PDA

View Full Version : Is there a premium?

KCRfan1
09-23-2019, 12:48 PM
I realize this may be a general question, however I need to ask anyway.

Is there a premium for cards that were part of a recognizable named collection, such as Lionel Carter, Dimitri Young, and the like?

To take things even further, cards that were part of a specific find, like the Black Swamp?

At the end of the day, the cards are what they are regardless of who owned the card.

Any thoughts or is this a moot issue?

ullmandds
09-23-2019, 01:02 PM
yes...there can be a premium associated with cards that came from certain collections or with certain provenance...but...cards from the BSF are kinda unique. There are threads discussing this in recent past.

Throttlesteer
09-23-2019, 01:03 PM
This was discussed not too long ago. I believe the general consensus was that i the provenance might help with confidence that the card hasn't been altered. In those cases, it would bring at least strong values, if not a bit of a premium. However, the BSF had a very different impact on the hobby. You essentially took what used to be a fairly rare and condition sensitive set and flooded the market with a ton of high grade cards. In my opinion, the BSF E98s are awesome and allow collectors to get their hands on some high grade examples of some of the best images for the time. But, the BSF had a significant negative impact on the values of E98s, considering the high grades of the find.

Exhibitman
09-23-2019, 05:20 PM
Some collectors like having a card that traces back to a hobby pioneer. There is a good thread on here somewhere about Jefferson Burdick-owned cards that ended up in collectors hands.

frankbmd
09-23-2019, 09:31 PM
The Original Monster Number Set will command a premium when put on the market.;)

Leon
09-27-2019, 10:51 AM
I will pay a little more for cards with good provenance. My guess is that provenance value could grow more in the future. Provenance such as when they come with the pack they were issued in :). (shown before but relevant to the topic) A few of these could go in the centering thread too...

http://luckeycards.com/pw575group1.jpg

glchen
09-27-2019, 02:52 PM
I usually don't pay extra for a card just because it was in notable collector's collection. However, I thought it was pretty cool that Babe Ruth once owned this Real Photo Postcard with him in it.