PDA

View Full Version : Cards featuring Managers

The-Cardfather
09-14-2019, 12:07 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the last time that MLB managers were featured in a major set was in the 2016 Topps Heritage set.

What gives? Does anyone know why Topps stopped issuing cards of managers.

Personally, I would like to see them return to the Topps regular issue set.

I'm curious to see how the rest of you feel about this.

mrmopar
09-14-2019, 02:07 PM
My first real exposure to baseball cards came in 1978 and each manager had his own card and there were team cards too. I guess I would have expected that to be normal, knowing nothing else about cards before those. The following season, managers didn't have cards but got a small photo on the team card. I would come to find out that this was done in the past as well and would continue for several years after. I think it was 1983 when Topps finally gave managers their own cards again.

Personally, I don't mind them, but I also don't buy new cards in packs anymore, only singles I want. I remember as a kid, the feeling I got when instead of another player, I got that stupid yellow checklist. Manager cards may provide the same letdown for some. I always liked the "special" subset cards though, regardless of what they were (except checklists).

I even enjoy the "premium" oddballs, like the GM autos.

The-Cardfather
09-15-2019, 11:22 PM
I didn't know who Ned Colletti was until I just did a quick Google search.

But his toupee is almost as bad as Joe Pepitone's

Tripredacus
09-16-2019, 02:21 PM
Having managers in the base set would be nice. If only to cut down on the duplicated player cards which seems to be getting worse.

I always liked the "as a player, as a manager" type design and wished that there could be more of those. Throwback cards of managers from their playing days.

Also a reason I like minor league team sets, they will put cards in for the coaches as well, who are often ex-players.

clydepepper
09-18-2019, 11:46 AM
Am I the only one who sees this year's Topps base set as the most disorganized, from a numerical standpoint, set ever?

Tripredacus
09-18-2019, 02:38 PM
I stopped trying to do the sets because of that. The last one I was working on was 2016, when I saw 2017 was just as bad I threw in the towel.