PDA

View Full Version : PSA SCG & BVG Graded Cards

evangeleblanc
10-23-2019, 09:54 PM
As a part of my job, I inspect cards for authenticity. Obviously, all raw cards are looked over to a degree (naked eye, loupe, halogen light, etc), but I have seen examples of cards that have been altered recently in a way that is obvious to the naked eye, yet they still reside in a holder from one of the "Big 3".

My question is two-fold:
1. Which of the grading companies (if any) can I trust to spot an altered card?
2. Is there any trust given recent events or in general, or should I simply inspect all graded cards the same way I would raw cards?

Thanks in advance

GasHouseGang
10-23-2019, 10:53 PM
If it was my "job", I would inspect every card for alterations no matter what holder the card might be in. The same as if I was buying it for my own collection.

Leon
10-24-2019, 07:22 AM
1. Not sure at this point but at least at BVG you can talk to a grader.
2. All cards are suspect to me, even in holders. Or I could just turn a blind eye to the blatant fraud the TPGs aren't catching.

As a part of my job, I inspect cards for authenticity. Obviously, all raw cards are looked over to a degree (naked eye, loupe, halogen light, etc), but I have seen examples of cards that have been altered recently in a way that is obvious to the naked eye, yet they still reside in a holder from one of the "Big 3".

My question is two-fold:
1. Which of the grading companies (if any) can I trust to spot an altered card?
2. Is there any trust given recent events or in general, or should I simply inspect all graded cards the same way I would raw cards?

Thanks in advance

buymycards
10-24-2019, 01:19 PM
What type of job do you have that requires you to inspect cards?

Go to the Blowout forums and research the many threads on card trimming. My rough estimate is that of the cards that have been outed, PSA has 70%, Beckett 20%, and SCG 10%. Of course that probably also roughly reflects the market share of each company.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1290614

This thread and many others.

evangeleblanc
10-24-2019, 09:29 PM
Thanks all for the feedback everyone! If I understand correctly, I guess the consensus is that I should just inspect the cards regardless of their encapsulation, since grading companies miss things all the time.

I work for an auction house that sells sports cards, so one of my responsibilities is to identify fake and/or altered cards if that is sufficient explanation for why I am asking.

Paul S
10-24-2019, 09:35 PM
Uh, could you establish your credentials?

perezfan
10-25-2019, 12:18 AM
If he has integrity, a reference book, decent vision, a ruler, a blacklight and a microscope, then he's far ahead of the game. Much better credentials than what we have currently.

Best of luck!

BigBeerGut
10-25-2019, 06:34 AM
Uh, could you establish your credentials?

Why does this person need credentials ?

Who are you Paul?

MD

perezfan
10-25-2019, 12:21 PM
I'd really like to know the "credentials" of the self-appointed experts at PSA.

Whatever those credentials are, it's not helping the hobby. Their biggest credential seems to be the ability to climb in bed with "preferred" submitters.

Johnny630
10-25-2019, 12:38 PM
It's really sad.... my belief is the grading companies, especially the big one on the west coast continues to thrive and blow out their numbers because most people will not pay a fair value for a vintage card unless it's slabbed. I hear so many guys say I hate to but I have to grade said card with PSA they don't sell for S in other holders or raw. Right Wrong or Indifferent that's the real, for the most part. It's not a hobby to many, it's a business or flip. Grading was supposed to the authority in determining whether a card was altered or not. Trust your eye over theirs..never trust or buy a slab buy the card.

Stampsfan
10-25-2019, 12:47 PM
I keep coming back to if my doctor, accountant, lawyer, or mechanic were off as much as PSA, I would find a new one; I wouldn't keep going back to them for advice.

Only a weatherman can be wrong as often as these companies, and still keep their job.

perezfan
10-25-2019, 12:53 PM
I keep coming back to if my doctor, accountant, lawyer, or mechanic were off as much as PSA, I would find a new one; I wouldn't keep going back to them for advice.

Only a weatherman can be wrong as often as these companies, and still keep their job.

Kinda reminds me of this commercial, haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YT3erQZoq4

I guess that in our messed up world, some people are exempt from being terrible at what they do.

GeoPoto
10-25-2019, 01:52 PM
Grading was supposed to the authority in determining whether a card was altered or not. Trust your eye over theirs..never trust or buy a slab buy the card.

PSA is guilty of not identifying all of the altered cards submitted for grading, as examples pile up. Still, nobody is saying that PSA fails to identify some of the altered cards submitted for grading. Also, nobody is saying that PSA is grading counterfeit cards. And, the grades assigned are reasonably consistent regarding the presentation (appearance) of the cards being graded. These services would seem to offer some attraction to buyers, particularly ones that are new or part-time in the hobby.

While PSA has been less than diligent about policing the alteration and re-submission of previously graded cards, it uses disclosed, repeatable processes to evaluate the cards submitted for grading. It is now clear that those processes do not catch all altered cards. How realistic it is to expect those processes to be perfect and whether those processes can be perfected at a workable cost, remains to be seen.

PSA is routinely accused (universally without evidence) on this forum of corrupt practices that amount to agreeing to inflate the grade given to cards submitted by favored customers. This kind of corruption is very hard to sustain and conceal, particularly in a public corporation. Should it turn out to be true, PSA will, and should, pay a large price.

I hope that PSA (and SGC/BVG) accepts the role currently filled by Blowout of policing the acquisition, alteration, and re-submission of previously-graded cards. It would seem to be vital to the success of their business model going forward. It would also provide further incentive to get cards graded before they can be altered and ensure that once graded, a card cannot be un-slabbed, altered, and awarded a higher grade.