PDA

View Full Version : Hola Canadians - Don Cherry firing?

Runscott
11-13-2019, 10:22 AM
What's the deal? I read the WSJ article this morning and don't get why his comments incensed the 'beautiful people'. Is this political correctness carried way too far, or am I just a 'bad person' and didn't realize it?

HRBAKER
11-14-2019, 11:25 AM
The Sport Coat That Roared

pclpads
11-14-2019, 01:29 PM
I don't follow hockey, but this guy is an institution in the NHL. My read is that he didn't call anybody or group out by name, used no obscenities, only referred to immigrants not wearing poppies to remember Canadian war dead. Pretty innocuous remark to me. But then, this is Canada, where everybody is nice-nice. Often wondered if a Canadian farts in a crowded elevator, would he commence an apology tour for the rest of his for all he offended? Yeah, definitely PC to the nth degree. :(

RTK
11-16-2019, 08:01 AM
I always viewed him as the crazy beloved uncle...I'd let it slide. HNiC will not be the same.

chaddurbin
11-16-2019, 12:23 PM
PC gone way too far? sorry to break the news to you guys but cherry has been a racist for decades. his bias against the euro players have been evident ever since i've been a fan in 1990.

RTK
11-16-2019, 12:25 PM
PC gone way too far? sorry to break the news to you guys but cherry has been a racist for decades. his bias against the euro players have been evident ever since i've been a fan in 1990.

I agree, he didn't care much for any player that wasn't Canadian.

samosa4u
11-17-2019, 10:40 AM
He said "you people like our way of life ... you love our milk and honey ... blah, blah, blah." The question is, what did he mean by "you people?" People from Serbia? India? China? Romania? All of them? It just depends on how you want to interpret it.

I do want to say one thing though: he was wrong to single out immigrants. I was at the flea market just before Remembrance Day and just about five percent of Canadian-born individuals were wearing a poppy.

seanofjapan
11-17-2019, 03:35 PM
Former Canadian soldier here. I say good riddance. Its not just the one comment about poppies, bad as it was, racism has always been part of his shtick. The suits are funny, as is the crazy old argumentative uncle personality. But there is an ugliness in there too and it should be kept out of hockey and Remembrance Day.