PDA

View Full Version : Pete Alonso 52nd Home Run Ball

Gary Dunaier
10-12-2019, 02:00 PM
Not vintage (unless something from a game played two weeks ago qualfies :D), but definitely game-used.

MLB is auctioning Pete Alonso's record-tying 52nd home run ball, which has been signed and inscribed by the "Polar Bear."

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48886195913_c6072c3623_n.jpg

There were no issues about authenticity because the ball hit a wall and bounced back onto the field. Here's a screenshot from the live SNY (Mets) broadcast, showing the ball bouncing back onto the field after hitting the wall...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48886733496_c7e33c0800_z.jpg

(In the above image, the ball is the diagonal white line just above the orange home run line, over the word "care.")

After the game, the Mets tweeted (https://twitter.com/Mets/status/1177793399669309441) a picture of Alonso holding the authenticated ball - note the hologram sticker - with the message "It's a keeper for @Pete_Alonso20!"

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48886976987_87e9d11882.jpg

The reason I thought the auction might be of interest to you is that, with 43 bids in and eight days to go, the current high bid is $10,530.

You all know that I'm a Mets fan. I'm also a Pete Alonso fan, and if you don't believe me, here's proof:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48886897286_8e59865802_z.jpg

If that doesn't serve as the ironest of iron-clad documentation, nothing will. :cool:

Anyway, I'm saying this because, even though it's the Mets, and even though it's Pete Alonso, and even though it's a milestone ball... ten thousand dollars for a ball from a game that was only played two weeks ago? I'm shaking my head so much you'd think I was trying to be a real-life version of my bobblehead... :eek:

Pete Alonso Autographed Game-Used Baseball - Alonso Ties MLB Rookie Record for Most HRs in a Season - Inscribed "Career HR #52, Ties Single Season Rookie HR Record" - Dallas Keuchel to Pete Alonso - Home Run - 1st Inning - Mets vs. Braves - 9/27/19 (https://mets.auctions.mlb.com/iSynApp/auctionDisplay.action?sid=1102481&auctionId=2837114&pgmode1=teamsearch&pgcust1&fbclid=IwAR0HdL4AhblFmDdTuI_-5roRNS2vAveiygTzyMXzeXuudYbGQK5GdIFPcbM#bid-history)

71buc
10-12-2019, 04:58 PM
More power to who ever is passionate or silly enough to land it. I own McGwires Rookie HR ball #38 autographed and inscribed as such. At that time he tied the MLB record for HRs by a rookie and set the AL record. I was offered more than 10k for it before the PED scandals. I suppose I should have taken it. Oh well...

ooo-ribay
10-13-2019, 08:12 AM
Another stellar modern autograph. :rolleyes:

bnorth
10-13-2019, 08:35 AM
More power to who ever is passionate or silly enough to land it. I own McGwires Rookie HR ball #38 autographed and inscribed as such. At that time he tied the MLB record for HRs by a rookie and set the AL record. I was offered more than 10k for it before the PED scandals. I suppose I should have taken it. Oh well...

Congrats on owning the McGwire ball, that is AWESOME!

I really like that this ball is authenticated and you will receive the real ball. It ties a ML record so it should bring a ton of cash.:)

itslarry
10-13-2019, 09:37 AM
Mets fand have so little to be happy about, makes sense this ball goes for that much. What else are they going to buy modern?

steve B
10-13-2019, 01:19 PM
Then- "It's a keeper"
A couple weeks later - "It's up for auction"

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

bnorth
10-14-2019, 09:24 AM
Then- "It's a keeper"

I think we have all had that happen. I know I wanted a fairly rare Joe DiMaggio really bad. After I got one I was like damn this is a ugly card and sold it.

Snapolit1
10-14-2019, 12:40 PM
Mets fand have so little to be happy about, makes sense this ball goes for that much. What else are they going to buy modern?

I don't know, maybe the current, possibly 2x Cy Young winner? Tom Seaver? Dwight Gooden? Santana no-hitter stuff? Piazza?

Runscott
10-16-2019, 12:25 PM
Then- "It's a keeper"

Steve, at least on this forum, I can count on one hand the number of forum members who sell their 'keepers' after only 2 weeks. They exist, but they are not common. 6 months maybe, but not 2 weeks.

Smanzari
10-16-2019, 02:02 PM
Steve, at least on this forum, I can count on one hand the number of forum members who sell their 'keepers' after only 2 weeks. They exist, but they are not common. 6 months maybe, but not 2 weeks.

Not gonna lie, I'm HORRIBLE with this- after the chase some things are no longer "fun"

Runscott
10-16-2019, 02:24 PM
Not gonna lie, I'm HORRIBLE with this- after the chase some things are no longer "fun"

I think you are onto something. The chase often is most of it.

Snapolit1
10-17-2019, 07:49 AM
I don't think paying 10K for that ball is anywhere remotely as crazy as someone paying 25K for an Alonso or Acuna or Judge special purple refractor diamond card (15/25).

steve B
10-17-2019, 12:11 PM

It just struck me as odd that a player would get a milestone ball like that, declare it a keeper than almost instantly sell it.

Flipping collectibles is one thing, but when there's that personal connection - "this is the ball that I set a record with" that seems strange.

Snapolit1
10-17-2019, 12:27 PM
It just struck me as odd that a player would get a milestone ball like that, declare it a keeper than almost instantly sell it.

Flipping collectibles is one thing, but when there's that personal connection - "this is the ball that I set a record with" that seems strange.

It's raising money for a charity.

bigfanNY
10-17-2019, 07:12 PM
And there is the real possibility that now that Pete Alonso has the ball he hit for Home run 53 he could let go of Home run 52..

Gary Dunaier
10-19-2019, 11:22 PM

For what it's worth, the tweet was posted by the Mets, not Alonso. Obviously "It’s a keeper for @Pete_Alonso20!" implies that Alonso was given the ball, but the actual tweet was written by whoever has the authority to write tweets on the Mets' behalf - Alonso didn't say 'It's a keeper for me!' or anything in that vein.

Gary Dunaier
10-19-2019, 11:26 PM
With 18 hours to go - the auction is currently scheduled to end today (10/20/19) at 8.00pm Eastern time - the ball is now at $14,590.

Gary Dunaier
10-20-2019, 06:53 PM
The auction has closed, and the final price was - are you sitting down? - $27,690 (twenty-seven thousand, six hundred and ninety dollars).

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48933108217_3598ce3920_b.jpg

The story may not be over yet, though. The last 23 minutes of the auction developed into a bidding war between two individuals (the third bidder dropped out at $15,040). However, in the Facebook group "MLB Game Used," one person said that the winning bidder is a non-payer; however, another member of the group responded that he a) knows the winning bidder, b) just texted him, and c) believes he'll pay. So we'll see what happens.

But in the meantime... wow wow wow wow wow! :eek:

Runscott
10-24-2019, 09:51 AM
To me the evidence of MLB auction results indicates that "non-paying bidder" means "MLB Shill Account". I say this because MLB Auctions requires a credit card before you can bid, and they take payment from your card immediately when the auction ends.

I was bid up on a baseball a few years ago, then the next day was told by MLB Auctions that I could have it for the high bid, even though I lost.

Not sure if the shill accounts are at the team level or MLB level.

packs
10-24-2019, 12:22 PM
Theoretically you could register a credit card with a limit below the purchase price. That would prevent automatic charge and result in non-payment.

Runscott
10-25-2019, 01:19 PM
Obviously, but I don't believe that is what's happening.

Also obviously, I am not involved with MLB auctions, so anything I mention is just theory. Take it as you may.