PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Luck retirement

Throttlesteer
08-24-2019, 10:37 PM
As one of my favorite players, tonight's news was shocking and disappointing. I partially blame the colts leadership for not protecting him all of those years. It's a sad day.

samosa4u
08-25-2019, 11:15 AM
Wow - this is horrible!

I don't follow football much, but from what I've heard in the past, Peyton Manning started having neck issues and then the Colts organization decided to go a different route by drafting Andrew Luck. Manning ended up going to the Broncos where he took them to the Superbowl twice (won the last one) and look what ended up happening with Luck. It's like a curse, isn't it?

pokerplyr80
08-25-2019, 02:32 PM
I think that Broncos ring had more to do with their defense than Manning, but this really is a shame for Luck and Colts fans. It is admirable that he was able to walk away from the kind of money he's leaving on the table.

Jim65
08-25-2019, 06:47 PM
It looks like the Colts did one thing right, they are letting him keep any bonuses they paid, signing and roster bonuses around $12M, they could have demanded he pay it back.

mq711
08-25-2019, 08:23 PM
Not a Colts fan but have always liked Luck but they should have required him to repay the $24,000,000 he was advanced. The money then should be given to the fans who purchased tickets to see a superstar quarterback instead of an unproven backup, especially with only a week to go before the season starts. Fans screwed again.

pokerplyr80
08-26-2019, 11:00 AM
Fans don't get partial or full refunds when stars get injured or sit out a game. At least not that I'm aware of. No reason to expect one when a star retires.

Although it's a very nice gesture I believe Irsay is making a 24m bet that Luck will want to come back in a year or two.

D. Bergin
08-27-2019, 09:34 AM
Not a Colts fan but have always liked Luck but they should have required him to repay the $24,000,000 he was advanced. The money then should be given to the fans who purchased tickets to see a superstar quarterback instead of an unproven backup, especially with only a week to go before the season starts. Fans screwed again.

It's legacy money at this point. Hoping to keep him in the fold in one way or another.

You can bet if it was a lowly RB with a limited history with the team, that Irsay would be clutching back that money as soon as possible.

If Irsay wants to refund fans himself, he's more then capable of doing so.

I also don't understand the "how dare he one week before the season starts" mentality I keep seeing all over the place.

Dude was hurt. He wasn't going to be playing opening day, with a good chance he might have been forced to sit the season out anyways. Brissett had been taking the 1st team snaps all preseason.

Did fans get a refund for the entire 2017 season that he missed?

This guy took a beating, and if anybody cares to check out his college highlights, his playing style indicates he's been taking a beating for a lot longer then just his NFL career.

packs
08-27-2019, 01:02 PM
I'm sure there are a lot of ex-players that wish they had done the same thing.

Mark17
08-29-2019, 05:40 AM
I'm sure there are a lot of ex-players that wish they had done the same thing.

This was my first reaction, and the guy I thought about was Junior Seau.

packs
08-29-2019, 07:10 AM
Gronkowski was in tears while he described "losing the joy" of playing football. You can tell these decisions aren't made lightly.

buymycards
08-29-2019, 08:42 AM
Gronk is healthy now because of his use of CBD products.

As far as Luck, I admire him for having the courage and good sense to quit.

steve B
08-29-2019, 12:01 PM
I think he had a difficult time, and did very well despite that.

Imagine starting your career hearing how you aren't Payton Manning.
Then getting going really well despite that, getting hurt and coming back to teams that just weren't quite good enough.