the 7 more available. Unfortunate for those that owned them before but great for collectors as more became available.

ullmandds
12-21-2019, 06:52 AM
Supply and demand. Lucky seven allowed more purchases but the prices have fallen. The market has set the price for the 7 more available. Unfortunate for those that owned them before but great for collectors as more became available.

It's all relative I suppose? When the handful were found and all auctioned at once through REA years ago...one could be had for around 22K...that cards now 6 figures?