PDA

View Full Version : Sunday pop quiz, especially for NY Yankees fans

ValKehl
10-06-2019, 04:17 PM
One of the true joys for me of collecting vintage baseball cards is constantly learning new things about the players pictured on our cherished cards. My #1 collecting focus is cards of all the players on the Washington Senators 1924 one-and-only World Series Championship Team. (Note: my 2019 Nationals will soon be the second Washington team to win a WS)

I just learned that one of the Senators' pitchers threw the first no hitter in NY Yankees history on April 24, 1917, versus the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park. Keep in mind that the detested (by Yankees' fans) Red Sox were a powerhouse in those days, whereas the Yankees were anything but. Name this pitcher, who also played a key role in the 1924 WS victory. This may not be a hard quiz, so please don't resort to reference material.

RedsFan1941
10-06-2019, 04:41 PM
i pray the answer isn’t george halas

ValKehl
10-06-2019, 05:20 PM
i pray the answer isn’t george halas

Nope!

tedzan
10-06-2019, 05:45 PM
Hi Val

George Mogridge

TED Z

ValKehl
10-06-2019, 08:27 PM
Yes Ted, you got it, which does not surprise me - well done!

George Mogridge was mostly a starting pitcher during his career, although he did lead the AL with 7 saves as a Yankee in 2018. His career record is 132 wins vs. 133 losses with a 3.23 ERA over a 15-year career.

As a Washington Senator, Mogridge shined in the 1924 WS vs. the powerful NY Giants. He won his only start, in Game 4, giving up only 2 earned runs in 7.1 innings. In the deciding Game 7, Mogridge was part of "Boy Wonder," first-year-playing-manager Stanley "Bucky" Harris' clever strategy. Harris started Curly Ogden, a righty who had experienced arm soreness late in the season, to induce Giants' manager John McGraw to start powerful, lefty-batter Bill Terry at first base. Then, after Ogden faced 2 batters, Harris brought in lefty Mogridge, who proceeded to pitch 4.2 innings, giving up only 1 earned run, helping to pave the way for WaJo to become the winning pitcher in the 12th inning. Terry was pinch hit for by Meusel after 2 ABs.

On a personal collection note, I'm thrilled to have recently completed a back run of T207 Mogridge cards - Broad Leaf, Cycle, and Anonymous Factories 3 & 25 - assuming a Red Cross back hasn't been discovered. As per Leon's desire, every thread should include a card:

BuzzD
10-07-2019, 09:42 AM
Here he is as a Yankee. Conlon Photo and Willard Choc.