PDA

View Full Version : Fun flea find

timn1
09-29-2019, 10:41 PM
I picked this photo up a couple of weeks at an antique/flea show - shows Lon Warneke in what appears to be the National League uniform for the first All-Star game in 1933. As far as I can determine, the NL had custom-made unis for the game, and the AL players wore their own team unis. I'm guessing the NL players were given the uniforms to keep after the game.

On July 6, 1933, when the first All-Star game took place, Warneke was 9-6 with an ERA of 1.61. He pitched brilliantly all season and ended 18-13 with a 2.00 ERA. Only Hubbell was better that year. Warneke pitched 4 innings in the All-Star game and even hit a triple and scored a run.

I also like the inscription that notes how Warneke doesn't look like "such a tough-looking fellow" .... not so sure about that.

Mark
09-29-2019, 11:20 PM
extremely cool photo! who would have thought thatsoemone nicknamed the Arkansas Hummingbird would not seem to be all that tough?

BruceinGa
09-30-2019, 05:27 AM
Nice! Thanks for sharing.

Hot Springs Bathers
09-30-2019, 06:21 AM
Tim- Lon wore that NL All-Star uniform for many years. I have seen numerous photos and film clips of him in that uniform at the old Ray Doan Baseball School and other events. I see his daughter Lonnie quite often I'll ask her if she knows what happened to it.