PDA

View Full Version : dan even

jakebeckleyoldeagleeye
08-03-2019, 08:51 PM
Anyone who collected postcards in the good old days must have dealt with Dan Even. Received an e-mail from his wife informing me that Dan passed away Aug. 3. RIP Mr. Even.

commishbob
08-03-2019, 09:04 PM
Oh wow. He was a great help to me when I was building my Orioles postcard collection. RIP

RedsFan1941
08-03-2019, 09:31 PM
such sad news. always enjoyed talking about postcards with dan. such a passionate, kind and knowledgeable guy. I still use checklists he compiled 20-30 years ago. the hobby could use more people like dan.

trdcrdkid
08-03-2019, 10:40 PM
Sad news. Dan sold me my first big lot of hobby publications back in 1995, including a complete run of SCD to 1990.

eddie
08-03-2019, 11:10 PM
My cherished friend of 40+ years...
Edward A. Broder

Al C.risafulli
08-04-2019, 12:14 AM
I heard this on the show floor today. Condolences to his family and friends.

-Al

Rich Klein
08-04-2019, 03:32 AM
Dan was a good man who truly loved the hobby and sharing information. His help in my postcard cataloguing for the Beckett Almanac back in the day was above what was needed.

One thing he would organize, and I'd like to see one last time is in 2020 to have a "postcard" show in one of the side rooms at the National to honor his memory.

Rich

Hot Springs Bathers
08-04-2019, 06:42 AM
I did a lot of trading with Dan in the 80's. We would write every team several times for postcards, super fellow. I have a file with many of his SCD articles saved.

akleinb611
08-04-2019, 05:50 PM
Damn. I corresponded with Dan, off and on, for years. We both had regular columns in Frank and Vivian Barning's Baseball Hobby News back in the Eighties. As others have said, a good man and a generous collector. I last saw him at the second(?) Baltimore national, and it makes me smile to remember him surrounded by the postcards he knew so well.

A very serious loss for the hobby, and for his loved ones. One less true collector amongst us...

HRBAKER
08-04-2019, 06:12 PM
Dan helped me assemble a great deal of my Cardinal Team Issued PC collection. Very knowledgeable and always willing to share info and help. He will be missed and my thoughts go out to Janice and his family.

Exhibitman
08-04-2019, 09:04 PM
Was this at the show itself?

h2oya311
08-05-2019, 08:18 AM
That’s sad. I used to be on his distribution list for all postcard auctions. He was old school. But always eager to help. I am sad, but not surprised. Another good one gone but not forgotten.

Kevin Savage
08-05-2019, 08:23 AM
Dan was a super guy, who I will miss. Dan and I would spend a lot of time together at the National working the dealer booth lottery and attending board dinners. He was a wealth of hobby knowledge and a true gentleman with a great sense of fairness.

He did not actually make it to the National this year- but his spirit was with us there and will remain with us for a long time.

This has been a tough year with so many hobby friends passing on. Dan is right there at the top of the list of those who will be sincerely missed by so many of us.

Rich Klein
08-05-2019, 01:16 PM
Was this at the show itself?

Adam; Dan was not at the show. His wife, felt she had to attend, because of her duties on the NSCC dealer board. She left early Thursday literally as I was approaching her booth.

Rich

commishbob
08-05-2019, 03:05 PM
Those who knew (or even briefly met) Dan will appreciate this obituary.

https://www.hoffmannschneiderfuneralhomes.com/obituary/dan-even

h2oya311
08-05-2019, 04:41 PM
Those who knew (or even briefly met) Dan will appreciate this obituary.

https://www.hoffmannschneiderfuneralhomes.com/obituary/dan-even

OMG! that obit is awesome! Best two paragraphs I've read in my entire life, and probably something I should have my wife and kids write into mine:

spoiler alert:

"Dan leaves behind a hell of a lot of stuff his family doesn’t know what to do with, so if you are looking for an old RC Cola can with baseball stats, some really hard pink stick gum, and lord knows how many books, you should wait the appropriate amount of time and get in touch with the family.

Tomorrow will be fine."

Exhibitman
08-05-2019, 04:46 PM
"The family encourages you to dress down and wear your favorite team’s sporting attire. No ties allowed."

Amen to that...

commishbob
08-05-2019, 07:17 PM
OMG! that obit is awesome! Best two paragraphs I've read in my entire life, and probably something I should have my wife and kids write into mine:

spoiler alert:

"Dan leaves behind a hell of a lot of stuff his family doesn’t know what to do with, so if you are looking for an old RC Cola can with baseball stats, some really hard pink stick gum, and lord knows how many books, you should wait the appropriate amount of time and get in touch with the family.

Tomorrow will be fine."

Yup, that really made me LOL

whiteymet
08-05-2019, 09:10 PM
Have known Dan from the early 70's.

Stop by the booth to see him on the day he passed and got the news. Always had great conversations with Dan. Super nice guy!

Tons of postcard knowledge leaves this earth with him.

Such sad news. Best wishes to his family. Hope they can find a buyer for those RC soda cans!

Fred

Directly
08-05-2019, 10:00 PM
[I]"Dan leaves behind a hell of a lot of stuff his family doesn’t know what to do with, so if you are looking for an old RC Cola can with baseball stats, some really hard pink stick gum, and lord knows how many books, you should wait the appropriate amount of time and get in touch with the family.

The family called a post card collector friend of mine advising his passing and asking for advise concerning his collection--

SteveMitchell
08-09-2019, 08:57 PM
Received a note today (via USPS since he doesn't do internet) from Dan's longtime friend and fellow baseball postcard collector, Bob Thing of Maine. Such sad news. It is a privilege to have known him just a little - from the days of pre-card shows to a recent sale or two via eBay and many years in-between. Dan Even was a great guy and genuine old school collector. He will greatly be missed.