PDA

View Full Version : grading question....

forceplay sport
11-08-2019, 02:30 PM
just curious if you send a checklist to be graded and its been marked, do they consider that altered ? or is altered only for trimmed cards ?

Goudey77
11-08-2019, 03:07 PM
For PSA standards any pencil or ink marks will get a qualifier of "MK" or mark. Hell maybe even a shit stain will get an MK these days. I don't even know anymore. :D Altered is such a broad term I can see where someone might get confused on the technicalities.

If you want to get really deep you could say that finger prints is altered stock. If a card has been touched it's no longer good. I know how some card collectors can get really obsessive about this stuff and I won't argue their point. It is what it is.

swarmee
11-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Agreed; those would get the mark qualifier. If someone tried to erase the pencil marks, it should then get the PSA Authentic Altered label.
If it's a ball-point pen and damages the card, the grade will also suffer compared to one with light pencil marks or felt tip markers that do not damage the surface of the card.

hysell
11-08-2019, 09:01 PM
Ok, what about a waxed/ gum card ? What's the grade on them ? I'v all ways put them at ex cond's ?:D

swarmee
11-09-2019, 04:06 AM
PSA has a Stain qualifier, so an otherwise Gem Mint card would get a PSA 9(ST) which would equate to around a PSA 7 price. The eye appeal or the likelihood of a buyer to remove the stains/wax would also affect the sale price.
Listing a raw card as EX is probably a reasonable way to sell most of them.

That's presuming the gum stain does not actually damage the surface of the card (it could have caused bubbling, paper loss, etc).

BigBeerGut
11-10-2019, 02:56 PM
Rarest Qualifier is

OF

MD

forceplay sport
11-11-2019, 05:46 AM
thanks for the help !! much appreciated !!!