PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a new guy

Mike Eisenbath
08-25-2019, 09:25 PM
I've been reading many of the forum posts for several months and enjoying them immensely. The knowledge contained among this group's members is stunning, and I can't describe how much I've learned. Kudos to all.

Quck(ish) background: I began collecting by buying packs of Topps as an 8-year-old in 1969. In 1971, I discovered ads near the back of The Sporting News selling vintage cards and bought many from various sets amazed that a 10-year-old kid could affordably own something more than 60 years old or of players I only knew about because of The Baseball Encyclopedia. I dabbled at really vintage stuff while working on completing Topps sets. I helped organize the first card shows in St. Louis in the mid-1970s and was a subscriber of Sports Collectors Digest from the very beginning (along with other newsletters that came and went). I ended up with complete sets from 1964-1985 before I took a long hiatus (raising kids and working too much). I returned in earnest a few years ago and now am focusing on The Monster (I have about 35), 1955-63 and upgrading some 1970s Topps (replacing those I have that are miscuts).

I have met some amazing people through collecting -- Rick Salamon, Jim Hickerson, Fred Roenig, Ken Kellar, the legendary Buck Barker -- who all treated me very well when I was just a kid hanging out with adults passionate about the hobby. I hope to meet many more such folks.

As a footnote: I realized a childhood dream when in 1984 I became the youngest writer at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and worked there until health forced me to leave in 2002. I covered high school sports, St. Louis University men's basketball and then the Cardinals/MLB for 10 years. I was the primary chronicler of everything McGwire in 1998-99.

And there is this: https://www.amazon.com/Cardinals-Encyclopedia-Encyclopedias-Eisenbath-2000-06-12/dp/B01K963AAG/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=mike+eisenbath&qid=1566789868&s=books&sr=1-2

I am honored to be a member of this group.

RCMcKenzie
08-25-2019, 09:34 PM
You met Buck Barker? That's awesome! Have fun.

oldjudge
08-25-2019, 10:19 PM
Hi Mike-welcome to the group. I too am impressed that you knew Buck Barker, one of the true hobby greats.

Jay

Elderwood17
08-25-2019, 10:19 PM
Welcome I started collecting around the same time but never had the foresight to Buy complete sets. Usually I stopped buying after the first two series.

Ronnie73
08-25-2019, 10:21 PM
Welcome to the group. Always nice to see collectors chasing the "Monster".

Mark
08-25-2019, 10:48 PM
I've been reading many of the forum posts for several months and enjoying them immensely. The knowledge contained among this group's members is stunning, and I can't describe how much I've learned. Kudos to all.

Quck(ish) background: I began collecting by buying packs of Topps as an 8-year-old in 1969. In 1971, I discovered ads near the back of The Sporting News selling vintage cards and bought many from various sets amazed that a 10-year-old kid could affordably own something more than 60 years old or of players I only knew about because of The Baseball Encyclopedia. I dabbled at really vintage stuff while working on completing Topps sets. I helped organize the first card shows in St. Louis in the mid-1970s and was a subscriber of Sports Collectors Digest from the very beginning (along with other newsletters that came and went). I ended up with complete sets from 1964-1985 before I took a long hiatus (raising kids and working too much). I returned in earnest a few years ago and now am focusing on The Monster (I have about 35), 1955-63 and upgrading some 1970s Topps (replacing those I have that are miscuts).

I have met some amazing people through collecting -- Rick Salamon, Jim Hickerson, Fred Roenig, Ken Kellar, the legendary Buck Barker -- who all treated me very well when I was just a kid hanging out with adults passionate about the hobby. I hope to meet many more such folks.

As a footnote: I realized a childhood dream when in 1984 I became the youngest writer at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch and worked there until health forced me to leave in 2002. I covered high school sports, St. Louis University men's basketball and then the Cardinals/MLB for 10 years. I was the primary chronicler of everything McGwire in 1998-99.

And there is this: https://www.amazon.com/Cardinals-Encyclopedia-Encyclopedias-Eisenbath-2000-06-12/dp/B01K963AAG/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=mike+eisenbath&qid=1566789868&s=books&sr=1-2

Greetings Mike! I, too, got started on vintage at a very young age buying cards through the Sporting News: I remember sending my hard-won dollars to the Card Collectors' Company, Jack Smalling, etc. to get T206's of famous players. Since those early days, you've had an amazing baseball life! You are a genuine authority on the Redbirds. I look forward to reading your posts.

Leon
08-26-2019, 07:19 AM
Welcome to the party, Mike. Beer and soft drinks are in the fridge and make yourself at home. Happy collecting. BTW< I have lots of periodicals, letters and other ephemera from Buck and his other early collector friends.

http://luckeycards.com/poletterbarker.jpg

barrysloate
08-26-2019, 07:43 AM
I remember flying to St. Louis around late 1980's to buy a nice collection of Old Judges from Rick Saloman. Recall he was very friendly and easy to deal with.
Welcome to Net54.

Donscards
08-26-2019, 08:19 AM
Welcome to the party, Mike. Beer and soft drinks are in the fridge and make yourself at home. Happy collecting. BTW< I have lots of periodicals, letters and other ephemera from Buck and his other early collector friends.

http://luckeycards.com/poletterbarker.jpg

Leon I love that letter from Buck Barker---so cool, all the notes, love to see more. Don

trdcrdkid
08-26-2019, 08:43 AM
Here's another Buck Barker letter, to fellow hobby pioneer Jake Wise, on the back of an exhibit card:

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg98/dkathman1/IMG_20160606_0003.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg98/dkathman1/IMG_20160606_0004.jpg

And here's Lionel Carter's obituary of Barker and Bob Jasperson, which I originally posted here at the link below.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=219926

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg98/dkathman1/IMG_20160321_0002.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg98/dkathman1/IMG_20160321_0003.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg98/dkathman1/IMG_20160321_0004.jpg

brianp-beme
08-26-2019, 03:17 PM
Welcome aboard. And here are some other pieces of Buck Barker ephemera...his back of card 'notepads' when he researched ballplayers at The Sporting News.

Brian

JollyElm
08-26-2019, 03:38 PM
Welcome. Wax up your board and surf the cardboard waves!

hysell
08-26-2019, 03:45 PM
Hello Mike . From 1 Missouri guy to another , glad to see you come on board ! Good luck in your dealings on here .....Rob ,:)

cardinalcollector
08-26-2019, 07:56 PM
Hello Mike and welcome. I sure remember your name and its nice to hear names like Buck Barker (who also treated me well as a kid), Jim Hickerson, Fred Roniger and the others. St. Louis was always a hotbed for baseball cards, and the mid 1970s I recall fondly with shows in Edwardsville, IL and the Holidome in Bridgeton. Good to hear from you. Randy Trierweiler

Jerry G
08-26-2019, 08:16 PM
Hi, Mike. We probably bumped into to each other at some of those early St. Louis Cards meetings across the river. Loved hearing all of those old collector names that you mentioned. The name Fred Roninger brought back a cool memory. He had some old wrestling Exhibit cards. It was the first time I ever saw any. He could tell that I was jazzed about them and said, "If you like those, take 'em." He had no idea that he created a monster that day.

I remember the first time I saw Buck Barker at one of those meetings. I thought the pope himself had just walked in! Everything stopped! He brought a box of cards and everyone wanted be first to see them. He didn't seem to mind the attention. People were simultaneously reaching into the box, "How much for this one, Buck?'' "Four bucks!" The customer gladly paid and Buck stuffed the four frogs over the top button of his dress shirt!

Mike, I clearly remember your byline on many articles in the Post-Dispatch. Welcome to Net54baseball. It is awesome!

hcv123
08-26-2019, 08:49 PM
Hi Mike. Howard Chasser - resident Clemente fan and other odd things here. Look forward to hearing more about you.

Mike Eisenbath
08-26-2019, 10:41 PM
Hello Mike and welcome. I sure remember your name and its nice to hear names like Buck Barker (who also treated me well as a kid), Jim Hickerson, Fred Roniger and the others. St. Louis was always a hotbed for baseball cards, and the mid 1970s I recall fondly with shows in Edwardsville, IL and the Holidome in Bridgeton. Good to hear from you. Randy TrierweilerGreat memories!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Mike Eisenbath
08-26-2019, 10:45 PM
Hi, Mike. We probably bumped into to each other at some of those early St. Louis Cards meetings across the river. Loved hearing all of those old collector names that you mentioned. The name Fred Roninger brought back a cool memory. He had some old wrestling Exhibit cards. It was the first time I ever saw any. He could tell that I was jazzed about them and said, "If you like those, take 'em." He had no idea that he created a monster that day.

I remember the first time I saw Buck Barker at one of those meetings. I thought the pope himself had just walked in! Everything stopped! He brought a box of cards and everyone wanted be first to see them. He didn't seem to mind the attention. People were simultaneously reaching into the box, "How much for this one, Buck?'' "Four bucks!" The customer gladly paid and Buck stuffed the four frogs over the top button of his dress shirt!

Mike, I clearly remember your byline on many articles in the Post-Dispatch. Welcome to Net54baseball. It is awesome!I remember the same about Mr. Barker. It was at the first-ever St. Louis Cards show at Stan Musial's hotel by the airport. He walked in and everything stopped, with all the room's attention turned to him. I was in awe.

Mike Eisenbath
08-26-2019, 10:48 PM
Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome and sharing of memories. It's all part of why I love this hobby -- combining camaraderie, memories, history and baseball. Why can't my wife understand that? LOL