PDA

View Full Version : New Auction?

whiteymet
10-01-2019, 09:10 PM
Did anyone get an email today about Crazy Uncle Auctions?

It says it is a company owned by collectors for collectors. The owners and directors of Crazy Uncle have been involved in some of the most significant auctions in sports collectibles history. They use their vast hobby knowledge and clientele to further enhance the experience for all collectors who make use of the Crazy Uncle Auction and The Uncle’s Attic private purchase platform.

Any idea what "collectors" are behind this new venture?

Leon
10-02-2019, 06:55 AM
They are a new (appreciated) advertiser and Aaron Rothschild is working there, who is a member here, and used to work for Steiners. I don't know a whole lot about them but we'll see. Apparently they are trying to make more of a push into vintage.

Did anyone get an email today about Crazy Uncle Auctions?

It says it is a company owned by collectors for collectors. The owners and directors of Crazy Uncle have been involved in some of the most significant auctions in sports collectibles history. They use their vast hobby knowledge and clientele to further enhance the experience for all collectors who make use of the Crazy Uncle Auction and The Uncle’s Attic private purchase platform.

Any idea what "collectors" are behind this new venture?

bcbgcbrcb
10-02-2019, 01:03 PM
I just checked out their website after clicking on the link from their Net54 ad. Personally, I would like to see a lot more information under their "About Us" tab to see what kind of background and experience these people have and more info about who is actually behind the company. A street address would also be helpful (unless it's there and I missed that). Just my initial browse doesn't give me a whole lot of comfort in even registering with my own personal information on their site, too bad, because they have a couple of items that I would be interested in bidding on.

nsaddict
10-02-2019, 01:21 PM
At first I thought it was a reincarnation of Candiman :)

JackW
10-02-2019, 01:33 PM
At first I thought it was a reincarnation of Candiman :)

I thought the exact same thing. Puzzling how the website provides no information about who you are dealing with. Thank you Leon for disclosing one name.

Snapolit1
10-02-2019, 01:36 PM
I’ve dealt with Aaron in the past and like him a great deal. Very knowledgeable and seems wired into to the collecting community. Including his posts here. Looking forward to learning more and seeing what they have to offer.

Leon
10-02-2019, 01:48 PM
I’ve dealt with Aaron in the past and like him a great deal. Very knowledgeable and seems wired into to the collecting community. Including his posts here. Looking forward to learning more and seeing what they have to offer.

+1
I pointed this thread to him in an email and he responded he is on the road.
I am sure Aaron will post when he gets a chance. There is a number on the front page of their site so I guess anyone is free to call and talk to them. I have been dealing with Aaron for several years and he has always done what he said he would do. I don't know much about the new company he is with but I am sure we will find out more in the near future.

drcy
10-02-2019, 02:42 PM
I just checked out their website after clicking on the link from their Net54 ad. Personally, I would like to see a lot more information under their "About Us" tab to see what kind of background and experience these people have and more info about who is actually behind the company. A street address would also be helpful (unless it's there and I missed that). Just my initial browse doesn't give me a whole lot of comfort in even registering with my own personal information on their site, too bad, because they have a couple of items that I would be interested in bidding on.

I tend to agree that 'about us's for auctions should give more detailed background about the owners and workers. People want to know who's running the auctions and their experience and expertise. If, as Leon says, it's in part run by a former Steiner employee, that's good to know and it benefits the auction house itself for customers to know that.

But that's my opinion not a rule, and I'm not telling anyone what they have to do.

calvindog
10-02-2019, 03:23 PM
Using a scanner instead of what looks like a cellphone camera, shadows included, for images of lots might engender less skepticism.

Aquarian Sports Cards
10-02-2019, 06:02 PM
I'm not that new... Oh, wait.

RedsFan1941
10-02-2019, 06:14 PM
just new to M116 Cobbs. :)

pokerplyr80
10-05-2019, 08:03 AM
Using a scanner instead of what looks like a cellphone camera, shadows included, for images of lots might engender less skepticism.

It is just the preview up now. Maybe better pictures and some back scans will be posted before bidding starts. I certainly hope so.

Also seems strange that they would pay to advertise here but not respond to the thread.

Frank A
10-05-2019, 10:30 AM
Sorry, but I find it funny that any of you think he needs your permission to start an auction company. Anyone can do it and that is when you will find out if they are any good or not. End.

RedsFan1941
10-05-2019, 11:06 AM
where did anyone say he needed permission? but if you think an auction house that for the most part remains anonymous on its website isn’t a questionable move in today’s environment, then you have my permission to live dangerously. i for one wish Aaron the best of luck on his auction house and in his extended travels.

pokerplyr80
10-05-2019, 01:41 PM
Sorry, but I find it funny that any of you think he needs your permission to start an auction company. Anyone can do it and that is when you will find out if they are any good or not. End.

I'm curious as to who this statement is directed towards. I saw no one state anyone needs our permission to start an auction house.

My comment simply stated I find it odd they'd pay to advertise yet haven't commented on this thread, which could basically be free advertisement.

Aquarian Sports Cards
10-05-2019, 02:29 PM
I'm curious as to who this statement is directed towards. I saw no one state anyone needs our permission to start an auction house.

My comment simply stated I find it odd they'd pay to advertise yet haven't commented on this thread, which could basically be free advertisement.

I agree I was thinking I blew it, I should've started anonymously for the free advertising!

calvindog
10-05-2019, 03:11 PM
It is just the preview up now. Maybe better pictures and some back scans will be posted before bidding starts. I certainly hope so.

Also seems strange that they would pay to advertise here but not respond to the thread.

I don't use my scanner but does it take longer to scan a card and upload it than it does to take a picture with an iphone 5 and upload it?

pokerplyr80
10-05-2019, 03:52 PM
I don't use my scanner but does it take longer to scan a card and upload it than it does to take a picture with an iphone 5 and upload it?

Perhaps slightly longer. There is the extra step of sending it from the scanner to a computer and then posting. The iPhone picture can go straight to the website.

Or they might still be shopping around for the right scanner.

Aquarian Sports Cards
10-05-2019, 05:53 PM
Marginally, but the trade off in quality is more than worth it, especially now-a-days when people understandably want to see great detail even in the graded cards.

RedsFan1941
10-05-2019, 06:34 PM
given the choice of camera phone photos or no photos at all, bidders prefer camera phone photos.

steve B
10-06-2019, 05:00 PM
Perhaps slightly longer. There is the extra step of sending it from the scanner to a computer and then posting. The iPhone picture can go straight to the website.

Or they might still be shopping around for the right scanner.

My scanner saves directly to the computer, no sending it required at all.

My phone... No idea. I take pictures with it, but generally have to hook it to the computer with a USB wire to get the pics into the computer.

chalupacollects
10-06-2019, 06:51 PM

Looks like from phone number located in Yonkers NY or nearby...

AJR
10-07-2019, 12:50 AM
Hi Everyone - Sorry for the delay - I have been traveling with limited access to email and internet.

Crazy Uncle Auctions is a new auction and we are very excited to be holding our first Card & Memorabilia Online Auction October 14th - November 17th at crazyuncleauctions.com

The auction will feature roughly 1000 lots of items with something for everyone!

With regard to the "About Us" Page on the website - we will be adding more information shortly.

I am the President of the company and handle all auction operations. For those of you that I do not know, I was the Senior Auction Coordinator at Steiner Auctions and have been an active collector since the 1980s. My personal collection has gone down many roads, but currently focuses on Tinker, Evers and Chance.

The owners of Crazy Uncle are a small group of elite collectors, none of whom work in the hobby. They have participated in every major auction in the hobby since the early 1990's. The principal owner is a business executive at a prominent company who prior to his professional career was a top distributor of cards for Topps and a mid-century set builder/seller - the kind you all remember from the back of the trade magazines. He has personally bought and sold nearly 3,000,000 baseball cards in his life.

We are located at 175 Varick Street in Manhattan and available to meet in the Tri-State area or at the office by appointment. We have our warehouse in White Plains, NY.

Our phone number is (914) 439 - 7105 and our email is info@crazyuncleuactions.com

I hope this answers some of the questions posted on this thread and I hope to see all of you in the auction!!

If there are any other questions feel free to reach out.

Thanks!

Aaron

ALBB
10-07-2019, 05:57 AM
OK, So your our Uncle Crazy ~ :)