PDA

View Full Version : Harperless Nats make it to the WS

Fred
10-16-2019, 03:09 PM
Wow, the Nats let Harper go and the next thing you know - HELLO World Series! It's not a knock on Harper more than it was just bad timing for Harper.

Think Ray Kroc (former owner of the Padres). He bought the team in 1974 and they were really not that good for the 10 years he owned them. In the 10 years he owned the Padres, they only finished over .500 ONE time. Then poor Ray passes away in early 1984 and guess what happens? The Padres are in the World Series in 1984. At least he didn't have to watch them lose the series....

Any other fun stories of players/owners/managers leaving a team and then the team hit's the jack pot of a WS the year they left?

Smanzari
10-17-2019, 10:39 AM
I personally think the reason they hadn’t previously made it WAS Harper. IMO, he doesn’t seem much like a Team Player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

packs
10-17-2019, 12:23 PM
People still say there's a Mattingly curse. He retired in 1995 and the Yankees won it all in 1996. He left the Yankees coaching staff in 2008 to go to LA with Torre and the Yankees won again in 2009 under Girardi. He then left the Dodgers prior to the 2016 season only to see the Dodgers in the World Series in 2017.

I wouldn't feel too bad for Ray Kroc though. He caught a much better break than winning a Series in his lifetime.

egri
10-17-2019, 06:28 PM
Any other fun stories of players/owners/managers leaving a team and then the team hit's the jack pot of a WS the year they left?

Logan Mankins was drafted by the Patriots a couple months after they won Super Bowl XXXVIII, and was traded due to a contract dispute just before training camp for the 2014 season started; that year New England went on to beat Seattle. Also, Wes Welker went a combined 0-3 in Super Bowls with New England and Denver. Those two teams are 4-1 since he left.

MarcosCards
10-23-2019, 02:54 PM
I’m sure watercooler discussion continues in Detroit about letting Verlander get away in 2017 — and him subsequently helping the Astros win the World Series. And now, although a few years later, Scherzer makes it to the WS. Sheesh.

the 'stache
10-24-2019, 02:10 AM
People still say there's a Mattingly curse. He retired in 1995 and the Yankees won it all in 1996. He left the Yankees coaching staff in 2008 to go to LA with Torre and the Yankees won again in 2009 under Girardi. He then left the Dodgers prior to the 2016 season only to see the Dodgers in the World Series in 2017.

I wouldn't feel too bad for Ray Kroc though. He caught a much better break than winning a Series in his lifetime.

Can the Yankee Captain come to Milwaukee next? :p

the 'stache
10-24-2019, 02:24 AM
I will go on record as saying that I am pulling for the Nats. Yes, they ended our season, but I think it's neat that a franchise that has never won it all (going back to their days in Montreal) has a good chance to do just that, up 2-0 now. And I have to admit I like a lot of the guys on that team. I'd love to see Max Scherzer get a ring. That's the only thing his Hall of Fame career is really missing.

I hope this will exercise some of the ghosts of 1994 for the franchise.

David W
10-24-2019, 03:42 AM
The Mariners lost Arod and Randy Johnson
In back to back years and then won 116 games.

They did not make the World Series however

Bill77
10-24-2019, 10:10 AM
The Mariners lost Arod and Randy Johnson
In back to back years and then won 116 games.

They did not make the World Series however

Don't forget they also lost Griffey in between those two, and with all three on the team they still couldn't get a World Series.:eek:

David W
10-25-2019, 06:11 AM
Don't forget they also lost Griffey in between those two, and with all three on the team they still couldn't get a World Series.:eek:

Completely forgot about Griffey. Wow.

Griffey, Arod, Johnson, Edgar Martinez, Jay Buhner, Jamie Moyer.

Lots of star power, not so good results.

RTK
10-28-2019, 07:58 AM
It'll make teams think twice about signing high end free agents and the impact they'll have.