PDA

View Full Version : 1939-46 Salutation Exhibits Bob Feller pitching variation

JLange
09-02-2019, 07:45 AM
I have read about different croppings / projections in the 1939-46 Salutation Exhibits set and decided to take a closer look at a few Bob Feller pitching examples I have. Sure enough there is a 'small projection" and "large projection" version of this card. This is probably known to collectors of this set, but I was unaware.

If you look at the shadow to the right of Feller's foot the small projection version has two spikes sticking out below the shadow, and the large projection card only has one spike below the shadow. This is consistent across the handful of cards I examined on various auction sites and Worthpoint as well.

Guessing these might be from different years / printings but wondering if anyone can shed more light on this. Both versions seem plentiful and come up on ebay often.

toppcat
09-02-2019, 01:32 PM
In such circumstances I've always wondered-which projection came first, small or large?

Copa7
09-02-2019, 09:36 PM
Thanks for this. I pulled my stack of Exhibit cards, and found two salutations. Separated them from the 1947-66 ones.

Cheers

JLange
03-18-2022, 04:33 PM
I just received what I thought was going to be a black & white exhibit card of Bob Feller to go along with my sepia version. When I received it though it was quite different, and I am not even sure its a real period card let alone a real exhibit card.

For starters, the card stock on the b&w version is much more flimsy, just a bit thicker than index card stock, and not even close to exhibit card stock. The stock is also much whiter, not creamy like with other exhibit cards.

This led me to think the b&w version might be a recent copy/reprint. Under magnification there is a very different printing pattern on the b&w version than on the sepia exhibit version (magnifying Feller's armpit/sleeve). I can verify that under black light the card stock does not fluoresce, though.

I am hoping an exhibit card expert can help me figure out what the b&w card is - a recent copy/reprint or something else?

Exhibitman
03-19-2022, 12:52 AM
Fake as a $3 bill, unfortunately.

Shameless plug: I have the large projection version consigned with LOTG in its current auction.

JLange
03-19-2022, 05:20 AM
Thank you, I appreciate the response. Not my first collecting blunder, and won't be my last for sure! Thankfully not a costly error. Maybe the description and printing pics will help somebody else avoid this same mistake when real money is on the table. Fake as a $3 bill, unfortunately.

Shameless plug: I have the large projection version consigned with LOTG in its current auction.

benge610
03-19-2022, 10:26 AM
Thank you, I appreciate the response. Not my first collecting blunder, and won't be my last for sure! Thankfully not a costly error. Maybe the description and printing pics will help somebody else avoid this same mistake when real money is on the table.

TY Jason and Adam.
I am always looking at evidence; regardless of type or subject. The magnified pics and "experienced" input is gold to me; saves me alot of hunting for same.
Thanks again,
Ben

"I love baseball history backstory; especially when it involves cards."

Leon
03-22-2022, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the assists in this thread! Good info..

And to the question of which came first, larger or smaller? Isn't it usually assumed a smaller item was made from a larger one?

Lucas00
03-22-2022, 03:42 PM
Don't have too many Exhibits but here's mine.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220322/400d4865ba4be73b287f53b21e8fa4e6.jpg