PDA

View Full Version : A question for those considering leaving the hobby.

bobbyw8469
10-31-2019, 07:36 AM
I wanted to post a question and get some ideas. Hypothetically speaking, if I woke up and said "I am done with this! I want to leave the hobby!", how would you dispose of your items? Selling them yourself on Ebay is NOT an option. Would you use PWCC after all the turmoil? Probstein? Would there be any interest from someone wanting EVERYTHING? The good and the bad? The big and the small? Just curious as to what people would do if/when they decide to "call it a day"??

ullmandds
10-31-2019, 07:51 AM
personally...I'd go with a multifaceted approach. I'd sell some through select AH's...some on here on the BST.

I would not under any circumstances use any outlets that are part of the reason for me leaving the hobby...but that's just me.

Peter_Spaeth
10-31-2019, 07:57 AM
I would need to know what (hypothetically) you had.

x2drich2000
10-31-2019, 08:23 AM
Ditto both Pete and Peter. Different items require different selling methods. There is a big different between a $3k card and groups of mid-grade 60's topps.
I would also if possible just sit out for a while. It seems like everytime I make a rushed decision I end up regretting later.

1952boyntoncollector
10-31-2019, 08:29 AM
You have been talking about leaving the hobby since i can remember. You also sell your own cards and are knowledgeable about all the auction methods and how to sell cards. I think you are the one that could offer the answer to this more than anyone here so not sure why you asking.

Rhotchkiss
10-31-2019, 08:29 AM
Presumably you are considering leaving the hobby, in part due to things that PWCC has been accused of. If this is the case (and it is a clear assumption), then I think it would be disingenuous (to say the least) to use PWCC to sell your stuff.

bnorth
10-31-2019, 08:39 AM
You have been talking about leaving the hobby since i can remember. You also sell your own cards and are knowledgeable about all the auction methods and how to sell cards. I think you are the one that could offer the answer to this more than anyone here so not sure why you asking.

+1

bobbyw8469
10-31-2019, 08:40 AM

Don't be a ****. Times have changed a lot in the last year or so. Hopefully, even you can attest to that.

Case12
10-31-2019, 08:51 AM
If your goal is not top dollar, there are members on this forum that buy full collections. Make a list and they make an offer. You like the offer. Negotiate. Then box it all up and send to them. I did this with my entire military and astronaut collection. Great transaction with buyer. Made a new friend and made some other transactions later.

buymycards
10-31-2019, 09:16 AM
I don't plan on leaving the hobby, but I was giving this very question some serious thought a few nights ago. What if I have cancer and the doctor gives me 6 months to live?

What would I do with my:

Card show inventory? Take it to a show and try to blow out the entire inventory to another dealer at a greatly discounted price?

eBay inventory? I don't know. Maybe do the same thing? I could discount it very heavily on eBay and sell what I can before I blow out the remainder.

My personal collection? I would probably start by reaching out to board members in the BST and try to sell the whole works. Take what money I can get and move on. Possibly an auction house, although I may not be alive to see the results.

Hopefully, that scenario won't occur and I can keep buying stupid amounts of cards and memorabilia. :) Also, when I am buying a collection, my favorite part is when I am going through all of the boxes and tubs of junk.

bobbyw8469
10-31-2019, 09:30 AM
I don't plan on leaving the hobby, but I was giving this very question some serious thought a few nights ago. What if I have cancer and the doctor gives me 6 months to live?

It is defintely somethign EVERY collector should consider. I may consider Lee Behrens and someone else said Steve Novella. Honesty is the most important aspect for me (along with quick pay). I'll probably do a hybird. Use someone for the pricier stuff (over $50) and maybe right here on the BST boards for the stuff over $50. The auction side here doesn't appear to get much activity, but there are a few sellers selling religiously there, and if I were to firesale stuff there, that might promote interest even more.

Leon
10-31-2019, 09:38 AM
You can make your own rules on the BST auction section. So if you want to try to move an expensive card just start out at a fair minimum. IF it doesn't sell you have wasted 5-10 minutes but it is free to try. No risk. No taxes either. :cool:
I can't buy almost anything online anymore without being taxed. I don't mind taxes but would prefer not to have to pay them.
Personally, I think our whole tax system sucks. On some items the repeated sales tax can equal more than the item is even worth.

I would look at a hybrid sale if I sell again. The first time was orchestrated and I got a nice auction catalog of all of my stuff for future reference.

It is defintely somethign EVERY collector should consider. I may consider Lee Behrens and someone else said Steve Novella. Honesty is the most important aspect for me (along with quick pay). I'll probably do a hybird. Use someone for the pricier stuff (over $50) and maybe right here on the BST boards for the stuff over $50. The auction side here doesn't appear to get much activity, but there are a few sellers selling religiously there, and if I were to firesale stuff there, that might promote interest even more.

glchen
10-31-2019, 10:07 AM
I'll give a few different answers here...

Scenario 1: I'm tired/not interested in the hobby anymore, and want to sell.

Don't sell. Put your collection in a closet, and wait a year or so, and see if this passes. Sometimes folks just need a break from the hobby for various reasons, and come back more energized afterwards. Those cards that you sell might be awfully hard to get back if you become interested in the hobby again.

Scenario 2:
A year has passed, and I really do want to sell and/or I need the money to spend on more "worthwhile" things for my family/me.

Still, try to keep your very favorite cards (if you have any), but then plan on selling the rest. Try to categorize your collection into "big ticket" items that would sell for more than $500 per card, and then smaller items that may need to be sold as part of a lot. Send emails to the various auction houses with the listing of what you have, whether they would be willing to sell it for you, and what seller's commission they will charge. Go with the auction house that gives you the lowest seller's commission (+ buyer's premium), has the best responses to you, and is willing to work with you to maximize the value of what you want to sell. For example, if you are a player collector, you may not want to dump all of your collection in one massive auction as it may flood the market. You may want to have the auction house sell your collection slowly over a few auctions. Also, if you need the money quickly, check into how quickly you will be paid after the auction completes. Finally, don't be afraid to split your collection over multiple auction houses/vendors.

Scenario 3: Estate planning for your family.

Preparing for the scenario where you get hit by a bus tomorrow, and your family has no idea the value of your collection, which auction houses are good/honest, etc. I would have 1-2 auction houses prepared beforehand in case a scenario like this happens, so that you can tell your family who to go to in this situation. For example, I like Heritage because it's a big auction house, and I've been grandfathered into 0% sellers commission. I've always gotten very good service from them, and they run many auctions per year, so there's flexibility. I think REA would also be good because of the peerless service that Brian Dwyer has always provided. You just don't want someone scamming your family saying that they'll buy your collection for $X dollars, and they are really doing a favor for your family by taking all this junk away.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

perezfan
10-31-2019, 10:09 AM
Cards:
Most of my cards are desirable yet not graded. Mostly HOFers, and almost nothing that grades below "EX". But I'm not throwing one penny towards the corrupt TPGs. So I would use Greg Morris for most of the Cards.

Memorabilia:
I would consign my highest-end cards and memorabilia to both REA and LOTG. Maybe Lelands for a few select items, if they would loosen up their commission rate. Have had great results with all three, and REA/LOTG's Sellers' Commissions are more than reasonable. Plus, they are both a pleasure to work with.

Johnny630
10-31-2019, 10:53 AM
If you need the most out of your collection and can't wait over 20 years for it to come back I'd sell it all now or within the next 12-16 months. If you don't but want some gains sell some and keep some. If you have time you might wanna ride it out. IDK so many theories.

bobbyw8469
10-31-2019, 10:56 AM
Great advice everyone. Mortality is something we should ALL deal with, even as morbid as it is.

Goudey77
10-31-2019, 11:03 AM
I hope all is well Robert. Enjoyed taking part in your group submission efforts. You are a valuable member of this Net54 community. Sell or not hope you stick around for the camaraderie here.

Snapolit1
10-31-2019, 11:09 AM
Some of you guys have been talking about leaving the hobby longer than I've been in the hobby.

bobbyw8469
10-31-2019, 11:16 AM
Some of you guys have been talking about leaving the hobby longer than I've been in the hobby.

Good morning sunshine. Glad to see you made it.

ALBB
10-31-2019, 11:37 AM
Most guys would love a scenario where a dealer comes in..pays you fairly for ALL..not just some of your stuff ..and you walk away fairly happy..knowing you could have gotten a bit more doing it the long/hard way..but you got it done quickly and was paid decently

In truth..most of the time its the old " cherry picking", low balling, painful process...and in the end you feel you could have done way better

swarmee
10-31-2019, 11:50 AM
I had already mailed most of my PSA graded cards to COMC to sell myself on their site. Mailed three sets/lots to an auctionhouse where they didn't get the bids I was hoping for.
Will be selling the rest through COMC or the local antique mall I have a booth at. Probably will stay in the hobby, but not collect the same way.

bobbyw8469
10-31-2019, 11:52 AM
I had already mailed most of my PSA graded cards to COMC to sell myself on their site. Mailed three sets/lots to an auctionhouse where they didn't get the bids I was hoping for.
Will be selling the rest through COMC or the local antique mall I have a booth at. Probably will stay in the hobby, but not collect the same way.

John....if you don't mind me asking, what were the auction houses that you used that you weren't pleased with the prices on?

swarmee
10-31-2019, 12:17 PM
John....if you don't mind me asking, what were the auction houses that you used that you weren't pleased with the prices on?
The new Vintage Nonsports Auctions from our sister Net54 Nonsports board. Cards were listed very fast with a good description, and the service was excellent. Just got lower bids than I expected. Was kind of hoping after a few days of no bids that they would not have gotten any bids at all... and then I could send them to COMC. I'm sure some sellers were very happy with the bids.

Have one more big complete set that would probably do better as a set break through Greg Morris (#1 PSA T51 Murad Colleges Master Set).

BigBeerGut
10-31-2019, 01:29 PM
I wanted to post a question and get some ideas. Hypothetically speaking, if I woke up and said "I am done with this! I want to leave the hobby!", how would you dispose of your items? Selling them yourself on Ebay is NOT an option. Would you use PWCC after all the turmoil? Probstein? Would there be any interest from someone wanting EVERYTHING? The good and the bad? The big and the small? Just curious as to what people would do if/when they decide to "call it a day"??

Accept you can not leave

Johnny630
10-31-2019, 01:51 PM
The new Vintage Nonsports Auctions from our sister Net54 Nonsports board. Cards were listed very fast with a good description, and the service was excellent. Just got lower bids than I expected. Was kind of hoping after a few days of no bids that they would not have gotten any bids at all... and then I could send them to COMC. I'm sure some sellers were very happy with the bids.

Have one more big complete set that would probably do better as a set break through Greg Morris (#1 PSA T51 Murad Colleges Master Set).

From my experience non sport buyers are extremely cheap. They take the top on cheapness on card collector......and non sport unfortunately is deader then a door nail.

iwantitiwinit
10-31-2019, 02:11 PM
personally...I'd go with a multifaceted approach. I'd sell some through select AH's...some on here on the BST.

I would not under any circumstances use any outlets that are part of the reason for me leaving the hobby...but that's just me.

Same here.

swarmee
10-31-2019, 02:26 PM
From my experience non sport buyers are extremely cheap. They take the top on cheapness on card collector......and non sport unfortunately is deader then a door nail.
Depends what you have. Vintage Breaks has brought a lot of people into collecting sets from the 60s again that they have stock in. But yes, it's a graying market where there are more sellers than buyers.
Mainly the super rare or super high quality is doing well in Nonsports.

And while some of my items were rare, they weren't in the best of the condition and found limited interest. Whoever bought them will have nice break-up value, though.

cardsnstuff
10-31-2019, 04:07 PM
interesting topic; personally, I have been slowly going through my accumulations, {much to big to call it a collection after 20+ years of mostly buying & some selling} but I was thinking the same thing. There has got to be a better way to expedite this process. I mean selling 500-1000 cards/year on ebay, is not earth shattering.

bmattioli
10-31-2019, 05:31 PM
I am a lifelong collector/hoarder.. and I do not sell..

Exhibitman
10-31-2019, 06:03 PM
If I really wanted out I'd probably go to a good dealer first and see if I could cut a deal for everything. No muss, no fuss, just come to my office and make a deal. if that didn't work out, the primo items go to a big AH, the lesser items go to a lesser AH. Maybe I retail a select few items.

tschock
10-31-2019, 06:14 PM
From my experience non sport buyers are extremely cheap......and non sport unfortunately is deader then a door nail.

Hmmm... You think there might be some correlation between these 2 statements? :D

tsalem
10-31-2019, 06:22 PM
Contact me with details on the collection and let’s discuss

doug.goodman
10-31-2019, 06:56 PM
If I really wanted out I'd probably go to a good dealer first and see if I could cut a deal for everything. No muss, no fuss, just come to my office and make a deal. if that didn't work out, the primo items go to a big AH, the lesser items go to a lesser AH. Maybe I retail a select few items.

When I got out of collecting Topps baseball cards, that's what I did. Spoke to a few dealers, met with one, agreed on a fair price, I was happy, he made some money, and I cleared up some space.

Similar with my Sporting Life collections, although I sold it to another collector.

Now I need to do something with my Sporting News, Sports Illustrated and Baseball Weekly collections.

Doug

topcat61
11-01-2019, 09:55 AM
It's not the cards, it's the collectors, dealers and auction houses that are the problem. This a great Hobby, but we've gotten away from what it was intended to be. Our Hobby ffounders like Burdick, Carter, Bray, Wagner and Nagy must be rolling over in the graves to see what its become.

I plan to keep my collection intact until my passing -hopefully, a long time from now, but in the mean time I'll set something up in writing so my future bride and family wont be burdened by trying to unload something they either might not want or no nothing about. I'd probably be better off using an auction house because I cant see dealers handling it and intentionally trying to rip off the future bride or family.

I would also say make your intentions crystal clear in writing and in a Will - as to what you want to do with your collection when or if you pass on. A lot of time family members have no clue to A) what the collector has, B) what was paid out for it and C) What the realistic return on a potential investment should look like.

Many times a widow or family member inherits a collection and thinks they're sitting on a fortune only to find out it isn't worth nearly what they think it is. That's why you should go to an appraiser and if necessary, get it insured afterwards.

bobbyw8469
11-01-2019, 10:42 AM
as to what you want to do with your collection when or if you pass on.

Great advice Ryan......"if" I pass on?? Do you know something I don't know? Just ribbing you Ryan.

1952boyntoncollector
11-01-2019, 12:35 PM
Don't be a ****. Times have changed a lot in the last year or so. Hopefully, even you can attest to that.

You have told me many times you are about to leave the hobby and I just said you know more than most people about card values and how to sell them so I was not trying to troll etc.

If its a mortality issue, you are really asking about time. The more time you have to sell , the more you can get top dollar. If have to sell in a few months, you likely wont get top dollar.

pokerplyr80
11-02-2019, 10:50 AM

Agreed

bcbgcbrcb
11-02-2019, 06:30 PM
This situation already took place for me in real life, I ended up doing pretty much what the consensus said. The high dollar items went to select auction houses after careful research to determine who would maximize my return for a particular card. Some of the mid-range items I sold privately to Net 54 members whom I knew would want them. Some of the moderately valued items I listed for sale on Net 54 BST. Finally, the low dollar cards I sold on eBay.

My decision to sell off everything was two-fold. I had a major health, life changing event which essentially ended my working career at 45 years old. With no income coming in anymore, it would not be possible to further my collection anymore. In addition, I now need that money to live on so that basically was the end of my collecting.

MULLINS5
11-02-2019, 06:33 PM
Bobby - I'm getting out. Just started listing cards 0.99/no reserve/7 day auctions. Whatever it goes for, it goes for. Time with my family and space are more important to me now more than ever. Whatever is left I'll toss in the trash. Best of luck man.

bnorth
11-02-2019, 06:40 PM
Bobby - I'm getting out. Just started listing cards 0.99/no reserve/7 day auctions. Whatever it goes for, it goes for. Time with my family and space are more important to me now more than ever. Whatever is left I'll toss in the trash. Best of luck man.

What is your ebay ID?

iowadoc77
11-03-2019, 05:21 AM

Great perspective on time on time with family. Much more valuable than any collection!

1952boyntoncollector
11-03-2019, 07:43 AM
Great perspective on time on time with family. Much more valuable than any collection!

agreed... who cares about getting that extra 5% or whatever that takes even more time to research and ask about if you have limited time. Most people that have been active for 20 years buying and selling know what they are doing to get most of the money in a short time even if 'losing out' on a few dollars..time is money..

Leon
11-05-2019, 05:40 PM
Can't argue with spending more time with loved ones. Too bad you couldn't do both (stay and have more time with family) ....Good luck with the sales.

bobbyw8469
11-06-2019, 05:03 AM
Can't argue with spending more time with loved ones. Too bad you couldn't do both (stay and have more time with family) ....Good luck with the sales.

Leon....didn't you recently go through this? I thought you sold a big collection thru Heritage? Or were you just pruning?

ALBB
11-06-2019, 06:14 AM
Interesting comment about - getting out and spending more time with family...I never consider sports card collecting as something that would take that much time away from family ?....but I guess a really passionate collector could get so wrapped up in it..maybe on the computer 8 hrs a day..running to every card show within 4 hrs...constantly involved in auctions,...and don't forget being on Net54 site..7 times a day LOL

bobbyw8469
11-06-2019, 06:38 AM
Interesting comment about - getting out and spending more time with family...I never consider sports card collecting as something that would take that much time away from family ?....but I guess a really passionate collector could get so wrapped up in it..maybe on the computer 8 hrs a day..running to every card show within 4 hrs...constantly involved in auctions,...and don't forget being on Net54 site..7 times a day LOL

Guilty....guilty...and guilty....lol

Leon
11-06-2019, 06:49 AM
Yes, I sold my whole card collection in 2015. The impetus was my daughters college tuition. I figured after I sold a few hundred k to pay for it (it will be a bit more with her Masters) then I might as well sell everything and start over. And I always said I was way too heavy in cards, financially, relative to the few pennies of cash in my piggy bank. But I never intended to get out, just downsize and start over. It took away some financial stress doing it so that was good. I think it was also good for the forum (I am sure some disagree) as I was able to get rid of a few pain-in-my-rear members and not care about the consequences.

Leon....didn't you recently go through this? I thought you sold a big collection thru Heritage? Or were you just pruning?

KCRfan1
11-06-2019, 08:25 AM
Great advice everyone. Mortality is something we should ALL deal with, even as morbid as it is.

For me, the more important issue is to catalog what I have with a reasonable value of each item. This will let my wife know an approximate value of what the collection has.

Four years ago I dealt with stage 4 cancer. The night I went to the ER I was dying. My point is this: Anything can happen to us at any time. My health issue was not " discovered " in advance. There literally may not be time to plan to liquidate a collection. Be it health, car accident, etc, things happen.

If financial constraints required me to liquidate, I would keep a card or two just to have, thus never " leaving " the hobby.

But I would never leave over dishonesty in the industry. Nobody or nothing will rob me of this joy.