PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Some Help Identifying Two Cabinets

oldjudge
07-23-2019, 02:10 PM
These two cabinets came from a group of cabinets of professional players from 1887-91. The first is a St Paul cabinet of a player who looks like Scrappy Carroll. The jersey appears to say St Paul and the photographer T M Swem is from St Paul. What confuses me is that the jersey and hat appear to match the St Paul 1889 uniform, but the pants and sox match the 1888 uniform. Any thoughts?
The second cabinet is a player with white "S C" on a dark jersey. Since the photographer is from Sioux City, Iowa I am left to conclude that this is a Sioux City player. However, I can't find a picture of any player with this style jersey. The Sioux City players in the Old Judge set had the team name written out on a white jersey. The player looks familiar, but I can't identify him.

RCMcKenzie
07-24-2019, 12:38 PM
It's not Genins is it? When I looked up the Sioux City 1888 roster on baseball reference it's the name that I recognized.

seattlerainiers
07-25-2019, 08:40 AM
Jay,

Scrappy it is:

robertsmithnocure
07-25-2019, 08:42 AM
Great cabinets. So glad that You were able to confirm your suspicions on the identity of the one.

oldjudge
07-25-2019, 08:44 AM
Looks a little like him, but tough to tell. I sent an image to the author of a book about the history of baseball in NW Iowa so maybe we'll get a clue from her. The jersey is not familiar to me which is part of the problem. I have also attached a better scan of the St Paul photographer cabinet. The jersey looks like it does not in fact say St Paul. The last letter does not look like an "L".

oldjudge
07-25-2019, 08:48 AM
Dave--I missed your post before I put in my improved image. Thanks for responding. Any idea what the team name on the jersey is? Carroll played for St Paul but the last letter showing does not look like an "L".

Addendum: I checked the Carroll cabinet again with a loope and the "L" in St Paul is mostly, but not completely, covered by a fold of the jersey. All is well again.

oldjudge
07-25-2019, 08:54 AM
I also sent an image of the Sioux City cabinet to the HOF research library. Unfortunately, as the response below shows, they could not identify the uniform:

Thank you for contacting the Baseball Hall of Fame.

"You definitely have found something very neat and interesting. After several searches I was also unable to track down any photos that matched that uniform from Sioux City from that time period. So I do not have an exact date. As you may already know, minor league or amateur league baseball information is very tough track down especially in that time period because not everything was kept track of. My assumption is that the team may have been the Sioux City Cornhuskers a minor league team in the Western League from 1888 to 1891. However I do not have enough information to say that is 100 percent true.

Here is what I recommend. It may help, it may not. I would contact the Sioux City Historical Society or Public Library. They should have some information on the Sioux City Cornhuskers. They might be able to lead you down the right path.

Best of luck in your search,"