PDA

View Full Version : History of auction cyberattacks?

swarmee
10-21-2019, 08:49 AM
Might be interesting to catalog the cyberattacks and or outages that have happened recently and the way each company responded to them. Are Goldin and Heritage still in limbo or have they reopened and closed already?
Are they being targeted for a reason?

perezfan
10-21-2019, 10:07 AM
As of now...

* Goldin is open
* Heritage is STILL down!

This impacted Heritage's Friday Night Sports Auction (part 2) as well as their Sunday Night Sports Auction. Still no email communication from them. All you see is the vague message posted on their site. No anticipated date that their site will be up and running, and no make-up dates for the missed auctions.

Must've been a really severe cyber attack!

D. Bergin
10-21-2019, 12:04 PM
Does this also have something to do with Gavelsnipe not being accessible to me. Noticed last night I couldn't get past the sign-in page.

ullmandds
10-21-2019, 12:16 PM
karma police...perhaps?

wolf441
10-21-2019, 12:40 PM
Does this also have something to do with Gavelsnipe not being accessible to me. Noticed last night I couldn't get past the sign-in page.

I've had the same issue. You plug in your ID and password, don't get an error when you hit sign in, the fields just clear out.

D. Bergin
10-21-2019, 12:44 PM
I've had the same issue. You plug in your ID and password, don't get an error when you hit sign in, the fields just clear out.

Yup. Actually tried with a faulty password and got an error message. Correct password just doesn't let you go any further.

wolf441
10-21-2019, 12:51 PM
Yup. Actually tried with a faulty password and got an error message. Correct password just doesn't let you go any further.

Same here. I also tried resetting my password, but still get the same "non error". Are you signed up for both ebay and Heritage through Gavelsnipe? I recently linked my Gavelsnipe account to Heritage, so I'm thinking that they are the source of the problem. Or some combination of Heritage and Gavelsnipe.

D. Bergin
10-21-2019, 12:54 PM
Same here. I also tried resetting my password, but still get the same "non error". Are you signed up for both ebay and Heritage through Gavelsnipe? I recently linked my Gavelsnipe account to Heritage, so I'm thinking that they are the source of the problem. Or some combination of Heritage and Gavelsnipe.

I think I'm just linked up through Ebay. Have a Heritage account, but don't think I've used it for years.

Leon
10-28-2019, 06:32 PM
All auction houses are targets as far as I can tell. As for how each company handles it, to me, it is all about transparency and communication. Every outage is different.

Might be interesting to catalog the cyberattacks and or outages that have happened recently and the way each company responded to them. Are Goldin and Heritage still in limbo or have they reopened and closed already?
Are they being targeted for a reason?

samosa4u
10-29-2019, 11:34 AM
Anyone using Gavelsnipe now is just asking for trouble. I was watching an item a few nights ago that ended at $55 USD. I actually put $150 US into my Gavelsnipe and the bid got blocked by eBay. You guys need to start using something else.