PDA

View Full Version : I'm Done with Net54

barrysloate
09-13-2019, 02:41 PM
I know, we've had these melodramatic posts before, but I'm doing this for a reason: I'm tired of politics on Net54.

We've had a few instances lately of posters adding politics to their posts, and I spoke with Leon about putting a stop to it. It has no place on a baseball card chatboard.

I happened to click on the thread today about Sep 11 in the Watercooler Section; it's a day I remember all too well as I live only a mile from the WTC. And sure enough, two of our regular dumbasses turned the post hostile by showing us how stupid they actually are. And that's it for me, I'm done with this bullshit.

Pleae don't post here asking me back. It won't happen. And it's unlikely I will read Net54 anymore. There are idiots everywhere, I don't need to come here to find them.

However, if anybody has questions about baseball memorabilia, and need my expertise, feel free to email me at bsloate@verizon.net, I'm always happy to help. and happy collecting to all.

ullmandds
09-13-2019, 03:07 PM
Sorry to see you go, barry...you’re as good a guy as anyone ive met in this hobby!

bobbyw8469
09-13-2019, 03:19 PM
I read the post over in the water cooler section, and I really don't see whatever you saw to make you want to leave forever. I remember that day like it was yesterday. A lot of Americans lost their lives on that fateful day. I hear some conspiracy theorists say that it was our own government that caused 9/11. That angers me to no end. People LOST THEIR LIVES. I too, am angered by the phrase "Some People Did Something". It lessens and cheapens the value of the thousands of lives that were lost that day. I am sorry to see you go, but don't let your anger about politics affect you.

davidb
09-13-2019, 03:23 PM
Barry, I understand your frustration but don't leave... you are a true voice of reason and objectivity for the industry. Don't let the political boneheads win!

vintagetoppsguy
09-13-2019, 03:31 PM
I know, we've had these melodramatic posts before, but I'm doing this for a reason: I'm tired of politics on Net54.

We've had a few instances lately of posters adding politics to their posts, and I spoke with Leon about putting a stop to it. It has no place on a baseball card chatboard.

I happened to click on the thread today about Sep 11 in the Watercooler Section; it's a day I remember all too well as I live only a mile from the WTC. And sure enough, two of our regular dumbasses turned the post hostile by showing us how stupid they actually are. And that's it for me, I'm done with this bullshit.

Pleae don't post here asking me back. It won't happen. And it's unlikely I will read Net54 anymore. There are idiots everywhere, I don't need to come here to find them.

However, if anybody has questions about baseball memorabilia, and need my expertise, feel free to email me at bsloate@verizon.net, I'm always happy to help. and happy collecting to all.

Goodbye and good riddance!

Just because a political figure made the comment does not make it a political comment. It was a stupid and insensitive comment to make no matter who said it. If it were some actor, sports star, celebrity or other notable figure that had made the comment that I quoted we wouldn't even be having this discussion and it wouldn't be considered political. But Because Ilhan Omar made the comment, you want to call it political. You're the dumbass!

Edited to add: We use phrases like "Never Forget" but if we don't condemn comments like hers (again regardless of who said it), then we have forgotten.

earlywynnfan
09-13-2019, 03:34 PM
Any chance you can take David with you?

samosa4u
09-13-2019, 03:37 PM
I read the post over in the water cooler section, and I really don't see whatever you saw to make you want to leave forever. I remember that day like it was yesterday. A lot of Americans lost their lives on that fateful day. I hear some conspiracy theorists say that it was our own government that caused 9/11. That angers me to no end. People LOST THEIR LIVES. I too, am angered by the phrase "Some People Did Something". It lessens and cheapens the value of the thousands of lives that were lost that day. I am sorry to see you go, but don't let your anger about politics affect you.

+1

Rich Klein
09-13-2019, 03:41 PM
Sorry to see you go, barry...you’re as good a guy as anyone ive met in this hobby!

This may be the 1st time, but I'm in total agreement with another person who grew up in the NY area: ullmandds

Regards
Rich

Leon
09-13-2019, 03:47 PM
I guess the infraction you just got didn't matter. Good bye.
Political statements can be made elsewhere, not here.

Just because a political figure made the comment does not make it a political comment. It was a stupid and insensitive comment to make no matter who said it. If it were some actor, sports star, celebrity or other notable figure that had made the comment that I quoted we wouldn't even be having this discussion and it wouldn't be considered political. But Because Ilhan Omar made the comment, you want to call it political. You're the dumbass!

Edited to add: We use phrases like "Never Forget" but if we don't condemn comments like hers (again regardless of who said it), then we have forgotten.

ramram
09-13-2019, 03:49 PM
What we need here is now leaving and what needs to leave is remaining. Sucks.

Rob M

Edited to add - Looks like Leon took care of the later part of that statement.

Cliff Bowman
09-13-2019, 03:55 PM
I would have way more respect for Mr Sloate if he had complained equally about political statements made by those on his side of the aisle, there would only be silence from him on those occasions but his head would explode if it was someone from the other side. I will PayPal anyone $20 if they show me a post he made telling someone with views similar to his to knock it off or complain about it.

HOF Auto Rookies
09-13-2019, 03:56 PM
Sorry to see you go, Barry. I have always enjoyed your insight.

KMayUSA6060
09-13-2019, 03:57 PM
Hmmmm...

My EMT professor ran a pen down my finger/knuckles last night to check for responsiveness. I responded - it hurt. I'll refrain from risking a slap to that wrist as well.

Sorry to see you go, Barry.

Ricky
09-13-2019, 04:08 PM
That's a big loss. Barry is one of most knowledgeable baseball card guys around.

OldOriole
09-13-2019, 04:11 PM
A true gentleman with a wealth of card knowledge and history. Barry, I really hate to see you go. I have appreciated your posts on here since well before we made the change to this website. Much like your auctions, I will miss you on the board.

bmattioli
09-13-2019, 04:37 PM
If you don't want to be here delete your account and move on. That easy..

al032184
09-13-2019, 04:40 PM

JollyElm
09-13-2019, 04:41 PM
I would have way more respect for Mr Sloate if he had complained equally about political statements made by those on his side of the aisle, there would only be silence from him on those occasions but his head would explode if it was someone from the other side. I will PayPal anyone $20 if they show me a post he made telling someone with views similar to his to knock it off or complain about it.

I wish this site had a button that would give 10,000 'likes' with a single click.

CuriousGeorge
09-13-2019, 04:56 PM
I’m going to miss David

robkas68
09-13-2019, 04:57 PM
Let’s talk about baseball cards

judsonhamlin
09-13-2019, 04:58 PM
I may not post much on this forum, but I have known Barry for 25 years and he is the person who introduced me to VCBC (for which I wrote a few articles) and this forum. For those of you who don't know or have never met him, there is no way to fully appreciate his hobby knowledge and experience. I hope that he reconsiders but fully understand why he most likely will not.

Orioles1954
09-13-2019, 05:01 PM
Another "I'm mad as hell and leaving Net54" thread. I don't care how well known the person is in the hobby, it's just not a good look.

Fred
09-13-2019, 05:02 PM
What we need here is now leaving and what needs to leave is remaining. Sucks.

Rob M

Nicely said Rob. If Barry departs, then we'll be losing a lot of cool knowledge and someone that cannot be replaced on this board. This sucks.

CuriousGeorge
09-13-2019, 05:08 PM
He left you his email and says he will be happy to supply his knowledge privately.

Nicely said Rob. If Barry departs, then we'll be losing a lot of cool knowledge and someone that cannot be replaced on this board. This sucks.

Fred
09-13-2019, 05:23 PM
Steven,

Being able to read a random post on different topics and have people with good knowledge and insight provide comments is different than sending an email to someone to get general information about a specific subject. The randomness of the topics and comments made by board members with cool information make this a fun place to read. One less knowledgeable contributor doesn't provide anything positive to this board.

Leon
09-13-2019, 05:30 PM
edited

And I see a full name needed, please.

Rhotchkiss
09-13-2019, 05:42 PM
I’m going to miss David

I am thrilled he is gone.

Ryan Hotchkiss

CuriousGeorge
09-13-2019, 06:03 PM
8291 posts to make up for. Peter’s going to need to step it up!

RedsFan1941
09-13-2019, 06:16 PM
barry go across the street to LTS. i hear you will fit right in there and they are hurting for members.

pokerplyr80
09-13-2019, 06:18 PM
I admit I don't read every thread, but I didnt realize political comments were such a problem around here. I rarely see them.

Peter_Spaeth
09-13-2019, 06:18 PM
barry go across the street to LTS. i hear you will fit right in there and they are hurting for members.

Or go to a speakeasy.

Leon
09-13-2019, 06:28 PM
I just want world peace and to be able to get this last pickle slice out of the jar. It is wedged in....

edjs
09-13-2019, 06:32 PM
I just want world peace and to be able to get this last pickle slice out of the jar. It is wedged in....

Drain the juice first, then you can shake the jar upside down.:)

For the first, put the peas in the blender, use the “whirl” button. :)

Leon
09-13-2019, 06:38 PM
Drain the juice first, then you can shake the jar upside down.:)

For the first, put the peas in the blender, use the “whirl” button. :)

I ended up drinking the juice (I love to do that) and then tipping the jar over. Worked fine. Yum.

Barry is a very good hobby friend and I hope he comes back. He certainly has a lot of knowledge. I am sure we will keep in touch even if he doesn't post. He used to not post for a few years (*I think) and we still spoke.

edjs
09-13-2019, 06:42 PM
I ended up drinking the juice (I love to do that) and then tipping the jar over. Worked fine. Yum.

Barry is a very good hobby friend and I hope he comes back. He certainly has a lot of knowledge. I am sure we will keep in touch even if he doesn't post. He used to not post for a few years (*I think) and we still spoke.

They sell pickle-sickles from the pickle juice at Silver Dollar City in Branson. Can’t bring myself to try one.

Mark17
09-13-2019, 06:55 PM
I admit I don't read every thread, but I didnt realize political comments were such a problem around here. I rarely see them.

I didn't realize it was a problem either, I've found this site to be more politically free than the comments made on the internal web pages by employees at my recent employer (Wells Fargo,) and they had a no politics rule too.

I come here to think about baseball, cards, memorabilia (and my own happy childhood) and I appreciate the efforts made to keep this place politics free.

Having said that, in a free society, it is sometimes impossible to get away from the topic entirely, and I think people by necessity need to have thick enough skin to withstand the onslaught of being exposed to someone else expressing their opinion on that subject, now and then.

But to each his own. I have backed away from certain sites for awhile, and quit others entirely, when I no longer enjoyed them, for whatever reason. I do think all the bad news involving the card altering scandal has put a damper on things here.... (not saying it shouldn't have, just saying it did.)

brianp-beme
09-13-2019, 07:09 PM
Sounds like the posts were in the watercooler section, somewhere that I have never visited until today.

It is usually damp around watercoolers, and dampness typically attracts cockroaches. My best advice to everyone out there is to stop hanging around the watercooler, and get back to work (talking baseball cards).

Brian

Vintagecatcher
09-13-2019, 07:45 PM
Barry,

Hope you reconsider!

We need more positive and knowledgeable contributors like you!

You are a valuable member on this site!

Patrick

Shoeless Moe
09-13-2019, 08:02 PM

Yoda
09-13-2019, 08:38 PM
Say it ain't so, Barry.

btcarfagno
09-13-2019, 08:39 PM
If I were that ticked off by seeing posts regarding politics, the last place I would wander into would be a topic about 9/11.

But that's just me.

drcy
09-13-2019, 08:43 PM
Political posts are rare on Net54, and usually quickly stopped by Leon or the others.

Aquarian Sports Cards
09-13-2019, 08:51 PM

chase the pickle juice with whiskey. It's amazing.

irv
09-13-2019, 09:18 PM

Dumb asses and turned it hostile?? Wow, isn't that special and a little melodramatic as you're trying to come across all angelic like.

Sorry I got your panties in a twist. It wasn't my intent to upset and talk politics, like I said in the post, but one would think, no matter what political side they were on, what was said should outrage anyone with a heart and some compassion.

drcy
09-13-2019, 09:53 PM
There's talk about talk about politics in this thread.

I'm half offended.

Peter_Spaeth
09-13-2019, 10:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkkivgDXG1E

calvindog
09-13-2019, 10:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkkivgdxg1e

lolololol!

pokerplyr80
09-13-2019, 10:49 PM
Sounds like the posts were in the watercooler section, somewhere that I have never visited until today.

It is usually damp around watercoolers, and dampness typically attracts cockroaches. My best advice to everyone out there is to stop hanging around the watercooler, and get back to work (talking baseball cards).

Brian

Ironically the water cooler section is usually free of the drama and negativity found on the main page. The sports section is a fun place to talk about current sports news and big games.

brianp-beme
09-14-2019, 12:15 AM
Ironically the water cooler section is usually free of the drama and negativity found on the main page. The sports section is a fun place to talk about current sports news and big games.

Then maybe it is not a bad place. But I would still feel guilty being there and not earning my salary typing about baseball cards back at my work desk.

Brian

robertsmithnocure
09-14-2019, 01:18 AM
Why do people want to announce that they are leaving? Isn’t it really easy just to delete your account or just never long on and/or visit this site again?

drcy
09-14-2019, 02:11 AM
I'm staying!

2dueces
09-14-2019, 05:26 AM
Barry sold me my first batch of T206’s many moons ago. One by one the old timers exit the Net. It’s a darn shame.

D.P.Johnson
09-14-2019, 05:35 AM
I'm leaving the board too.
Gonna go heat up some leftover pizza.
See you back here in a few minutes...

edhans
09-14-2019, 06:00 AM
The forum will be a poorer place without Barry.

basesareempty
09-14-2019, 07:17 AM
chase the pickle juice with whiskey. It's amazing.

Pickle shots are big around these parts!

KMayUSA6060
09-14-2019, 09:33 AM
Pickle shots are big around these parts!

I lost my pickle shot v-card a couple weekends ago. I wish I still had the card instead of tasting that crap...

drcy
09-14-2019, 10:13 AM
Of course Barry is welcome back if he chooses to return. A valuable member.

CobbSpikedMe
09-14-2019, 10:23 AM
As much as I like Barry and hope he reconsiders leaving, I didn't see anything in that watercooler post that was so egregious that it would make me want to leave the boards forever. Perhaps the comment didn't hit home with me like it did with Barry, but it's just a comment on a message board and I can walk away from it and cool off. I hope he does the same and after he cools off he decides to come back to the board. No harm no foul Barry, you're welcome back any time.

MikeGarcia
09-14-2019, 11:01 AM
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/2042957/view/1920KLEINBURKE_NEW.JPG

...I'm staying despite the dramas and sideshows , etc. , only because every once in a while someone posts a scan of a card or postcard or photo or bit of memorabilia of my favorite era old baseball players. I'll start today with these. The Burke postcard Chuck Klein was a short print made only because he was the National League MVP ; the original owner told me it was sold at the All Star Game ; ..And Joe was added to the 1937-39 Orcajo Cincinnati Reds postcard set in time for the '39 World Series. ; brilliant timing and marketing. I believe the Reds lost. Badly.

RedsFan1941
09-14-2019, 11:18 AM
don’t let the terrorists win barry.

wazoo
09-14-2019, 11:23 AM
As much as I like Barry and hope he reconsiders leaving, I didn't see anything in that watercooler post that was so egregious that it would make me want to leave the boards forever. Perhaps the comment didn't hit home with me like it did with Barry, but it's just a comment on a message board and I can walk away from it and cool off. I hope he does the same and after he cools off he decides to come back to the board. No harm no foul Barry, you're welcome back any time.

+1

drcy
09-14-2019, 11:28 AM

There are a couple of who I consider dumbasses at Net54, especially when it comes to certain subjects. But I just roll my eyes, and close the thread if need be, and they don't cause any harm to me. They likely give insight and good contributions on other topics in other threads and may perfectly upstanding citizens and nice guys away from the keyboard.

As with most, I don't need to hear anyone's political opinions or conspiracy theories at a baseball card site-- though saying you bought Obama's or Reagan's autograph because you think he was a great and your favorite President is fine by me.

Mark17
09-14-2019, 12:05 PM
+1
+2

I'm not even sure what Barry was most upset about: What the politician said, or having a couple forum members remind us of what she said. In any case, I think it was an over-reaction, but whatever, it's his decision.

biggsdaddycool
09-14-2019, 12:05 PM
I’ve grown weary myself of both sides of politics. There is so much outrage and finger pointing in both sides that it has become exhausting.

I don’t often post on here, but I read knowledgeable posts about cards constantly (and to occasionally buy something cool).

Cards, and the like, are my escape from real world BS. On Net54, as well as on my Twitter, I avoid anything political at all costs.

If I see anything that has certain topics, I just block it or walk away. I think we all need to do that a little more and enjoy and appreciate our fellowship & knowledge.

We have a brotherhood here, and for good or for bad, we are all in this together. All of this divisiveness is unnecessary.

Like the one fella said earlier, can’t we just talk about cards. I’ll add, rather than about each other?

I love this board, but I’ll avoid the areas and posts that aren’t about cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fred
09-14-2019, 12:30 PM

I don't think it was "that" post in particular, it's a culmination of crud, it was like the straw that broke the camel's back.

I just hope that if/when he comes back, nobody gives him a rash of shit because he came back. I rarely go into shit for brains mode, but I will if that occurs.

Exhibitman
09-14-2019, 12:45 PM

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/dropins/websize/well_bye_2.jpg

egri
09-14-2019, 01:12 PM
I think it's ironic that Barry's thread has drawn more attention to the 9/11 thread than it would've received if he had said nothing and left the forum quietly instead. I didn't see anything in the 9/11 thread that irked me to the point of leaving the forum, but maybe we just have different thresholds. When I see a member continually bring up politics on here, I put them on my ignore list and leave it at that (and to Cliff's point in post #11, I do it regardless of whether or not I agree with the member's politics; if I wanted to talk politics, there are a couple dozen places I would come before here. I appreciate that Leon runs this board the way he does).

mrmopar
09-14-2019, 01:50 PM
I found this mildly funny. If idiots are everywhere, then there are certainly going to be some here anyway, right?

There are idiots everywhere, I don't need to come here to find them.

steve B
09-14-2019, 02:32 PM
I don't know Barry personally, but his being here was something that made me think this list was pretty good, since I knew of him from so many ads years ago.
It's sad that he's leaving.

There are some in this thread that should be glad Leon is in charge of the ban hammer and not me....

ALBB
09-14-2019, 03:00 PM
Come on..Stay !

oldjudge
09-14-2019, 03:52 PM
I’ll miss Barry, but I don’t think David’s post was out of line, certainly not deserving a suspension.

Leon
09-14-2019, 05:42 PM
I’ll miss Barry, but I don’t think David’s post was out of line, certainly not deserving a suspension.

He already had 2 infractions; you can see if you click on his profile... Then he made that post (3rd time) and got booted. Just how many times am I supposed to babysit and reprimand a member? (which is done seldom in the first place)

icurnmedic
09-14-2019, 05:48 PM
I like Ty Cobb! And of course Wagner.

jhs5120
09-14-2019, 06:04 PM
+2

I'm not even sure what Barry was most upset about: What the politician said, or having a couple forum members remind us of what she said. In any case, I think it was an over-reaction, but whatever, it's his decision.

People who politicize 9/11 on 9/11 need to reassess their priorities. IMO.

clydepepper
09-14-2019, 06:11 PM
People who politicize 9/11 on 9/11 need to reassess their priorities. IMO.

+1 -or, if you prefer, IMO2

rdwyer
09-14-2019, 06:39 PM
I once posted a political comment here and got a infraction. Didn't know I couldn't post political comments at the time. But rules are rules, follow the rules here or get booted. That simple.

pokerplyr80
09-14-2019, 06:55 PM
Whether or not David's comment was political is debatable. But it certainly was in poor taste given the somber tone of the post and the significance of 9/11. Especially since the member who made the post was there that day.

bnorth
09-14-2019, 06:57 PM
I don't know Barry personally, but his being here was something that made me think this list was pretty good, since I knew of him from so many ads years ago.
It's sad that he's leaving.

There are some in this thread that should be glad Leon is in charge of the ban hammer and not me....

I try to contribute as much as I can.:);)

bobbyw8469
09-14-2019, 07:12 PM
Whether or not David's comment was political is debatable. But it certainly was in poor taste given the somber tone of the post and the significance of 9/11. Especially since the member who made the post was there that day.

But what should he be irked at?? What Ilhan Omar said or the fact the David reminded him of what she said?? Like I said, thousands of people lost their lives that day. What she said diminished the lives of the people that lost their lives that day. It was uncalled for.

timn1
09-14-2019, 07:20 PM
It’s a cumulative effect....

He already had 2 infractions; you can see if you click on his profile... Then he made that post (3rd time) and got booted. Just how many times am I supposed to babysit and reprimand a member? (which is done seldom in the first place)

pokerplyr80
09-14-2019, 07:26 PM
But what should he be irked at?? What Ilhan Omar said or the fact the David reminded him of what she said?? Like I said, thousands of people lost their lives that day. What she said diminished the lives of the people that lost their lives that day. It was uncalled for.

I don't disagree with anything you, David, or Irv said. I just don't feel this site is the right place for that discussion. And it did not belong on a thread about a member sharing what he witnessed on 9/11.

I'm also assuming there is more going on with Barry than this one comment. Otherwise it would be quite an over reaction.

jhs5120
09-14-2019, 08:06 PM

People should stop using the victims of 9/11 for their political purposes Bobby - especially on this forum. This isn't hard.

chriskim
09-14-2019, 08:18 PM
Pls come back Barry!

Exhibitman
09-14-2019, 09:11 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/dropins/websize/blazing-saddles-morons.jpg

You've got to remember, these are just simple collectors. The common clay of the hobby. You know...morons.

pclpads
09-14-2019, 09:53 PM
Oh, Christ, that's funny.

LEHR
09-14-2019, 10:34 PM
I’m always baffled by the dramatic exits.
If you don’t want to be part of something just delete your account and move along. Stating your reasons for leaving and putting on a production does nothing positive for anyone. It’s just baseball cards.

LEHR
09-14-2019, 10:38 PM

How dare you mention the chosen ones.:eek::;):D

calvindog
09-15-2019, 05:31 AM
How dare you mention the chosen ones.:eek::;):D

The chosen ones sure talk a lot. I thought there was a cone of silence or something.

wondo
09-15-2019, 05:39 AM
The chosen ones sure talk a lot. I thought there was a cone of silence or something.

Another group I've been thrown out of....................

bobbyw8469
09-15-2019, 05:43 AM

Must not be too great a group. I have never heard of them. What are they? Troublemakers that have been kicked off various forums?

ALBB
09-15-2019, 05:48 AM
where is this 9 11 post that was upsetting ?

bobbyw8469
09-15-2019, 05:58 AM
where is this 9 11 post that was upsetting ?

In the watercooler section.

edjs
09-15-2019, 06:52 AM
Must not be too great a group. I have never heard of them. What are they? Troublemakers that have been kicked off various forums?

Worse. They are the Louisville Thoroughbred Society. Craven, maniacal horse racing enthusiasts. Don’t tell anyone I told you!

Peter_Spaeth
09-15-2019, 06:54 AM

There's a new offshoot, maybe they'll take you in?

wondo
09-15-2019, 07:39 AM

Hahaha hahaha. You funny man! 🤣

Peter_Spaeth
09-15-2019, 07:45 AM
Hahaha hahaha. You funny man! ��

Bridge burned, eh?:)

wondo
09-15-2019, 07:56 AM

Bridge burned, eh?:)

Not at all. I just am happy with the star on my belly.

Bram99
09-15-2019, 09:16 AM
Oh, Christ, that's funny.

And now the discussion has turned from politics to religion. Time to shut down this thread

KMayUSA6060
09-15-2019, 12:02 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/dropins/websize/blazing-saddles-morons.jpg

You've got to remember, these are just simple collectors. The common clay of the hobby. You know...morons.

This is gold.

Republicaninmass
09-15-2019, 12:05 PM
This is gold.

Welcome to the T-(206)party

topcat61
09-16-2019, 07:23 AM
What I really enjoy about Net54 is the education from the hobby, the cards, players and stories from fellow collectors. It should be a great escape from things like politics or a job. So this is too bad.

1952boyntoncollector
09-16-2019, 10:08 AM
he had 8200 posts....i am at 4000 or so..so now he is no longer active i can move my way up the hit list...since he is not active

cammb
09-16-2019, 10:14 AM
+2

+3

tonyo
09-16-2019, 12:59 PM
I'm leaving the board too.
Gonna go heat up some leftover pizza.
See you back here in a few minutes...

this one got an LOL out of me :)

edited to add, I'll miss Barry's posts..... always took notice and seems they were well written and insightful. I hope he decides to stay

jerrys
09-16-2019, 02:54 PM
Barry was a teacher also and knows a most important quality of a teacher is patience. That will work here - put into words what a person is doing that is against the condition that govern acceptable behavior. Stepping aside does not teach the one in need of guidance to better conduct.

triwak
09-16-2019, 03:46 PM
Well, this just plain sucks. Mr. Sloate's knowledge and insight was of great help to me, when I began my journey into prewar card collecting. I'll miss that.

wolf441
09-16-2019, 04:20 PM
Well, this just plain sucks. Mr. Sloate's knowledge and insight was of great help to me, when I began my journey into prewar card collecting. I'll miss that.

+1, one less member that always had something positive to contribute to our collecting community. I really hope you consider, Barry. I feel like there are a lot of us that seldom post, but love the positive contributions that you make to the board.

I've learned more from people like you, Ted Z, Pat R, Erik S, Luke L, etc. and will always be appreciative of the insight provided.

ullmandds
09-16-2019, 05:36 PM
barry is/was a gentleman and a scholar...2 attributes seriously lacking from this hobby these days.

Cmount76
09-16-2019, 05:41 PM
barry is/was a gentleman and a scholar...2 attributes seriously lacking from this hobby these days.

+1

Section103
09-16-2019, 07:44 PM
I didnt see it mentioned before, but this board has a GREAT function which allows you to ignore other members as you see fit. Of course, if someone else quotes that member, you'll still see it; but it's still pretty effective and very satisfying. I think I only have like 2 members on ignore....and wouldn't you know....well, no regrets on my side.

Rhotchkiss
09-16-2019, 08:02 PM
I didnt see it mentioned before, but this board has a GREAT function which allows you to ignore other members as you see fit.

Is this serious? If so, I would so appreciate your sharing how to do that. There is now one less (former) member I would like to ignore, but it is a GREAT function that I would like to put to use. Thanks in advance

Peter_Spaeth
09-16-2019, 08:09 PM
Is this serious? If so, I would so appreciate your sharing how to do that. There is now one less (former) member I would like to ignore, but it is a GREAT function that I would like to put to use. Thanks in advance

User CP
Edit ignore list

bnorth
09-16-2019, 08:12 PM

There is the line on every page with the logout link. Click on User CP on the left side of the page in that same blue line.

Then scroll down the left side till you see the Edit Ignore list. Then click on it and add whoevers posts you never want to see again.

Jim65
Or click their user name profile, click user lists, click add to ignore list.

Leon
You can ignore everyone except the 3 moderators, (including me) :)

Rhotchkiss
09-16-2019, 08:15 PM
Awesome guys, thanks! I appreciate that. And Leon, I wasn’t going to try to ignore your posts - after all, you post cards and that’s what it’s all about!

egri
09-16-2019, 08:29 PM
User CP
Edit ignore list

Alternatively, click on the user’s name, View Public Profile, User Lists, Add to Ignore List.

KMayUSA6060
09-16-2019, 10:54 PM

I was wondering why it wasn't letting me ignore you. Damn...

frankbmd
09-16-2019, 10:58 PM
I didnt see it mentioned before, but this board has a GREAT function which allows you to ignore other members as you see fit. Of course, if someone else quotes that member, you'll still see it; but it's still pretty effective and very satisfying. I think I only have like 2 members on ignore....and wouldn't you know....well, no regrets on my side.

User CP
Edit ignore list

There is the line on every page with the logout link. Click on User CP on the left side of the page in that same blue line.

Then scroll down the left side till you see the Edit Ignore list. Then click on it and add whoevers posts you never want to see again.

Or click their user name profile, click user lists, click add to ignore list.

Awesome guys, thanks! I appreciate that. And Leon, I wasn’t going to try to ignore your posts - after all, you post cards and that’s what it’s all about!

Alternatively, click on the user’s name, View Public Profile, User Lists, Add to Ignore List.

A post designed to be ignored.

tothrk
09-16-2019, 11:18 PM
My wife ignores me and she didn’t have to go through any of that. It’s a natural gift.

seanofjapan
09-16-2019, 11:55 PM

Don't you sort of answer your own question here though? If a phrase uttered by a politician is so inflammatory that its mere mention elicits such a strong reaction in people, as this one obviously does, then surely it would be better for the forum if people weren't posting it?

No politics here for me, thanks.

KMayUSA6060
09-17-2019, 06:55 AM
Don't you sort of answer your own question here though? If a phrase uttered by a politician is so inflammatory that its mere mention elicits such a strong reaction in people, as this one obviously does, then surely it would be better for the forum if people weren't posting it?

No politics here for me, thanks.

Any comment in any section/thread of this forum could be "inflammatory" to the right person.

I agree with a previous poster that if politics is a known trigger to someone, why would they choose to read a thread about 9/11, regardless of how well-written the first post in the thread was?

Leon
09-17-2019, 07:14 AM
For the record David's banishment is a suspension only. He will be allowed back in the not distant future. I am not so sure his comments were meant to be political. (actually, I don't think they were, now, looking back on them.)

jchcollins
09-17-2019, 08:50 AM
It's not what happens to you, it's how you take it. Idiots in this life have been around for a while, it's not like they suddenly appeared only with the advent of online baseball card forums. Sounds to me like whoever left would have been better served by having a drink and ignoring whatever offense he could not get by. This is a fabulous place to talk about cards, and the benefits here far outweigh the frustrations, IMO.

nolemmings
09-17-2019, 09:34 AM
For the record David's banishment is a suspension only. He will be allowed back in the not distant future. I am not so sure his comments were meant to be political. (actually, I don't think they were, now, looking back on them.)

Sorry, I disagree. But best wishes to Mr. Sloate, whatever he decides.

Rhotchkiss
09-17-2019, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the heads up. David will be #1 on my ignored user list.

Ryan Hotchkiss

Jeff_cvc
09-17-2019, 01:39 PM
It's not what happens to you, it's how you take it. Idiots in this life have been around for a while, it's not like they suddenly appeared only with the advent of online baseball card forums. Sounds to me like whoever left would have been better served by having a drink and ignoring whatever offense he could not get by. This is a fabulous place to talk about cards, and the benefits here far outweigh the frustrations, IMO.

I understand how important Barry is and has been to many collectors. I’ve read so much of what he’s had to share since joining Net54 about five years ago. Losing his knowledge and dedication to the forum is heart breaking. With all that said, I agree with this post.

h2oya311
09-17-2019, 01:47 PM
A post designed to be ignored.

Thanks Frank! I had ignored all the users you listed so I didn't see the collective responses on how to ignore someone. Ignorance is bliss!

Peter_Spaeth
09-17-2019, 02:01 PM
Thanks Frank! I had ignored all the users you listed so I didn't see the collective responses on how to ignore someone. Ignorance is bliss!

You'd be much better off ignoring Frank.:cool:

frankbmd
09-17-2019, 02:18 PM
You'd be much better off ignoring Frank.:cool:

Some folks have since Eddie Gaedel walked.:D

Aquarian Sports Cards
09-17-2019, 02:30 PM
Some folks have since Eddie Gaedel walked.:D

First Barry Sloate and now Eddie Gaedel? Who's the next guy to walk???

CobbSpikedMe
09-17-2019, 03:00 PM
Eddie was a little annoying. :rolleyes:

Den*nis O*Brien
09-17-2019, 04:24 PM

....with everything ullmandds said. Barry was great to deal with in the old days when his set sale and auction catalogs arrived in the mail box. His knowledge is very broad and he shares it freely. I hope Barry will reconsider his leaving Net54. If your reading this Barry...you will be missed in my opinion.

clydepepper
09-17-2019, 05:51 PM
eddie was a little annoying. :rolleyes:

ignore this one, please

clydepepper
09-17-2019, 05:53 PM
I strongly agree with the last two posts!

clydepepper
09-17-2019, 06:03 PM
Maybe we can all find a way to share our opinions and still get along?

CobbSpikedMe
09-17-2019, 06:12 PM
ignore this one, please

Wait, why ignore me? What did I do? :confused:

JackW
09-17-2019, 06:26 PM
Please don't leave the board. :)

CMIZ5290
09-17-2019, 06:37 PM

Agree Pete, Barry's solid...

1952boyntoncollector
09-17-2019, 07:04 PM
Why do people want to announce that they are leaving? Isn’t it really easy just to delete your account or just never long on and/or visit this site again?

right...we get the 'i am leaving the hobby' posts or 'leaving net 54'

bobby always says hes about to leave the hobby so not sure if thats a category..

bnorth
09-17-2019, 07:07 PM
right...we get the 'i am leaving the hobby' posts or 'leaving net 54'

bobby always says hes about to leave the hobby so not sure if thats a category..

That's because he is always giving away his PSA graded cards.:D

It does suck to lose a good member and then get a bad one back.:(

buchner
09-17-2019, 07:13 PM
....with everything ullmandds said. Barry was great to deal with in the old days when his set sale and auction catalogs arrived in the mail box. His knowledge is very broad and he shares it freely. I hope Barry will reconsider his leaving Net54. If your reading this Barry...you will be missed in my opinion.+1

Bpm0014
09-18-2019, 06:30 AM
Eddie was a little annoying.

HAHAHAHAHA!!

MikeGarcia
09-18-2019, 10:23 AM
Eddie was a little annoying.

HAHAHAHAHA!!

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/2042957/view/000001_NEW.JPG

RedsFan1941
09-18-2019, 11:05 AM
it’s encouraging that barry is reading the board on a daily basis. hopefully that means he will change his mind and come back.

1952boyntoncollector
09-18-2019, 03:34 PM
it’s encouraging that barry is reading the board on a daily basis. hopefully that means he will change his mind and come back.

well if he doesnt i am one more post closer to catching him on the all time list..

ullmandds
09-18-2019, 03:40 PM
well if he doesnt i am one more post closer to catching him on the all time list..

Seems to be pretty important to you Jake?

seanofjapan
09-18-2019, 07:21 PM
Any comment in any section/thread of this forum could be "inflammatory" to the right person.

I agree with a previous poster that if politics is a known trigger to someone, why would they choose to read a thread about 9/11, regardless of how well-written the first post in the thread was?

Er...is there anyone out there these days for whom politics is not a known trigger?

I totally agree that leaving the forum is an over-reaction, but I also think posts about an inflammatory political comment like that should be avoided like the plague on a forum like this.

biggsdaddycool
09-18-2019, 07:28 PM
Er...is there anyone out there these days for whom politics is not a known trigger?

I totally agree that leaving the forum is an over-reaction, but I also think posts about an inflammatory political comment like that should be avoided like the plague on a forum like this.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KMayUSA6060
09-19-2019, 07:49 AM

Regardless of if there is or isn't, would it not be smart to avoid a 9/11 thread knowing your panties could get in a twist?

I agree with Leon that the comment that started this isn't political, and directly pertained to the topic of 9/11 itself. If an individual views 9/11 as political, and is triggered by politics to the point of potentially leaving a sports card forum, is it not on them to avoid that thread and not click on it? We have a massive societal crisis with a lack of accountability, especially self-accountability. It's on David not to post anything political - which it has since been deemed he didn't - and it's on Barry not to dive into the thread knowing it's a potential trigger.

To me, that's what all of this boils down to. We all loves this hobby and discussing this hobby. 99% of the forum is about this hobby. There are 2 sections that are a bit more OT, and if your focus is strictly hobby-related discussions, it's probably best to avoid the 1% of this forum that is OT.

bobbyw8469
09-19-2019, 07:53 AM
To me, that's what all of this boils down to. We all loves this hobby and discussing this hobby. 99% of the forum is about this hobby. There are 2 sections that are a bit more OT, and if your focus is strictly hobby-related discussions, it's probably best to avoid the 1% of this forum that is OT.

This!!! The post wasn't even in the main forum. It was in the water cooler section where off the wall topics are spoken. I am conservative. There are no bones about it. If I choose to wear a red Make American Great again hat, and that triggers you, then that is on you!! I didn't like Obama's policies. But I would not ever vandalize a car because it had a "Hope and Change" bumper sticker on it. I am not so sure the left can make the same statement.

trdcrdkid
09-19-2019, 08:15 AM
This!!! The post wasn't even in the main forum. It was in the water cooler section where off the wall topics are spoken. I am conservative. There are no bones about it. If I choose to wear a red Make American Great again hat, and that triggers you, then that is on you!! I didn't like Obama's policies. But I would not ever vandalize a car because it had a "Hope and Change" bumper sticker on it. I am not so sure the left can make the same statement.

Come on. Can we PLEASE leave this kind of stuff out of the main forum???

Leon
09-19-2019, 08:17 AM
+1

Bobby- please don't make any more statements like that. IF you can't see it has political overtones all over it then you are blind. Let this be an informal warning. Let's get back to cards.

RedsFan1941
09-19-2019, 08:51 AM

+1

bobbyw8469
09-19-2019, 08:53 AM
+1

From the guy who tried to ask me if PSA graded airline tickets.....smdh.

bobbyw8469
09-19-2019, 08:57 AM
You haven needled me and tried to get under my skin for years. Now you throw up a no drama pic. That is rich right there.

brianp-beme
09-19-2019, 08:58 AM
Let's make this as political as the forum gets...

Brian (not mine...owning them would be too political for me)

autograf
09-19-2019, 10:02 AM
I came to this discussion late. And, although I'm sure Barry and I come from different places politically, we don't discuss those places. Barry is an IMMENSELY nice person and he and his wife met me and my family at the Met in NYC on the day I viewed the Burdick collection on spring break this year and they walked around with us for an hour or so before I did that. They were very gracious hosts. I've known Barry for 25+ years and bought some nice items from him over the years. I hate to see him leave the site because of a Watercooler post. It's tough to divorce ourselves from politics lately. It's pervasive (and maybe perverse too) in all aspects of many of our lives. I immerse myself in them....hopefully in the right spots though.....and try to seek out ALL viewpoints....regardless of how crazy....just to test my own thoughts which tend to sway from time to time. So....while I didn't see anything particularly wrong with David's post, I could see why Barry might. That's why the rule for N54 is to stay away from politics. I don't spend as much time here as I used to and try to disregard anything I think is off kilter in a balance to the good that's done on this and other sites. Just my opinion......

AustinMike
09-19-2019, 10:08 AM
I've been on vacation the last week plus and haven't had a chance to respond to this thread and there are several points I think should be made.

Tell you what Cliff, I will PayPal you $100 if you show me a thread where the first political post was made by someone with views similar to Barry's, Barry actually read the thread, and Barry didn't tell him to knock it off or complain about it.

I have seen very few political posts on this forum (but I don't read very many of the threads). But it seems like the ones I have seen are almost always started by someone with a particular slant similar to the one that set Barry off. And Cliff, why don't you show me a post you made telling someone with views similar to yours to knock it off or complain about it.

If I were that ticked off by seeing posts regarding politics, the last place I would wander into would be a topic about 9/11.

But that's just me.

What??!! A thread about 9/11 is automatically political? Since when? Only deplorable people try to make 9/11 political. Hmm, I guess your last sentence says it all, huh?

Wow!! Another one. Okay, I have to ask. What about 9/11 is political? What?

This forum has rules. One of those rules is no politics. Why should rule breakers simply be ignored? I think the prudent thing would be to report them and see how the moderators handle it.

Regardless of if there is or isn't, would it not be smart to avoid a 9/11 thread knowing your panties could get in a twist?

I agree with Leon that the comment that started this isn't political, and directly pertained to the topic of 9/11 itself. If an individual views 9/11 as political, and is triggered by politics to the point of potentially leaving a sports card forum, is it not on them to avoid that thread and not click on it? We have a massive societal crisis with a lack of accountability, especially self-accountability. It's on David not to post anything political - which it has since been deemed he didn't - and it's on Barry not to dive into the thread knowing it's a potential trigger.

I really do hope you respond to my previous question. I really want to know why you think 9/11 is so political.

I strongly disagree with you and Leon. David's post was political. It was about one political party trying to score points with their base about something said by someone in the other political party.

Bobby, if you look on the main page where the water cooler section is listed, you will see this, "Please no politics or religion." What is there about that statement that you are not able to understand?

drcy
09-19-2019, 10:29 AM
First, David's post was obviously and overtly and intentionally political. (Beyond geopolitics that exist in any historical event), 9/11 isn't inherently political, but many make it political and Net54 doesn't allow for that . . . But, ordinarily and reasonably, one is forgiven for one Net54 faux pas-- though Leon is in charge of that.

Two, we can end this dumb threat. No more politics, I and most members don't care what is anyone's politics, and Barry is welcome when he wishes to return.

mouschi
09-19-2019, 10:39 AM
I can certainly understand the frustration of being on a forum and having people rub you the wrong way. I don't even consider Net54 being rowdiest, either! When we go to forums for baseball cards, we want to relax and enjoy our down time. ... not get riled up. HOWEVER ... that is the nature of the internet.

One thing I would suggest if I may, is to create a "block" feature ... not "ignore" but "block". What I mean by this, is if you don't like a user or what they have to say, it would be great to have the ability to block them so they see absolutely nothing you post or say, and vice versa. I'd love this for all forums - facebook has it, and it is wonderful.

mark evans
09-19-2019, 10:43 AM
First, David's post was obviously and overtly and intentionally political. (Beyond geopolitics that exist in any historical event), 9/11 isn't inherently political, but many make it political and Net54 doesn't allow for that . . . But, ordinarily and reasonably, one is forgiven for one Net54 faux pas-- though Leon is in charge of that.

Two, we can end this dumb threat. No more politics, I and most members don't care what is anyone's politics, and Barry is welcome when he wishes to return.

I agree.

drcy
09-19-2019, 10:45 AM
Did someone just post? I downloaded the app and it gives a beep when someone I've blocked posts.

Oh, here we go. It says it was that Tanner bastard. Probably another of his Albanian Mafia deep state UFO water fluoride theories.

mouschi
09-19-2019, 10:50 AM
Did someone just post? I downloaded the app and it gives a beep when someone I've blocked posts.

Oh, here we go. It's that Tanner bastard. Probably another of his Albanian Mafia deep state UFO water fluoridation theories.

:p:p:p

Not that you'll see this post, but for everyone else reading ... he knows me so well!

frankbmd
09-19-2019, 10:57 AM
New prescient Yogi quote uncovered

"My news is your fake news and vice versa.":eek:

drcy
09-19-2019, 11:05 AM
For the record, Tanner (Mouschi) and I have different political and religious beliefs, but he's one of the funniest people I know. And I don't think either of us has a problem that we have different religious or political beliefs.

In my daily life, I have no problem with, and in fact enjoy and find it invigorating, being around and discussing people with different beliefs and perspectives. I loathe echo chambers, and, yes, you can learn things and broaden your perspective and knowledge listening to people with different beliefs. However, I will happily live without dingbats, idiots and trolls who exist on both sides. Both sides of the political aisle have intelligent, learned, well-reasoned and well-spoken people and both sides to a political or social issue can have good and reasonable arguments, and both sides have idiots.

But this is a forum for no-political talk, and I appreciate that. One can get his desired fill of politics in many other places.

KMayUSA6060
09-19-2019, 11:11 AM
I've been on vacation the last week plus and haven't had a chance to respond to this thread and there are several points I think should be made.

Tell you what Cliff, I will PayPal you $100 if you show me a thread where the first political post was made by someone with views similar to Barry's, Barry actually read the thread, and Barry didn't tell him to knock it off or complain about it.

I have seen very few political posts on this forum (but I don't read very many of the threads). But it seems like the ones I have seen are almost always started by someone with a particular slant similar to the one that set Barry off. And Cliff, why don't you show me a post you made telling someone with views similar to yours to knock it off or complain about it.

What??!! A thread about 9/11 is automatically political? Since when? Only deplorable people try to make 9/11 political. Hmm, I guess your last sentence says it all, huh?

Wow!! Another one. Okay, I have to ask. What about 9/11 is political? What?

This forum has rules. One of those rules is no politics. Why should rule breakers simply be ignored? I think the prudent thing would be to report them and see how the moderators handle it.

I really do hope you respond to my previous question. I really want to know why you think 9/11 is so political.

I strongly disagree with you and Leon. David's post was political. It was about one political party trying to score points with their base about something said by someone in the other political party.

Bobby, if you look on the main page where the water cooler section is listed, you will see this, "Please no politics or religion." What is there about that statement that you are not able to understand?

Pot calling the kettle black with that last question, considering this entire post by you fans the flames of exactly what you're saying should be kept off the forum. And no, I'm not going to answer anything you just asked.

Now, here's a card that the power & vastness of this forum miraculously gave me a second chance on. I hope this forum lives on forever - such a great network.

Peter_Spaeth
09-19-2019, 11:37 AM
Let's get back to cards.