PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Good (Not Evil) Card Trimmer

ejharrington
10-18-2019, 09:30 AM
I have a handful of 1970's Hostess panels and a couple of Wiffle Ball Box Side Discs that I would like to trim down and submit to PSA. I have tried in the past and just don't have the required steady hand, tools, etc. to do a good enough job. Can anyone assist me or know someone who could assist? I of course would pay for reasonable time and effort. Thanks.

Jobu
10-18-2019, 10:18 AM
SGC now does it for you, though that might cost more than you are looking for here:

https://gosgc.com/culture/cutting-edge

Peter_Spaeth
10-18-2019, 11:11 AM
Your local print shop?

bnorth
10-18-2019, 11:40 AM
Your local print shop?

In my experience they wont do it, their machines are not really made to do small custom stuff.

I have had great luck with people that do photo framing. A manual matting cutter works perfect.:)

steve B
10-18-2019, 11:43 AM
Trim the panels down to singles?

Or just neaten them up?

What would be the goal? Just getting them into a slab, or getting a good grade?

At risk of getting on a list.... maybe?

bobbyw8469
10-18-2019, 11:44 AM
SGC now does it for you, though that might cost more than you are looking for here:

I never knew they did such a thing. Any idea of the cost involved?

ejharrington
10-18-2019, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried both SGC (they won't do it) and some local print shops (not really as nice as I wanted).

ejharrington
10-18-2019, 12:03 PM
Trim the panels down to singles?

Or just neaten them up?

What would be the goal? Just getting them into a slab, or getting a good grade?

Yes, neating them up, getting into a slab and hopefully getting a high grade.

irishdenny
10-18-2019, 12:08 PM
Not So Long Ago... If Mr Bill would of taken this route He might of ended up bein an icon, rather than a cellmate!

We are Care Takers of these relics! Are we Not?

100 years from now Sumone will be cuttin/makin T206 Cobb Hangin Portraits out of the other less desired vintage players cards.

* Or maybe it's Already in the process!? :)

swarmee
10-18-2019, 12:31 PM
Cutting hand cut cards more cleanly is not frowned upon. The cards were meant to be cut after they got into collector's hands, not at the factory.

steve B
10-18-2019, 02:19 PM
Cutting hand cut cards more cleanly is not frowned upon. The cards were meant to be cut after they got into collector's hands, not at the factory.

On the wiffle discs, would using a punch be ok with PSA? Or other round cards intended to be cut?

swarmee
10-18-2019, 02:42 PM
On the wiffle discs, would using a punch be ok with PSA? Or other round cards intended to be cut?
Probably, unless they are perforated and meant to be torn out. Of course if you cut them and want to add perforations, like all those Gem Mint Tiger Woods SI4Kids which might be fraudulent, the grading companies probably won't be able to tell the difference.

steve B
10-19-2019, 07:46 PM
Probably, unless they are perforated and meant to be torn out. Of course if you cut them and want to add perforations, like all those Gem Mint Tiger Woods SI4Kids which might be fraudulent, the grading companies probably won't be able to tell the difference.

Nope, not adding anything. Just won't do that. (besides, whiffle discs never had perforations. )

I shared a shop with a leather worker and another guy, we just moved it to the other guys basement, but he has punches that are about the size of the discs.

bnorth
10-19-2019, 08:22 PM
Nope, not adding anything. Just won't do that. (besides, whiffle discs never had perforations. )

I shared a shop with a leather worker and another guy, we just moved it to the other guys basement, but he has punches that are about the size of the discs.

Before I got some nice nesting punches I used arch(leather) punches to make inserts(bat) for custom cards. Also used them to make the hole in the card for the inset. Wouldn't be to hard to make fake perforation tabs with the arch punches, would ruin them for anything else though.

ALBB
10-20-2019, 06:38 AM
You might as well just go to the evil guy and get it done :)

steve B
10-20-2019, 07:56 PM
Before I got some nice nesting punches I used arch(leather) punches to make inserts(bat) for custom cards. Also used them to make the hole in the card for the inset. Wouldn't be to hard to make fake perforation tabs with the arch punches, would ruin them for anything else though.

Too much work with arches unless you want the tabs. And even then ... These are full circle.
He also has a kick press they might be used in, but he's fussy about how it gets used. I think the biggest is three inch diameter.

Flintboy
10-21-2019, 05:08 PM
Just pick one from the thread of exposed trimmers over on blowout. If the guy you use doesn’t do a satisfactory job, just wait a few days and pick another one. They seem to be updating the list quite often.

Leon
10-24-2019, 07:20 AM
You might as well just go to the evil guy and get it done :)

Can't be much difference, no?