PDA

View Full Version : Oddball Pete Alonso game-used item from the game where he hit his 50th home run

Gary Dunaier
09-21-2019, 01:39 PM
Here’s a little insight into how my mind works.

I was watching last night’s Mets game on the television (NYM at CIN, 9/20/19) and saw Pete Alonso hit his 50th home run of the year. During the next at-bat SNY cut to the "Polar Bear" in the dugout as the broadcasters marveled at his achievement.

Alonso happened to be drinking a cup of water at the time the camera was on him, and as God is my witness, my first thought was that someone needs to put that cup aside and have it authenticated. After all, Alonso used it just two minutes after hitting that historic home run.

Yeah, I was being kinda silly, but I really did think that. We live in a time when celebrity-used personal memorabilia is a thing. Instead of “eww, why would you want a used widget” it’s now “wow, you have a widget that was actually used by Famous Person, that’s awesome!”

Besides, as sports collectors we know perhaps better than anyone else that if you match the right item with the right buyer for the right price, you can sell anything.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48771173502_c0989aa3df_c.jpg