PDA

View Full Version : And now there's this....

36GoudeyMan
08-09-2019, 12:03 PM
https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/nbc-news-story-family-says-dealer-sold-them-large-amount-of-bogus-autographs/?fbclid=IwAR22zt81FNC0-cRivqiivsgZJtrzkPrtwmg4F8llsWw1vEB6e063EZ_a3gQ

perezfan
08-09-2019, 12:07 PM
Yeah... it was a major feature on the Today Show this morning, as well.

When they first "teased" it, I thought it was going to be a major news story on "Slabgate". Not nearly as big a story... and it somehow made National Network News.

Still lots of slime elsewhere in the hobby. :mad:

Brian Van Horn
08-09-2019, 12:57 PM
Summarizing the current state of the hobby:

Snapolit1
08-09-2019, 01:10 PM
I posted on the memorabilia board many times how I think it's insane to spend big money for dead people's autographs and they are way way too easy to fake. And how the autograph authentication services are F.O.S. Yet every time I was assured I was out of my mind and a fool. Oh well. To each his own. Second only to "a fool and his money are soon parted."

Mark17
08-09-2019, 01:19 PM
I never understood autograph collecting. Look how many posts there are, over the years, where people are asking each other whether a signature is good. And often the responses vary, some thinking yes, some no.

I may have a few trimmed T205 cards in my little collection, but at least I don't have to wonder whether the assets are actually real. With autograph collectors, that uncertainty is almost always there...

But, to each his own.

Rich Klein
08-09-2019, 02:54 PM
Fake Autographs usually involve superstars and are easier to the general population to understand than cards are. On the blowout forum one of the cards noted as being Trimmed is a Look N See card of someone who is now very obscure. That's a big difference in how people can comprehend the issues.

Sure is a lot easier to explain to the general populace when people such as Jeter, DiMaggio, etc. are involved rather than most of the players in 1948 Leaf Baseball or Football. Both are important issues; however for a mass audience, the bigger names garner more interest.

Rich