PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Shipping Insurance

Fballguy
09-25-2019, 07:46 AM
Unfortunately, USPS in the Houston/Dallas area has become so unreliable I've had to start insuring just about everything I sell and was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the two types of insurance eBay offers:

1) Shipcover insurance
2) USPS insurance

What's the difference? Is either better than the other? At the rate packages disappear/arrive damaged around here, it's only a matter of time before I'll have to activate the service. Since the start of the year, I've had a least a half dozen that I was either receiving or sending that just never made it...for some reason the USPS is never able to explain...or even try for that matter.

Appreciate any feedback.

icurnmedic
09-25-2019, 08:28 AM
Had a package go missing in Texas 5 years ago, destination Beckett. Lost a few hundred dollars, but USPS finally did pay out the $4600 I could "prove" was in the package. Since then, Registered mail , is the ONLY way I ship something more than $400. Costs about $5 more on average , but worth the peace of mind, at least to me.

Fballguy
09-25-2019, 06:15 PM
I'd like the security of registered mail but not really practical for everything I sell.

Fballguy
09-26-2019, 05:47 PM
Bump this once and see if someone out there has experience or opinion...

murphy8276
09-29-2019, 04:20 AM
I would say to use shipcover when you can. It is much cheaper and ran right through ebay/paypal based on the sale price of your item(s). With usps, you might have to dispute it with them separately and prove the value, but they generally pay out when it is reasonable also since it is their fault package would be lost. I do not think with either you are taking any extra risk, although you do get your shipping cost back with usps, not shipcover so if it is a pricey cost that may affect your decision also.

Alternative to either option, you can consider purchasing insurance on your entire collection with collectinsure and it covers shipping depending on the insured value and the shipping type selected. A lot of larger sellers do this so they do not have to individually purchase it and the cost per year is pretty reasonable at around $25-30 per month for $50k coverage.

Fballguy
09-29-2019, 08:30 AM
I would say to use shipcover when you can. It is much cheaper and ran right through ebay/paypal based on the sale price of your item(s). With usps, you might have to dispute it with them separately and prove the value, but they generally pay out when it is reasonable also since it is their fault package would be lost. I do not think with either you are taking any extra risk, although you do get your shipping cost back with usps, not shipcover so if it is a pricey cost that may affect your decision also.

Alternative to either option, you can consider purchasing insurance on your entire collection with collectinsure and it covers shipping depending on the insured value and the shipping type selected. A lot of larger sellers do this so they do not have to individually purchase it and the cost per year is pretty reasonable at around $25-30 per month for $50k coverage.

Very helpful information. Thank you.

jfkheat
09-29-2019, 11:12 AM
If I remember correctly, Shipcover doesn't cover items shipped to California.

RL
09-29-2019, 02:51 PM
I use stamps.com and use their insurance.

tell stamps.com you want the free plan for Ebay sellers.