PDA

View Full Version : W501s....not W575-1s

Leon
11-04-2019, 07:38 AM
Is there something that doesn't allow TPG's to do homework? Correct me if I am wrong (been wrong many times) but I don't think either of these are W575s (again, W575s were NEVER hand cut unless trimmed after the fact).

And here are some real ones too....MIstakenly labeled by SGC as hand cut.

rhettyeakley
11-04-2019, 08:15 AM
Leon,

Technically those cards are simply just uncataloged, as they don’t really fit the definition of W575-1. Several years ago when I was working on my “E121 Family” article for Old Cardboard I began to call these cards W501-2 as I feel that is the best description of what the cards are as they are a parallel set of cards to the W501 regular set in terms of checklist, paper stock, image quality, and the hand cut/torn top and bottom borders and were almost certainly produced by the same company as the W501’s BUT they lack the card number and the “G-4-22” at the top.

It seems my W501-2 has pretty much been accepted by the hobby as a correct designation for them at this point but the grading companies really struggle with all of these types of sets.

I think the main problem is the lack of a central independent database that is being updated, especially since the passing of Bob Lemke. I have toyed with the idea of trying to do that myself in some way as I don’t really see anyone else with a good breadth of knowledge of the different eras really stepping forward to do so but am not really sure how to go about doing so. I have thought about either trying to publish something or starting a YouTube channel discussing different sets at length but don’t want to do so and end up with 10 views! ;)

Leon
11-04-2019, 08:40 AM
Hi Rhett
Thanks for chiming in. I was hoping you would. To me, the TPGs labeling these as W575s is just wrong. Compare them to the real ones. That said I guess it is what it is. Many of us are able to do better than TPGs on identification. A new TPG that understands vintage idiosyncrasies would be nice. I am sure that is a pipe dream though. It's too bad as most hobbyists will think they are in fact W575s because a supposed trusted source said it. I agree with the W501-2 designation for W501s without numbering.

Here are 3 more mislabeled as hand cut. I took them out of the pack they came in, literally.

Leon,

Technically those cards are simply just uncataloged, as they don’t really fit the definition of W575-1. Several years ago when I was working on my “E121 Family” article for Old Cardboard I began to call these cards W501-2 as I feel that is the best description of what the cards are as they are a parallel set of cards to the W501 regular set in terms of checklist, paper stock, image quality, and the hand cut/torn top and bottom borders and were almost certainly produced by the same company as the W501’s BUT they lack the card number and the “G-4-22” at the top.

It seems my W501-2 has pretty much been accepted by the hobby as a correct designation for them at this point but the grading companies really struggle with all of these types of sets.

I think the main problem is the lack of a central independent database that is being updated, especially since the passing of Bob Lemke. I have toyed with the idea of trying to do that myself in some way as I don’t really see anyone else with a good breadth of knowledge of the different eras really stepping forward to do so but am not really sure how to go about doing so. I have thought about either trying to publish something or starting a YouTube channel discussing different sets at length but don’t want to do so and end up with 10 views! ;)

tedzan
11-04-2019, 08:42 AM
Hi Leon

My only W575-1 card....and, yes it has a Blank-Back.

Thanks Rhett

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/1921SmokyJoeWood.jpg

TED Z

T206 Reference (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237816)

rhettyeakley
11-04-2019, 09:27 PM
Ted, nice card!

I love the Smokey Joe cards after making the transition from pitcher to position player, not many players have been able to do that!

ValKehl
11-04-2019, 10:11 PM
Here are the W501-1 and W501-2 cards of both WaJo and Sam Rice. A prior owner of the W501-2s made it easy for me notice them by adding the W501-1 card number in pencil.

Leon
11-07-2019, 08:21 AM
Thanks for showing those, Val. Great cards too! I wish TPGs had the knowledge to grade these, and other rare cards, correctly. They apparently stick to their mistakes, and keep them rolling, fairly well.

Here are the W501-1 and W501-2 cards of both WaJo and Sam Rice. A prior owner of the W501-2s made it easy for me notice them by adding the W501-1 card number in pencil.

http://luckeycards.com/pe122hooper.jpg

ValKehl
11-07-2019, 11:33 AM
[QUOTE=Leon;1929107]Thanks for showing those, Val. Great cards too! I wish TPGs had the knowledge to grade these, and other rare cards, correctly. They apparently stick to their mistakes, and keep them rolling, fairly well./QUOTE]

Leon, nice E122 of Hooper. I, too, have noticed over the years that the TPGs, PSA in particular, don't do a great job of correctly identifying non-mainstream cards on their flips. Sad!

Aquarian Sports Cards
11-07-2019, 05:22 PM
how do you screw up E121 and E122 though? The grey box with the name is about as simple an identifying characteristic as you can get.