PDA

View Full Version : Interesting E94 Overprint....

Leon
08-23-2019, 08:10 AM
So what do you guys think about this E94 overprint? (sorry for the different scan sizes)

barrysloate
08-23-2019, 09:08 AM
It's a brighter blue than the others, and the bottom of the last line is indistinct. Is that an original stamp, or was it added later? If it's period, it's very cool.

Cozumeleno
08-23-2019, 09:26 AM
Very cool - one was in this Heritage auction (https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-cards/singles-pre-1930-/1911-e94-close-candy-overprints-collection-6-/a/7135-80445.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-ThisAuction-120115) a few years ago with others. The font on this one is different from that one but given all of the varied fonts and shades of blue these have been seen with, I guess that's not too surprising.

The lot didn't sell, though, so not sure why.

darwinbulldog
08-23-2019, 09:52 AM
SGC got a better look at it than we did of course, but my immediate impression was that it looks "off." If I had to guess I'd say it's a legit original overprint, but I had enough misgivings that I decided not to bid. Not that this ought to carry much weight, but as someone who has owned a number of E94 overprints I'd say I'm about 70% confident it's legitimate. That's compared to about 99% for those ones in Heritage.

ullmandds
08-23-2019, 09:55 AM
A friend on this board emailed me About that Murray from the national Leon. I assumed it was legitimate when I saw the scans but you have owned a bunch of these and I have never owned any! I just cannot pay a significant premium for back stamps which seem to be easily faked .

edhans
08-23-2019, 12:20 PM
I'm a little suspicious. The blue is an odd tint and doesn't match any from the linked Heritage auction or any that I've ever seen. There also appear to be spots where the "overprinting" is on top of some soiling. The paper loss near the top line of the overprint may have been done deliberately to create the opposite impression. By way of full disclosure, I've seen many examples, but never owned one and can't claim to be an expert on them.

ullmandds
08-23-2019, 12:34 PM
The one that Leon posted the type font of the over print stamp is definitely different on the back... then the one in heritage

ullmandds
08-23-2019, 12:39 PM
See!

ullmandds
08-23-2019, 09:08 PM
I cannot find another example online that has the same type font as that one Leon?

Leon
08-24-2019, 06:45 AM
I cannot find another example online that has the same type font as that one Leon?

The one I posted has some less than stellar characteristics. I have handled maybe 30-40 overprints and seen about that many more. In all of them I think I have seen 1 real card overprint being just a little off center. I also have a fake overprint that I cracked out of an SGC 40 holder. It is off center with ink never seen before either (though not like on this one).
SGC admitted it was fake after they slabbed it. It was being sold on our BST coming from Ohio :). There has never been one, I have seen, with that kind of ink or that off center as the one posted. Also, the paper loss across the R is newer paper loss not dark like the other. I would guess that is to make it look old. Those are my thoughts. I asked a good hobby friend, who has a site about caramel cards, and he said the same things.

danmckee
08-26-2019, 04:13 PM
On a good note, If someone created a stamp they sure created an awfully fancy "R" with a bottom hook. Close used some fancy print if you look at the word Close on the their Red Dildock backs. The exclamation point is also very similar to the one used on Your Out and Your Safe.

Also, There is paper loss that has removed some of the overprint, A lot of thought and hard work into making a few hundred dollar card a $500 card in my opinion.

I am going to talk to Scott at SGC and have them look at it again since I am now the possible temporary current owner.

Dan Mckee