PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Cut Cards

ocjack
11-04-2019, 03:58 PM
Can anyone chime in on how each of the TPG's handle diamond-cut cards. How do they (or can they) differentiate a diamond-cut from a trim? I've tried a search of the site, but couldn't find anything applicable.

Any experience and input will be appreciated.

Thanks.

perezfan
11-05-2019, 10:42 AM
The TPGs don’t know any more about diamond cuts or alterations than you do. Just use your eyes, a magnifying glass, a ruler and some common sense. The end result will be the same, without the wasted money and the waiting.

Promethius88
11-05-2019, 04:02 PM
Since I don't trim or alter cards, my question would be...why would someone trim a card into a diamond cut? I would think if you were altering it, you would want to make it look better.

ullmandds
11-05-2019, 04:17 PM
Since I don't trim or alter cards, my question would be...why would someone trim a card into a diamond cut? I would think if you were altering it, you would want to make it look better.

agreed

irishdenny
11-05-2019, 04:18 PM
if this Helps...
Mr. Walsh is Now iN a SGC 40/3 Holder
He Sterted iN a BGS 2.5, then PSA 2, Then SGC 3!
Although Sumone MiGHT Tink He's Trimmed, He's NOT!!!

i've experimented wit a few Cards and sent them to all 3 TPG's

Mr Walsh's E90-1 was one of them!

i will also add that E90-1's
Are a front runner for Diamond Cuts in the PreWar World ~

ocjack
11-05-2019, 05:00 PM

Exactly. So when I send a card that measures perfectly except for the diamond cut, and the TPG returns it as trimmed - are they saying I don't know how to properly trim a card? (being facetious) I would think - by its very nature as a diamond-cut, eliminates its being trimmed.

So, the question - how do TPG's grade diamond-cuts and is there a max grade with qualifier?

Thanks to those that did respond.

perezfan
11-05-2019, 05:43 PM
As per my #2 post in this thread.... they don't know.

I wasn't just lazily taking a jab at them, or glossing over your well thought out question. Seriously, you could probably ask 5 different graders, and get 5 different responses to this. Just look at all the different "professional" opinions on Irish Denny's beautiful E90-1 Walsh Card...

Why is it so important what they think, anyway? They are just self-appointed "experts". If you like the card (and it measures up), I would just enjoy it as raw. Some day in the not so distant future, people will just be laughing at today's slabs, anyway.

cannonballsun
11-05-2019, 07:05 PM
I bought a card many years ago, when grading was just getting started. It was in one of those old telephone auctions. There were no pictures, but the auction company would accurately describe the card, and you would get the card exactly as described.
However, if a card was graded, they'd just give you the grade of the card, and that was it. I bought a 1969 Mickey Mantle White Letter Variation, PSA graded 5 EX. When I received it, I found it had a diamond cut. I was not at all pleased. There is no way in the world I would grade a card like that an EX 5.
That was the start of my not caring for grading companies.

Leon
11-07-2019, 07:25 PM
That is a great, original card.

if this Helps...
Mr. Walsh is Now iN a SGC 40/3 Holder
He Sterted iN a BGS 2.5, then PSA 2, Then SGC 3!
Although Sumone MiGHT Tink He's Trimmed, He's NOT!!!

i've experimented wit a few Cards and sent them to all 3 TPG's

Mr Walsh's E90-1 was one of them!

i will also add that E90-1's
Are a front runner for Diamond Cuts in the PreWar World ~

irishdenny
11-07-2019, 08:37 PM
Dankz Leon! (:

Still working on this Set though...
Net54 Members have been my Supply since i started Collecting this Set 9 years ago,
my history of uPGrading them along the way has been my Slowdown dilemma.

It's been Awesome to have been able to come here and do so!

i Love this place!!! :)

brianp-beme
11-08-2019, 01:35 PM
No ideas on the TPG treatment of these cards. I do know that I prefer my T206 cards to have corners that are not at 90 degree angles, such as this parallelogram Snodgrass.

Brian

Bridwell
11-08-2019, 04:50 PM
PSA seems pretty tough on diamond cuts. I've seen where they mark it down one or two grades. If the picture is effected, it will get the dreaded MC qualifier.

thanksjoe
11-09-2019, 06:34 AM
I have a few diamond cut cards in my e106 set. Grades range from 1.5 to 3 so they are not too hard on grading them but if it is nicer shape, ie 4.5/5+... PSA will hammer those cards hard

Exhibitman
11-09-2019, 10:53 AM
A 'good' one is gonna get an A

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/freaksandgeeks/websize/1969%20Jackson%20miscut.jpg

No point to submitting them at all.