PDA

View Full Version : Ramly T-204 errors

droid714
08-08-2019, 07:58 AM
I’ve been breaking some vintage sets into team set checklists and verifying as much information as possible. The most recent set that I’ve worked with is the 1909 T-204 Ramly set and I’ve discovered what I believe are seven previously overlooked errors. It’s possible that these are already known, but I haven’t been able to find any documentation that would indicate that. I apologize if this is old news.

I’m going to list them alphabetically:

Frank C. Bancroft (Mgr.) (Cuban – American Major League Club Series)

Bancroft is listed on his card as “Manager Cincinnati Club”. However, Clark Griffith is shown on his card as “Manager, Cincinnati N. L.”. It’s certainly possible that Cincinnati could have changed managers during the 1909 season, but they didn’t. Griffith managed the Reds from 1909 through 1911. Bancroft last managed in the majors when he managed the Reds for a couple of weeks in 1902.

Bancroft stayed on with the Reds after his managerial stint, filling various front office positions. In 1909, he organized and managed a team of Cincinnati players who traveled to Cuba to participate in what was known as “The Cuban – American Major League Club Series”.

Wm. H. Dineen (Dinneen) (1907-1909) (Dinneen should have two Ns)

The Dinneen card misspells his last name and as far as I can tell, none of the grading services have picked up on this.

(Pat) Donahue (1908-1910) (NOT JIGGS!!!)

The “Donahue, Boston A. L.” card is universally recognized as being “Jiggs” Donahue. Jiggs Donahue never played for Boston. However, Boston did have a catcher in 1909 named “Pat” Donahue. I found an image of Pat Donahue online and it matches the image on the Donahue card.

(Del) Howard (1907-1909) (NOT GEO.!!!)

The “Geo. Howard, Right Field, Chicago N. L.” card is just a flat-out screw-up. No one named George Howard ever played in the major leagues. However, The Cubs had a right fielder in 1909 named “Del” Howard.

(John) Knight (1909-1911) (Should be John not Jack)

This one may seem like a bit of nit-picking, but it’s really not. There was a “Jack” Knight who played in the 1920’s. The player pictured on the card who played for the Highlanders in 1909 was named “John”.

(Vive) Lindaman (1906-1909) (Should be Boston N.L., not A.L.)

On his card, Lindaman is listed as “Pitcher, Boston A. L.”. Lindaman never pitched for the Red Sox. However, he was with the Boston Doves of the National League in 1909.

(Matty) McIntyre (1904-1910) (NOT HARRY!!!)

The McIntyre card shows him as “Left Field, Detroit, A. L.”. The grading services all show him as being “Harry” McIntyre. Harry never played for Detroit, but in 1909, Detroit had a left fielder named “Matty” McIntyre.

Vintagecatcher
08-08-2019, 03:50 PM
Here is another error card in the T204 set.

The Dunn (Brooklyn N.L.) shows Jack Dunn not Joe Dunn, who was the Brooklyn N.L. catcher.

Patrick

nolemmings
08-08-2019, 04:28 PM
George and Del Howard are one and the same---George Elmer "Del" Howard.

FWIW, Pat Donahue was Jiggs' brother.

droid714
08-08-2019, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the correction about Geo. Howard.

Leon
08-10-2019, 02:05 PM
Nice list. Unless there are 2 different cards some might have gone unnoticed but a lot of collectors have studied them up until now.

I’ve been breaking some vintage sets into team set checklists and verifying as much information as possible. The most recent set that I’ve worked with is the 1909 T-204 Ramly set and I’ve discovered what I believe are seven previously overlooked errors. It’s possible that these are already known, but I haven’t been able to find any documentation that would indicate that. I apologize if this is old news.

I’m going to list them alphabetically:

Frank C. Bancroft (Mgr.) (Cuban – American Major League Club Series)

Bancroft is listed on his card as “Manager Cincinnati Club”. However, Clark Griffith is shown on his card as “Manager, Cincinnati N. L.”. It’s certainly possible that Cincinnati could have changed managers during the 1909 season, but they didn’t. Griffith managed the Reds from 1909 through 1911. Bancroft last managed in the majors when he managed the Reds for a couple of weeks in 1902.

Bancroft stayed on with the Reds after his managerial stint, filling various front office positions. In 1909, he organized and managed a team of Cincinnati players who traveled to Cuba to participate in what was known as “The Cuban – American Major League Club Series”.

Wm. H. Dineen (Dinneen) (1907-1909) (Dinneen should have two Ns)

The Dinneen card misspells his last name and as far as I can tell, none of the grading services have picked up on this.

(Pat) Donahue (1908-1910) (NOT JIGGS!!!)

The “Donahue, Boston A. L.” card is universally recognized as being “Jiggs” Donahue. Jiggs Donahue never played for Boston. However, Boston did have a catcher in 1909 named “Pat” Donahue. I found an image of Pat Donahue online and it matches the image on the Donahue card.

(Del) Howard (1907-1909) (NOT GEO.!!!)

The “Geo. Howard, Right Field, Chicago N. L.” card is just a flat-out screw-up. No one named George Howard ever played in the major leagues. However, The Cubs had a right fielder in 1909 named “Del” Howard.

(John) Knight (1909-1911) (Should be John not Jack)

This one may seem like a bit of nit-picking, but it’s really not. There was a “Jack” Knight who played in the 1920’s. The player pictured on the card who played for the Highlanders in 1909 was named “John”.

(Vive) Lindaman (1906-1909) (Should be Boston N.L., not A.L.)

On his card, Lindaman is listed as “Pitcher, Boston A. L.”. Lindaman never pitched for the Red Sox. However, he was with the Boston Doves of the National League in 1909.

(Matty) McIntyre (1904-1910) (NOT HARRY!!!)

The McIntyre card shows him as “Left Field, Detroit, A. L.”. The grading services all show him as being “Harry” McIntyre. Harry never played for Detroit, but in 1909, Detroit had a left fielder named “Matty” McIntyre.