PDA

View Full Version : Doggies - 1910 Perfection Foods Premium

Leon
09-16-2019, 12:11 PM
Always like to see the doggies. This blank back paper, approximately 10" x 14 1/2" dog food premium, is a new one to my site though not my collection...(or office :))

Love the doggies especially with baseball influence.

This blurb is taken from the LOTG site, though this is not the one that was sold there. Mine isn't quite as nice.

http://loveofthegameauctions.com/1910_perfection_foods_advertising_premium-lot10032.aspx

One of our favorite items in the entire auction, a 14 1/2" x 10" lithographic premium courtesy of the Perfection Foods Company of Battle Creek, Michigan, entitled "Two To Win - One To Tie." The piece depicts dogs playinig baseball, watched by a grandstand filled with canine spectators engaging in typical human behavior - smoking cigarettes and cigars, fanning themselves, waving their hats, and yelling at the players on the field. The piece was originally created by the artist Cassius Marcellus Coolidge, who is probably better-known for his "dogs playing poker" paintings. The original was one of sixteen oil paintings createdby Coolidge for Brown & Bigelow featuring dogs in a variety of human situations (including testifying in court, ballroom dancing, a Masonic initiation, and camping."

The Brown & Bigelow copyright is printed at the bottom-right of the piece, underneath the Perfection Foods advertising information. The piece itself is in VG/EX condition with mild age-related wear that does not disrupt the outstanding display quality of the piece.

http://luckeycards.com/dogprem2b.jpg

brianp-beme
09-16-2019, 12:45 PM
I didn't realize they allowed dogs at the ballpark back then.

Extra cool piece...the dogs are really into watching the game. Heck, the overflow crowd is even on the grandstand roof!

Brian

nolemmings
09-16-2019, 03:30 PM
Very nice--probably a favorite of Buck Barker.

I notice there are no vendors in the picture. Probably a very slow day, unless they were calling them frankfurters.:)

Leon
09-17-2019, 06:44 AM
Yeap, no hot dogs for sale to doggies. :)
Another doggie card (this a postcard), this one a postcard, also from LOTG. They seem to be the doggie card auction house. I Like it.

http://luckeycards.com/dogspostcard.jpeg

Very nice--probably a favorite of Buck Barker.

I notice there are no vendors in the picture. Probably a very slow day, unless they were calling them frankfurters.:)

Tripredacus
09-17-2019, 10:51 AM
Both these you posted seem to have the same source, or one was a copy of the other. The dogs in the crowd are the same, wearing the same things and have the same things around them... hat in the air, umbrellas between them. But at a different angle or "picture taken at a different time" type of look.

Paul S
09-17-2019, 11:50 AM
Doggie at the plate in first picture has an open stance and its front paws apart - telegraphing a bunt. Don't they teach them anything at training school?

Peter_Spaeth
09-17-2019, 12:21 PM
If Barry knew what he was missing, I bet he'd come right back.

Paul S
09-17-2019, 12:23 PM
Yes, Peter

nolemmings
09-17-2019, 01:15 PM
Honestly, I find these postcards to be, well, fetching.

chalupacollects
09-17-2019, 07:16 PM
Maybe they ran out of cats-up?