PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell what card is on the back of a sealed wax pack??

bobbyw8469
10-24-2019, 02:56 PM
I have some unopened 1988 Fleer Basketball wax packs. I see on Ebay where people are selling them and announcing what sticker is on the back of the pack. I have looked at the back of my packs. I can't see thru it. I don't know how these people are able to tell what card in showing thru the back of the pack, but unless you have X-ray eyes, I don't see it. I was hoping to get some help on how to tell what the card showing thru the back of wax packs were?

Griffins
10-24-2019, 03:43 PM
some packs are just easier to see thru the back than others. Once you get a hint of a player- arm position, cropping, etc it's a matter of going thru the set for matches. I'm guessing I can tell who is there on about 10% of my packs, the rest are too tough to see.

packs
10-25-2019, 07:25 AM
Hold it up to a bright light and press the back of the pack as hard as you can against the card. You can do the same thing for the first card on top.

bobbyw8469
10-25-2019, 08:14 AM
Hold it up to a bright light and press the back of the pack as hard as you can against the card. You can do the same thing for the first card on top.

Thank you both to you and Anthony. I was able to read the text and compare it to cards already PSA graded. I got 2 Alex English's, 1 Magic Johnson, 1 Patrick Ewing, and 1 Mark McGuire.

CTDean
10-25-2019, 08:26 AM
I don't know about fleer basketball, but having broken down many, many cases of Topps vending, rack, wax pack and cello's in the 1980's you quickly learn the card sequence in the packs. Most of the time the sequence will hold true from the top pack to the bottom pack in the stack. If you opened the top pack in all four stacks in a wax box you most likely would know what was in each pack in all stacks from top to bottom. I remember classified ads in the 1980's SCD magazines where people would sell the sequence list for different products and different years.

Peter_Spaeth
10-25-2019, 08:58 AM
Fleer BKB is in alphabetical order within packs I believe.

rats60
10-25-2019, 10:58 AM
Fleer BKB is in alphabetical order within packs I believe.

1986 Fleer was alphabetical set order, but the packs would be in two runs such as 1, 67, 2, 68, etc.

Leon
10-29-2019, 06:48 AM
Just open it. :)

I have some unopened 1988 Fleer Basketball wax packs. I see on Ebay where people are selling them and announcing what sticker is on the back of the pack. I have looked at the back of my packs. I can't see thru it. I don't know how these people are able to tell what card in showing thru the back of the pack, but unless you have X-ray eyes, I don't see it. I was hoping to get some help on how to tell what the card showing thru the back of wax packs were?