PDA

View Full Version : T205 Wallace w/Cap Shows Up 10 Years Later.

PolarBear
07-01-2019, 09:23 PM
Ok, so I don't actively collect cards anymore and just came back to check out the boards recently.

Anything new going on in the hobby? :D

Anyway, so here's the story, back in 2009 when I was selling off some of my T205's on ebay, a nice VG (raw) Wallace w/cap gets lost in the mail, and I had to pay out the claim. I think I sold it for $40-$45.

Fast forward to last month and a mailer shows up in my mailbox stamped "found in abandoned equipment, unable to forward". The mailer had been cut and re-taped. Someone at the P.O. obviously checked the contents. When I opened it, out pops ol' Bobby with his cap. I would post a pic but I'm not gonna lie, I'm too lazy to go to that much trouble.

So, I decide to check out the forum again and see what's going on. Oh boy. :eek:

Can't say I regret getting out of the hobby. But I still think about putting together a T206 "Merkle Game" line up now and then.

BruceinGa
07-02-2019, 05:20 AM
Well props to the USPS!

darwinbulldog
07-02-2019, 06:30 AM
How long before we see a Wagner reprint sold on eBay as "unknown authenticity/looks real/found in abandoned USPS equipment"?

Smanzari
07-02-2019, 06:52 AM
Ok, so I don't actively collect cards anymore and just came back to check out the boards recently.

Anything new going on in the hobby? :D

Anyway, so here's the story, back in 2009 when I was selling off some of my T205's on ebay, a nice VG (raw) Wallace w/cap gets lost in the mail, and I had to pay out the claim. I think I sold it for $40-$45.

Fast forward to last month and a mailer shows up in my mailbox stamped "found in abandoned equipment, unable to forward". The mailer had been cut and re-taped. Someone at the P.O. obviously checked the contents. When I opened it, out pops ol' Bobby with his cap. I would post a pic but I'm not gonna lie, I'm too lazy to go to that much trouble.

So, I decide to check out the forum again and see what's going on. Oh boy. :eek:

Can't say I regret getting out of the hobby. But I still think about putting together a T206 "Merkle Game" line up now and then.

Crazy how that happened! Let me know if you want to sell it!

steve B
07-02-2019, 03:40 PM
I might be interested in the envelope. found in abandoned equipment isn't a common marking.

MikeGarcia
07-02-2019, 03:49 PM
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/2042957/view/1726ENVYLOOP_NEW.JPGI might be interested in the envelope. found in abandoned equipment isn't a common marking.

..I thought I was the only one on here who saved/collected rare/odd envelopes..

PolarBear
07-02-2019, 04:31 PM
Sorry guys, the envelope (small bubble mailer) got pitched the same day.

steve B
07-02-2019, 04:41 PM
http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/2042957/view/1726ENVYLOOP_NEW.JPG

..I thought I was the only one on here who saved/collected rare/odd envelopes..

From a Canadian stamp collector/dealer I'd guess?

Lots of the dealers get fairly recent stamps for under face value, and tend to use them as discount postage.
The guy I go to would get people bringing in stacks of sheets, and he'd generally offer 20% under face value unless they already had a figure in mind. Then he'd sell them to a convent near his house for 10% under face value.

It's like the junk wax era cards, people bought loads of them expecting it to be an investment.