PDA

View Full Version : Restoration gone bad!!! 1933 Sport Kings Jim Thrope!

bobbyw8469
09-04-2019, 09:16 PM
This guy cracked out a 1933 Sport Kings JIM THORPE card!! Then apparently "erased" the yellow in an attempt to get a wrinkle out. Now he can't get it back in the holder. Sometimes you should just leave well enough alone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Sport-Kings-Thorpe-6/273992545231?hash=item3fcb3a73cf:g:DSgAAOSwI2NdUsW P

samosa4u
09-04-2019, 09:55 PM
By posting the before and after pictures of this card, it just goes to show you this individual has NO BRAIN!

pclpads
09-05-2019, 01:36 AM
And only $250 for a doctored card?? Quick. Gimme a dozen. :D

bobbyw8469
09-05-2019, 05:08 AM
By posting the before and after pictures of this card, it just goes to show you this individual has NO BRAIN!

Well....he wanted to prove that it was an SGC 4. But the eraser mark he is showing DOES NOT appear to be in the SGC holdered one.

Jay Wolt
09-05-2019, 05:45 AM
The "before" card in the SGC slab looks fine
why the need to crack & erase?

chalupacollects
09-05-2019, 06:12 AM

One word... Greed...

bobbyw8469
09-05-2019, 06:20 AM
One word... Greed...

Bingo.

KMayUSA6060
09-05-2019, 06:42 AM
One word... Greed...

A second word - dumbassery.

Yastrzemski Sports
09-05-2019, 06:58 AM
That card sold back in June for $1250. That’s one way to lose $1k.

bbcard1
09-05-2019, 07:15 AM
Restoration can be a terrible mistake. I had a tooth that had turned gray from a root canal. My dentist said, "Just get it whitened. What could go wrong?"

Aquarian Sports Cards
09-05-2019, 08:25 AM
Root Canals are the biggest scam in dentistry. Often the problem can be cleared up with antibiotics, and even a successful root canal isn't a permanent solution and often needs to be repeated later. It would be cheaper to get an implant the first time and be done with it. Your dentist killed the tooth and the recommended you get it whitened, that's insanity. The tooth is dead, not dirty.

ullmandds
09-05-2019, 08:32 AM
Root Canals are the biggest scam in dentistry. Often the problem can be cleared up with antibiotics, and even a successful root canal isn't a permanent solution and often needs to be repeated later. It would be cheaper to get an implant the first time and be done with it. Your dentist killed the tooth and the recommended you get it whitened, that's insanity. The tooth is dead, not dirty.

SERIOUSLY????? You've been watching too many netflix "documentaries!"

While I agree with some points you made...Teeth with irreversible pulpitis/necrosis cannot be healed with antibiotics.

docpatlv
09-05-2019, 09:03 AM

Scam?? Not even really worth a response... Educate yourself before making statements like this.

Peter_Spaeth
09-05-2019, 09:05 AM
I always knew Ullman was a scam artist. No doubt funding his collection from kickbacks from endodontists.

ullmandds
09-05-2019, 09:13 AM
I always knew Ullman was a scam artist. No doubt funding his collection from kickbacks from endodontists.

you got me!

scooter729
09-05-2019, 09:32 AM
Sounds like a statement by an anti-Dentite!

(Seinfeld references still the way to go around here??)

Aquarian Sports Cards
09-05-2019, 09:55 AM
SERIOUSLY????? You've been watching too many netflix "documentaries!"

While I agree with some points you made...Teeth with irreversible pulpitis/necrosis cannot be healed with antibiotics.

Not from documentaries, not a conspiracy theorist, Talking from personal experience. Lots of root canals are performed unnecessarily for infections. My wife was in pain and our benefits didn't kick in for another 2 weeks. The dentist scheduled a root canal for 2 weeks later and gave her a prescription for antibiotics in the meantime. Lo and behold 2 years later she still hasn't had the root canal. That seems unnecessary to me. Then I read up on it, (reliable sources, not conspiracy wonks) and lots of dentists do root canals at the drop of a hat because it pays well AND virtually insures a return visit. There are situations like the one you described where a root canal is a valid treatment. I still maintain you'd be better off getting an extraction and an implant. Solves the problem permanently instead of putting a band-aid on it.

Like anything else I'm not saying all dentists are irresponsible, but the one in the post about the now-missing tooth certainly seems like one who is.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/05/the-trouble-with-dentistry/586039/

docpatlv
09-05-2019, 10:09 AM
Not from documentaries, not a conspiracy theorist, Talking from personal experience. Lots of root canals are performed unnecessarily for infections. My wife was in pain and our benefits didn't kick in for another 2 weeks. The dentist scheduled a root canal for 2 weeks later and gave her a prescription for antibiotics in the meantime. Lo and behold 2 years later she still hasn't had the root canal. That seems unnecessary to me. Then I read up on it, (reliable sources, not conspiracy wonks) and lots of dentists do root canals at the drop of a hat because it pays well AND virtually insures a return visit. There are situations like the one you described where a root canal is a valid treatment. I still maintain you'd be better off getting an extraction and an implant. Solves the problem permanently instead of putting a band-aid on it.

Like anything else I'm not saying all dentists are irresponsible, but the one in the post about the now-missing tooth certainly seems like one who is.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/05/the-trouble-with-dentistry/586039/

So you’re basing your statements off a single experience your wife had and a photo a board member posted? I’m not going to argue with you on this subject, because to be frank, you’re probably not qualified to give an accurate assessment on anything dental related.

Scam? Maybe you’re going to the wrong dentist. My 25+ years in practice tell me otherwise.

Aquarian Sports Cards
09-05-2019, 10:15 AM
Maybe Scam was harsh, but did you read the article I linked? My wife's situation led me to try and research. The dearth of peer reviewed information on many dental procedures is appalling. I am certainly unqualified to perform dentistry, I am not unqualified to read material from good sources and draw conclusions of my own.

"The Cochrane organization, a highly respected arbiter of evidence-based medicine, has conducted systematic reviews of oral-health studies since 1999. In these reviews, researchers analyze the scientific literature on a particular dental intervention, focusing on the most rigorous and well-designed studies. In some cases, the findings clearly justify a given procedure. For example, dental sealants—liquid plastics painted onto the pits and grooves of teeth like nail polish—reduce tooth decay in children and have no known risks. (Despite this, they are not widely used, possibly because they are too simple and inexpensive to earn dentists much money.) But most of the Cochrane reviews reach one of two disheartening conclusions: Either the available evidence fails to confirm the purported benefits of a given dental intervention, or there is simply not enough research to say anything substantive one way or another."

docpatlv
09-05-2019, 10:22 AM
Maybe Scam was harsh, but did you read the article I linked? My wife's situation led me to try and research. The dearth of peer reviewed information on many dental procedures is appalling. I am certainly unqualified to perform dentistry, I am not unqualified to read material from good sources and draw conclusions of my own.

"The Cochrane organization, a highly respected arbiter of evidence-based medicine, has conducted systematic reviews of oral-health studies since 1999. In these reviews, researchers analyze the scientific literature on a particular dental intervention, focusing on the most rigorous and well-designed studies. In some cases, the findings clearly justify a given procedure. For example, dental sealants—liquid plastics painted onto the pits and grooves of teeth like nail polish—reduce tooth decay in children and have no known risks. (Despite this, they are not widely used, possibly because they are too simple and inexpensive to earn dentists much money.) But most of the Cochrane reviews reach one of two disheartening conclusions: Either the available evidence fails to confirm the purported benefits of a given dental intervention, or there is simply not enough research to say anything substantive one way or another."

Last comment on this. In dentistry, just like in the world of sports card/memorabilia auction houses, there’s good ones and bad ones. Just try not to paint with such a broad brush.

drcy
09-05-2019, 10:39 AM
you got me!

Doctoring teeth is a gateway to doctoring cards.

Aquarian Sports Cards
09-05-2019, 10:39 AM
I backed down twice on that score, saying "Like anything else I'm not saying all dentists are irresponsible" and "Maybe Scam was harsh"

I was going to make the same comparison but in a different way. If you said "Man there's a lot of unethical auction houses that run scams on their customers" I'd have to agree.

brianp-beme
09-05-2019, 10:46 AM
Thought I would be the one to rise out of the dental canal that has become the root of this thread.

Once I get these two glued to each other perhaps I can send it in to this seller so that he can remove the pesky George Connally at the top.

Brian (First is the before scan, second is the during scan)

samosa4u
09-05-2019, 11:21 AM
Guys, can we talk about cards here please?

I think that this Thorpe would be perfect for a guy like Moser. He is very good at coloring cards and getting them past the graders.

bobbyw8469
09-05-2019, 11:25 AM
Guys, can we talk about cards here please?

I think that this Thorpe would be perfect for a guy like Moser. He is very good at coloring cards and getting them past the graders.

It already graded a '4' once. Whoever tried to restore it is obviously not as skilled as Moser is.

calvindog
09-05-2019, 11:38 AM

Underrated post.

samosa4u
09-05-2019, 11:42 AM
It already graded a '4' once. Whoever tried to restore it is obviously not as skilled as Moser is.

It looks like it was his first time trying to restore a card - a $1250 US card. :D I think that somebody will buy it and fix it up. If you know what you're doing, then this is easy money.

Fred
09-05-2019, 01:30 PM

Stupidity.... oh yeah, what everyone else knows... greed...

drcy
09-05-2019, 01:59 PM
I backed down twice on that score, saying "Like anything else I'm not saying all dentists are irresponsible" and "Maybe Scam was harsh"

I was going to make the same comparison but in a different way. If you said "Man there's a lot of unethical auction houses that run scams on their customers" I'd have to agree.

"The Dewey Decimal System. Now there's a scam."-- Kramer

Peter_Spaeth
09-05-2019, 04:58 PM

Or the other way around, maybe some of Towle's chemicals will remove stains from teeth.

ullmandds
09-05-2019, 05:10 PM
Or the other way around, maybe some of Towle's chemicals will remove stains from teeth.

very possible!!!!!!!

hcv123
09-05-2019, 08:29 PM
Sinking my teeth into this thread.

Images of the op showing images of the card being whitened would seem more of an analogy

It was interesting to see 60 year old gum in the he thread!

atx840
09-07-2019, 12:09 PM
Here it is prior

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190907/043ab0f3db897eaa82cfe22a1da8063c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aquarian Sports Cards
09-07-2019, 12:13 PM
What a beautiful card to be destroyed by greed.

bobbyw8469
09-08-2019, 07:33 AM
What a beautiful card to be destroyed by greed.

I know....I was thinking the same thing.