PDA

View Full Version : Are W573s thin and slick?

timber63401
09-11-2019, 02:18 PM
Just got one in the mail today and doesnt feel "right" but Ive never had one in hand before. Seems really flimsy and slick. Thanks.

Aquarian Sports Cards
09-11-2019, 02:53 PM
Looks fine to me, they are definitely on a lighter stock, can't remember if they had a gloss applied or not.

drcy
09-11-2019, 10:43 PM
Don't know about this issue, but many of the period photoengravings (which this is) had slick/glossy fronts.

NiceDocter
09-11-2019, 10:54 PM
I bought some uncut strips about 30 years ago and they are somewhat slick with very thin stock. Not what youd think of as a "card" but thicker than paper, maybe kind of like a slick filing card. Take this for what its worth......

brianp-beme
09-12-2019, 12:20 AM
Yes...this card is one I sold. It is an authentic card. W573's are commonly found in a very thin paper, and nicer shape ones seem to still have the gloss. I have plenty that are not glossy, but these are also ones that have been roughed up some. W573's can also be found in a much thicker card stock (about 3X to 4X), and these thicker ones I have seen seem to have much fuller borders and thus larger card size. The thicker ones are much less frequently seen.

Brian

timber63401
09-12-2019, 12:45 AM
Yes...this card is one I sold. It is an authentic card. W573's are commonly found in a very thin paper, and nicer shape ones seem to still have the gloss. I have plenty that are not glossy, but these are also ones that have been roughed up some. W573's can also be found in a much thicker card stock (about 3X to 4X), and these thicker ones I have seen seem to have much fuller borders and thus larger card size. The thicker ones are much less frequently seen.

Brian

Thanks. Wasnt trying to say someone was selling a reprint on purpose im just pretty ignorant on most prewar issues. Trying to start all over on my st Louis type collection. Thanks again!