PDA

View Full Version : Off topic: Earthquake

Kenny Cole
07-06-2019, 12:17 AM
I hope no one here is substantially affected by these earthquakes. My entire family lives in SoCal, and my wife was born in Ridgecrest, so I also feel for her family who is still there. Not good.

Steve D
07-06-2019, 01:36 AM
My sister lives just north of LA, and I have a lot of cousins who live all over Southern California and Las Vegas.

The quake hit during the bottom of the 4th inning of the Padres-Dodgers game at Dodger Stadium. Evidently, the players on the field didn't even feel it, but some in the dugout, and Kenley Janssen in the clubhouse did feel it. Many fans in the upper deck of the stadium definitely felt it and left their seats. The game though, continued uninterrupted.

I was watching the game on MLB.TV, and except for the centerfield camera bobbing and weaving for a good 30 seconds or so, and the announcers saying it was happening, you wouldn't have even known there was an earthquake.

Steve

barrysloate
07-06-2019, 03:58 AM
Apparently there was a 7.1 last night.

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-06-2019, 04:23 AM
I blame PWCC. Mainly because the percentage of threads about them on the front page needed augmentation...

Exhibitman
07-06-2019, 07:32 AM
We felt it but could tell it was a long ways away. You get a feel for how far away they are after decades of them. A distant one is sort of a soft rolling like a boat on the water. At close range and especially if the wave is going in your direction a 7.1 is scary. It can tear buildings apart. The apartment where I was living during the 6.7 1994 Northridge quake was close to the epicenter and sustained severe damage. Sounded like a train crash: steel, wood and glass being torn apart shrieks. I also went through the 6.9 1989 Loma Prieta quake in San Francisco, in the worst possible place, an elevator. I was on the way down to the store to get chips for a World Series viewing party. We fell four floors before the brakes kicked in.

Leon
07-06-2019, 07:57 AM
We felt it but could tell it was a long ways away. You get a feel for how far away they are after decades of them. A distant one is sort of a soft rolling like a boat on the water. At close range and especially if the wave is going in your direction a 7.1 is scary. It can tear buildings apart. The apartment where I was living during the 6.7 1994 Northridge quake was close to the epicenter and sustained severe damage. Sounded like a train crash: steel, wood and glass being torn apart shrieks. I also went through the 6.9 1989 Loma Prieta quake in San Francisco, in the worst possible place, an elevator. I was on the way down to the store to get chips for a World Series viewing party. We fell four floors before the brakes kicked in.

I would have had to change my underwear :)>

shayscards79
07-06-2019, 03:36 PM
I was eating dinner in Oceanside last night and felt it. Lasted about six or seven seconds. Didn't shake anything structural though.

pokerplyr80
07-06-2019, 03:41 PM
I'm in OC, and although we were not in any danger the building I was in was shaking, as was anything hanging on the walls. I felt like I was on a boat with small waves in the water. It lasted for close to a minute, although it felt longer. I even got slightly motion sick for a couple of minutes.

oldjudge
07-06-2019, 03:41 PM
This is scary stuff. Imagine if that 7.1 hit in a major population center and not in a relatively isolated area. My thoughts and prayers go out to those affected.

Throttlesteer
07-06-2019, 03:42 PM
This is scary stuff. Imagine if that 7.1 hit in a major population center and not in a relatively isolated area. My thoughts and prayers go out to those affected.

It did, back in 1989. Bay Bridge World Series (Loma Prieta) earthquake.

kateighty
07-06-2019, 05:28 PM
I would have had to change my underwear :)>

This coming from the man who said I'm too thin skinned for this forum. Interesting.

oldjudge
07-06-2019, 06:24 PM
This coming from the man who said I'm too thin skinned for this forum. Interesting.

LOL, I think you just proved Leon's point

kmac32
07-06-2019, 08:00 PM
Moved from Socal 1 1/2 years ago and still have quite a few friends still there. I lived in Beaumont California which is 117 miles from the epicenter of the 7.1 quake. Quakes are common in Cali so the only surprise is that there wasn’t more damage. Thankfully!

kateighty
07-06-2019, 08:12 PM
LOL, I think you just proved Leon's point

Regardless of whatever point he's trying to make it's not going to bring me down. That's for sure.

Dodgerfan74
07-06-2019, 10:15 PM
I live in North Las Vegas and we felt the earthquake. I'm originally from Southern California. I remember the 1971 earthquake. Sierra Madre in early 90s.