PDA

View Full Version : Value of Cut 4-in-1 Cards

todeen
11-11-2019, 11:30 AM
I've seen some cut 4-in-1 cards and was wondering how that affects price? Let's look at Hall of Fame players only.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

conor912
11-11-2019, 11:54 AM
I've seen some cut 4-in-1 cards and was wondering how that affects price? Let's look at Hall of Fame players only.

I would think ~5% of book, if you can find a buyer at all. I've never met many guys interested in cards cut into quarters.

bnorth
11-11-2019, 11:58 AM
I would think ~5% of book, if you can find a buyer at all. I've never met many guys interested in cards cut into quarters.

^^this^^ The HOFers have a little value. I have purchased some non HOFer lots over the years really really cheap.

todeen
11-11-2019, 12:13 PM
I would think ~5% of book, if you can find a buyer at all. I've never met many guys interested in cards cut into quarters.I haven't bought a Beckett in ages. Are they covering pre-war pricing now? Or is there another resource to find pre-war pricing.

bnorth
11-11-2019, 12:22 PM
I haven't bought a Beckett in ages. Are they covering pre-war pricing now? Or is there another resource to find pre-war pricing.

I use sold listings on eBay for value.

conor912
11-11-2019, 01:03 PM
I haven't bought a Beckett in ages. Are they covering pre-war pricing now? Or is there another resource to find pre-war pricing.

Sorry...when I say “book” I more mean market value of the intact card. For example if there was a 4in1 with a HOFer on it worth $100, then you cut it into quarters, the HOFer might be about $5 and the other three guys would literally be about a dime a dozen. That is, like I said, if you can find a buyer at all.

todeen
11-11-2019, 05:37 PM
I use sold listings on eBay for value.I used to see sold listings on ebay, but then they went away. I also see some members use something called price sniper. Is there any other way of following ebay sold prices?

todeen
11-11-2019, 05:44 PM
Sorry...when I say “book” I more mean market value of the intact card. For example if there was a 4in1 with a HOFer on it worth $100, then you cut it into quarters, the HOFer might be about $5 and the other three guys would literally be about a dime a dozen. That is, like I said, if you can find a buyer at all.So, right now there are two cut Babe Ruth cards that are cut from a 4-in-1 on ebay. One for $600, one for $150. Are they grotesquely over priced or is the Babe an anomaly?

thatkidfromjerrymaguire
11-11-2019, 05:57 PM
So, right now there are two cut Babe Ruth cards that are cut from a 4-in-1 on ebay. One for $600, one for $150. Are they grotesquely over priced or is the Babe an anomaly?

Those seem a bit high. I thought your question was interesting, so I poked around eBay too.

Looks like a Ruth cut from a 4 in 1 Exhibit sold in August for $69.99. That sounds about right? It all depends on what someone is willing to pay, I guess.

The item I’m talking about was item 312727994026.

conor912
11-11-2019, 06:32 PM
So, right now there are two cut Babe Ruth cards that are cut from a 4-in-1 on ebay. One for $600, one for $150. Are they grotesquely over priced or is the Babe an anomaly?

I can’t tell you what they’re worth to you, only you can do that. I personally wouldn’t pay $1 for either, but that’s me. Some advice I will give here is that if you do buy one, you should assume you will never see that money ever again. You very well might, but you should assume you won’t.

brianp-beme
11-11-2019, 06:34 PM

$600 for the Ruth sounds silly high, while someone who freely and foolishly dispenses their money might go for the one at the $150 level.

darwinbulldog
11-13-2019, 08:12 AM
Could be some upside there.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/boxing-cards/general/1960-hemmets-journal-cassius-clay-muhammad-ali-rookie-23-psa-gem-mint-10-the-finest-example-known-to-the-hobby-/a/50004-50899.s

Chris Counts
11-13-2019, 10:43 AM
I think $100 is fair for Ruth, so I guess that makes me a fool. It looks way better than some of his strip cards that sell for big bucks, all of which, it can be argued, were trimmed by somebody.

"Some advice I will give here is that if you do buy one, you should assume you will never see that money ever again."

My dupes have sold easily for at least what I paid for them, and I've turned down multiple offers for my Hank Greenberg north of $100. The Greenberg, it turns out, is one of the key cards to his type set, and it's particularly tough to find.

I've been in this hobby a long time, and I can't tell you how many cards I've seen that were once considered virtually worthless — like strip cards — that are now sought after.

rhettyeakley
11-13-2019, 10:58 AM
I think $100 is fair for Ruth, so I guess that makes me a fool. It looks way better than some of his strip cards that sell for big bucks, all of which, it can be argued, were trimmed by somebody.

"Some advice I will give here is that if you do buy one, you should assume you will never see that money ever again."

My dupes have sold easily for at least what I paid for them, and I've turned down multiple offers for my Hank Greenberg north of $100. The Greenberg, it turns out, is one of the key cards to his type set, and it's particularly tough to find.

I've been in this hobby a long time, and I can't tell you how many cards I've seen that were once considered virtually worthless — like strip cards — that are now sought after.

Well said and pretty similar experience with this type of thing.

Once cut the item becomes less a true baseball card with a set value but at that point it is a “novelty” and if the right person finds eye appeal in a novelty then there is still value in the item beyond what makes sense from our perspective as baseball card collectors as there may not be another option to obtain that item, especially if the item itself is difficult to rare.

I would also argue that in some ways having single player items like the Gehrig Chris posted above is actually a better looking stand alone item than as part of a 4-on-1 card.

darwinbulldog
11-13-2019, 01:27 PM
I've never tried to price them, but it's strange that a W590 should be worth about the same after it's been cut up as when left intact whereas a W463 is worth a small fraction of its original price after it's been cut into the individual cards. Clearly that is the case, but I don't think it's something that one in the 1930s would have predicted if you'd told him that baseball cards would become very valuable some day.

Exhibitman
11-13-2019, 03:03 PM
There are a few that have some value, mostly to collectors of specific players or rare issues, but nothing like mid-three figures. The 4 on 1 mixed sports issue cuts sell OK when they come up because the actual cards are so HTF anyway. It is kind of like the cut panel on a T202. There's a market but not one that will make you rich.

Leon
11-15-2019, 05:13 PM
I will go with the +/- 5% figure. Now if we could get an R321, Goudey Ruth cut then that might be a bit more. Shown in the other Ruth thread but seems apropos.
http://luckeycards.com/pr321goudeyruth.jpg

Copa7
11-15-2019, 08:46 PM
Sorry...when I say “book” I more mean market value of the intact card. For example if there was a 4in1 with a HOFer on it worth $100, then you cut it into quarters, the HOFer might be about $5 and the other three guys would literally be about a dime a dozen. That is, like I said, if you can find a buyer at all.

I'll take you up in that. If you have any I'll take them all for a 10 cent per dozen. And I'll look at any HOF that you have at $5.

Otherwise you're just blowing smoke.

I've gotten cut t202s and I have some of these 4 in 1 cut up. That's what collectors often did with these cards. Just like cards in bicycle spokes.

Leon
11-18-2019, 03:04 PM
I don't think he is blowing smoke. Most are worth very little but I have seen some of the top names, Cobb, Johnson, and others from T202 get a hundred dollars or so, if I recall correctly. And I would think same with the Exhibit cuts. I think a Ruth 4-1 Exhibit cut might get close to a hundred bucks if it was nice....just my 1/4 cent. :)

I'll take you up in that. If you have any I'll take them all for a 10 cent per dozen. And I'll look at any HOF that you have at $5.

Otherwise you're just blowing smoke.

I've gotten cut t202s and I have some of these 4 in 1 cut up. That's what collectors often did with these cards. Just like cards in bicycle spokes.

conor912
11-18-2019, 03:19 PM
And I'll look at any HOF that you have at $5.

The fact that you’d have to look at them first kind of proves my point.

That said, I’m glad you enjoy them.

SMPEP
11-19-2019, 01:20 PM
Right, wrong or indifferent - I recently picked up a 4 card lot of these trimmed exhibits 4-in-1s with a minor HOFer for $5. I was happy with that and would do it again.

bbcard1
11-19-2019, 01:46 PM
I like them and have picked up a few on the cheap. I completely price them by feel...do I feel it's worth it to add them to my collection. I would think a Ruth or Gehrig at $75-100 would be a great buy.

I actually would like to have a set of Double Plays cut (cheap of course).