PDA

View Full Version : Ross Barnes--the pride of Mt Morris NY

sulldux
09-16-2019, 01:10 PM
Had the chance to visit Mt Morris over the weekend--a lovely and scenic part of NY state if you haven't been there. While there I came across a small park in the town that contained a memorial to the memory of Ross Barnes, a native of Mt Morris. It is a beautiful memorial to his life and recounts much of his history and record as one of the true greats of the early game. The construction and dedication of the memorial was spearheaded by Gary Passamonte, a long time Net 54er. It is a wonderful memorial to one of the early greats of the game that is all too forgotten by many of us and for all of that work I say "Well done Gary"

ejharrington
09-16-2019, 02:30 PM
Beautiful; thanks for sharing.

JeremyW
09-16-2019, 03:37 PM
That's an amazing monument to Ross Barnes. Thanks for showing that. Gary, you should be really proud of that.

triwak
09-16-2019, 03:42 PM
That's an amazing monument to Ross Barnes. Thanks for showing that. Gary, you should be really proud of that.

+1

GaryPassamonte
09-16-2019, 05:10 PM
Thank you. This was a labor of love. Now if we could just get the Hall of Fame to give Barnes, as well as other baseball pioneers, there just due.

Paul S
09-17-2019, 12:21 PM
Thank you. This was a labor of love. Now if we could just get the Hall of Fame to give Barnes, as well as other baseball pioneers, there just due.Was just about to say... How can you apply the 10-year rule to the Pioneer era? I have no idea which current HOF committee elects, but I have a pretty good idea they don't know history.

Exhibitman
09-17-2019, 12:40 PM
That's really great. Thanks for sharing it.

Jeff_cvc
09-17-2019, 01:08 PM
This is what I’ve missed during my two year hiatus from collecting, posts like this. It doesn’t have to be earth shattering news, it’s the sharing of these everyday stories that make this site a community. I think that is all we are really looking for, a community around baseball. Sulldux, thank you for sharing. Gary, awesome work making this beautiful monument happen.

GaryPassamonte
09-17-2019, 03:34 PM
I'd be remiss if I didn't acknowledge Dave Stalker. Dave is the driving force behind a monument series honoring 19th century and dead ball era players and teams. To date over 20 monuments have been placed. The Barnes memorial is part of this series. Currently. work is underway to honor Deacon and Will White with a monument in their hometown of Caton NY.

chalupacollects
09-17-2019, 07:14 PM
Is that off Route 9W?

GaryPassamonte
09-18-2019, 03:51 AM
Caton is just south of Corning NY.

Leon
09-20-2019, 10:01 AM
Well done, Gary et al.

I'd be remiss if I didn't acknowledge Dave Stalker. Dave is the driving force behind a monument series honoring 19th century and dead ball era players and teams. To date over 20 monuments have been placed. The Barnes memorial is part of this series. Currently. work is underway to honor Deacon and Will White with a monument in their hometown of Caton NY.