PDA

View Full Version : The Superiority of SGC

robw1959
06-22-2019, 07:10 PM
I just got notified by PWCC that one of my cards purchased from a PWCC auction last November, a 1948 Leaf Joe Dimaggio, was indeed an altered card, and that they wanted to issue me a refund so that they could take it out of circulation by turning it over to law enforcement. It was originally a PSA 3 (PQ), but just looked too sharp for the assigned grade, so I cracked it out and sent it to SGC. Unfortunately, it came back from SGC as an unholdered card that was deemed to have been trimmed. The card is now in the mail to PWCC so I can be refunded once they have verified that this was the card in question.

My point is this: With PSA's reputation as the most conservative grading company out there, I'm pretty sure that a sizable portion of those altered cards have gone this same route and have eventually ended up in the hands of SGC at some point, yet SGC has yet to be implicated in the slabgate scandal. While I'm sure they have allowed some conserved cards to pass through their process and receive a numerical grade, so far, it doesn't look like the trimmed or recolored cards are getting through like they have passed through those card sieves known as PSA and Beckett. The only conclusion that I can draw is that SGC has superior graders.

bnorth
06-22-2019, 07:19 PM
I just got notified by PWCC that one of my cards purchased from a PWCC auction last November, a 1948 Leaf Joe Dimaggio, was indeed an altered card, and that they wanted to issue me a refund so that they could take it out of circulation by turning it over to law enforcement. It was originally a PSA 3 (PQ), but just looked too sharp for the assigned grade, so I cracked it out and sent it to SGC. Unfortunately, it came back from SGC as an unholdered card that was deemed to have been trimmed. The card is now in the mail to PWCC so I can be refunded once they have verified that this was the card in question.

My point is this: With PSA's reputation as the most conservative grading company out there, I'm pretty sure that a sizable portion of those altered cards have gone this same route and have eventually ended up in the hands of SGC at some point, yet SGC has yet to be implicated in the slabgate scandal. While I'm sure they have allowed some conserved cards to pass through their process and receive a numerical grade, so far, it doesn't look like the trimmed or recolored cards are getting through like they have passed through those card sieves known as PSA and Beckett. The only conclusion that I can draw is that SGC has superior graders.

I don't think they are perfect but they are WAY better than the other 2 on cards.

Please update when/if PWCC(Pre War Card Conservators) actually refund your purchase price.

swarmee
06-22-2019, 07:20 PM
Too early to tell; SGC has a broken cert number checker which makes it difficult to recreate submissions from their website. Plus, they're likely the 2nd or 3rd choice for Moser to submit vintage cards, with #1 and #2 being PSA.

I'm surprised that PWCC is going to take your card back since you cracked it out of the PSA holder on your own.

Peter_Spaeth
06-22-2019, 07:20 PM
I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusion, but a single example is not exactly a robust body of evidence.

Peter_Spaeth
06-22-2019, 07:21 PM
Too early to tell; SGC has a broken cert number checker which makes it difficult to recreate submissions from their website. Plus, they're likely the 2nd or 3rd choice for Moser to submit vintage cards, with #1 and #2 being PSA.

I'm surprised that PWCC is going to take your card back since you cracked it out of the PSA holder on your own.

Fear will make people do the damnedest things.

swarmee
06-22-2019, 07:22 PM
He doesn't say he told PWCC it was removed from the holder.

Peter_Spaeth
06-22-2019, 07:24 PM
Some high ticket SGC is starting to show up on BO, by the way. E.g.
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpost.php?p=14753453&postcount=2827

Peter_Spaeth
06-22-2019, 08:03 PM
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpost.php?p=14787929&postcount=3244

Peter_Spaeth
06-23-2019, 08:00 AM
Posting cross-reference on SGC's superiority.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=270451

NYYFan63
06-23-2019, 08:29 AM
I agree with others, I would like to know if PWCC provides a refund since you cracked the card out of the PSA holder. I would not think they could turn over to law enforcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robw1959
06-23-2019, 10:08 AM
I agree with others, I would like to know if PWCC provides a refund since you cracked the card out of the PSA holder. I would not think they could turn over to law enforcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, I did let them know about that. It will probably just take longer for me to get that refund since they will likely have to send it to PSA to ascertain that this is the one that was altered. The trimming is pretty hard to spot, for sure.

robw1959
06-23-2019, 10:13 AM
I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusion, but a single example is not exactly a robust body of evidence.

My only point is that I can't be the only one who has cracked an "undergraded" card out of a PSA holder and sent it to SGC for a second opinion. And there is a strong likelihood that quite a few of the altered PSA cards have already been sent to SGC by others as well, but we don't see scads of their cards showing up in the scandal.

calvindog
06-23-2019, 10:38 AM
My only point is that I can't be the only one who has cracked an "undergraded" card out of a PSA holder and sent it to SGC for a second opinion. And there is a strong likelihood that quite a few of the altered PSA cards have already been sent to SGC by others as well, but we don't see scads of their cards showing up in the scandal.

Usually people send the card to the other grading company in the slab in order to get a second opinion. Usually people who want to make more money on their card crack it out and send it to the other grading company raw. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the PWCC refund on this one.

Peter_Spaeth
06-23-2019, 11:08 AM
I think the OP was looking for a bump. Or he is misstating his reasoning for taking the card out of the PSA holder If someone thinks a card looks too sharp for the assigned grade, that sounds like he thinks that it's undergraded and has nothing to do with a concern whether it's altered or not. Unless there's some practice of undergrading altered cards that I am unaware of.

robw1959
06-23-2019, 04:48 PM
I think the OP was looking for a bump. Or he is misstating his reasoning for taking the card out of the PSA holder If someone thinks a card looks too sharp for the assigned grade, that sounds like he thinks that it's undergraded and has nothing to do with a concern whether it's altered or not. Unless there's some practice of undergrading altered cards that I am unaware of.

Peter, I never said that I thought the card was altered, and still can't tell even now, looking at the blown-up scans. If it has been trimmed, it's a pretty good job, I think. My sole reason for taking the card out of the holder was to get a better grade from SGC without causing them to be biased in any way due to the PSA grade. I still don't know how this could have been deemed a "3" by them. I fully expected at least a 5 or 6 from SGC.

Peter_Spaeth
06-23-2019, 04:50 PM
Peter, I never said that I thought the card was altered, and still can't tell even now, looking at the blown-up scans. If it has been trimmed, it's a pretty good job, I think. My sole reason for taking the card out of the holder was to get a better grade from SGC without causing them to be biased in any way due to the PSA grade. I still don't know how this could have been deemed a "3" by them. I fully expected at least a 5 or 6 from SGC.

OK I misread your post then, my mistake, and sorry about that.

calvindog
06-23-2019, 05:46 PM
For what it's worth, PSA graded it and SGC caught the trim.

Peter_Spaeth
06-23-2019, 06:04 PM
For what it's worth, PSA graded it and SGC caught the trim.

It may not be worth much given the CJ Jackson and the Leaf Jackie and others that are coming out of the woodwork. At the end of the day, I don't think anyone is going to look great among the TPGs.

darwinbulldog
06-23-2019, 06:05 PM
It may not be worth much given the CJ Jackson and the Leaf Jackie and others that are coming out of the woodwork. At the end of the day, I don't think anyone is going to look great among the TPGs.

None of Moser's cards got by GAI.

Griffins
06-23-2019, 06:54 PM

You aren’t looking at his ‘55 Bowman’s

Peter_Spaeth
06-23-2019, 06:58 PM
You aren’t looking at his ‘55 Bowman’s

I believe he actually came on here to post after those were mentioned 10 plus years ago.

calvindog
06-23-2019, 07:30 PM

I don't believe either of those were trimmed. I think it's a lot tougher for a grader to spot cards which were cleaned than cards which were hacked to pieces, like all the cards that got past PSA and Beckett.

Peter_Spaeth
06-23-2019, 07:33 PM
I don't believe either of those were trimmed. I think it's a lot tougher for a grader to spot cards which were cleaned than cards which were hacked to pieces, like all the cards that got past PSA and Beckett.

Perhaps so as a general matter, and maybe the scans/pics weren't true reflections of the cards, but the color on the Jackson looked quite off and the Jackie was too white, even without the before photos. The Jackson also had a crease taken out, or are we now excusing failure to catch those too?

calvindog
06-23-2019, 07:39 PM
Perhaps so as a general matter, and maybe the scans/pics weren't true reflections of the cards, but the color on the Jackson looked quite off and the Jackie was too white, even without the before photos. The Jackson also had a crease taken out, or are we now excusing failure to catch those too.

We're not excusing anything. You claimed that SGC was as bad as PSA based on the Leaf Robinson and the CJ Jackson which both got by SGC. Ask any grader and they'll tell you that a card that is bleached is much tougher to spot than a card that is missing a border. Neither of the Robinson or Jackson were trimmed, just cleaned. Much harder to spot.

Peter_Spaeth
06-23-2019, 07:44 PM
We're not excusing anything. You claimed that SGC was as bad as PSA based on the Leaf Robinson and the CJ Jackson which both got by SGC. Ask any grader and they'll tell you that a card that is bleached is much tougher to spot than a card that is missing a border. Neither of the Robinson or Jackson were trimmed, just cleaned. Much harder to spot.

I used those as examples of what I thought was likely to be the conclusion at the end of the day when as many bad cards as can be identified from before and afters are on the table. But to your point, aren't we trusting and paying these TPGs to spot the difficult to find alterations as well as the easy ones?

calvindog
06-23-2019, 07:55 PM
I used those as examples of what I thought was likely to be the conclusion at the end of the day when as many bad cards as can be identified from before and afters are on the table. But to your point, aren't we trusting and paying these TPGs to spot the difficult to find alterations as well as the easy ones?

Of course. But I think considering the circumstances we should make the best of an imperfect situation. And there really is no test which can discern whether a card is cleaned or not usually. Not surprisingly, therefore, most collectors aren't as offended by a cleaning as they are by a trim job. That PSA routinely can't spot the most obvious trimming and SGC seems to do much better in this area should be appreciated.

Peter_Spaeth
06-23-2019, 07:59 PM
Of course. But I think considering the circumstances we should make the best of an imperfect situation. And there really is no test which can discern whether a card is cleaned or not usually. Not surprisingly, therefore, most collectors aren't as offended by a cleaning as they are by a trim job. That PSA routinely can't spot the most obvious trimming and SGC seems to do much better in this area should be appreciated.

If toxic chemicals were used I'm not so sure about that. And again, a crease was also removed. But to find common ground here it's astounding that some of these trim jobs are getting past PSA, just tonight another series of mini Leafs have been identified.

calvindog
06-23-2019, 08:01 PM
If toxic chemicals were used I'm not so sure about that. And again, a crease was also removed. But to find common ground here it's astounding that some of these trim jobs are getting past PSA, just tonight a series of mini Leafs have been identified.

From what I've been told the chemicals used to clean a card (peroxide, etc.) don't leave a smell.

And yeah, the trimming is insane that they aren't spotting. All those times when you look at a Heritage auction and see high graded cards that you think have funny borders? They're ALL trimmed. Not some -- all.

Peter_Spaeth
06-23-2019, 08:04 PM
From what I've been told the chemicals used to clean a card (peroxide, etc.) don't leave a smell.

And yeah, the trimming is insane that they aren't spotting. All those times when you look at a Heritage auction and see high graded cards that you think have funny borders? They're ALL trimmed. Not some -- all.

I started to wonder about high grade T206s back with the first sale of the Harris Collection. I haven't seen much since then that instilled a lot of confidence.

bnorth
06-23-2019, 08:08 PM

Plus any smell that is left after the cleaning is very easy to get rid of.

I was looking at 51 mantles today and it seemed the higher the grade and the more centered the more extra room there was in the holder. Weirdly the beaters filled the whole area in the slab way more often.

MULLINS5
06-24-2019, 01:54 PM
That recently uncovered bleached Ruth SGC graded is a beauty.

Republicaninmass
06-24-2019, 02:27 PM
For a while, I felt since it was in a holder, it was good. The amount t of high grade cards that look trimmed always bothered me. I'm a small fish though, no body missing my revenue

bnorth
06-24-2019, 02:29 PM
For a while, I felt since it was in a holder, it was good. The amount t of high grade cards that look trimmed always bothered me. I'm a small fish though, no body missing my revenue

As long as you leave it in the slab it is good.;)

If it bothers you please send it to me for safe keeping.:)

ullmandds
06-24-2019, 02:30 PM
Plus any smell that is left after the cleaning is very easy to get rid of.

I was looking at 51 mantles today and it seemed the higher the grade and the more centered the more extra room there was in the holder. Weirdly the beaters filled the whole area in the slab way more often.

Ya...last night i scrutinized my 51 mantle...its graded 4...it measured but who knows??

Republicaninmass
06-24-2019, 02:30 PM
As long as you leave it in the slab it is good.;)

If it bothers you please send it to me for safe keeping.:)Since per SgC I can get the grading fee refunded by sending them the flip, I'm going to crack them out. Brb

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bnorth
06-24-2019, 02:56 PM
Ya...last night i scrutinized my 51 mantle...its graded 4...it measured but who knows??

What has worked best for me is one of those little 60-100X top lighted microscopes. Even in a slab trimmed cards stick out like a sore thumb with that much magnification.

If at home another trick I use is scan(1200dpi) the card front and back. Then put the scan on the big a$$ TVs we all seem to have. When the card is two and a half feet by 4 foot it is pretty easy to see most alterations.

steve B
06-24-2019, 03:45 PM
What has worked best for me is one of those little 60-100X top lighted microscopes. Even in a slab trimmed cards stick out like a sore thumb with that much magnification.

If at home another trick I use is scan(1200dpi) the card front and back. Then put the scan on the big a$$ TVs we all seem to have. When the card is two and a half feet by 4 foot it is pretty easy to see most alterations.

Yep, either of those will show lots of interesting things.

irv
06-25-2019, 07:42 AM

I agree with Jeff 100%!
Cleaning, in general, is an accepted practice with most collectors so if one can't discern what products (no smell) were used to clean a card then how can a TPG not accept the card as real and give it a number grade?

Imo, comparing this to a trimmed card is not an apple to apple comparison. I believe most would accept a card that has been soaked but fully reject a card that has been trimmed and/or recolored.
Having before and after photos when purchasing is not an option for most collectors so even if a card looks a little faded or doesn't present the best, most collectors would just assume time and the sun got to it over the years.

Personally, and although they are not perfect, my grader of choice if and when the time comes will be SGC, which I have stated many times here.

glynparson
06-25-2019, 11:38 AM

Actually he was a huge submitter to gai. I suggest you research 1955 Bowman’s GAi and moser for one example. Oh I see Anthony beat me to it. Lol.

swarmee
06-25-2019, 11:54 AM
Dale, maybe you're confusing a soak in distilled water with a chemical bath with a bleaching agent. One is reasonably well accepted, the other is not. Moser is doing the latter, along with a whole host of other alterations.
As to whether the TPGs should catch them, they all claim to be able to, and that's why they charge up to $5,000 per card to authenticate, detect alterations, and grade cards. The fact that they're either not using the proper techniques to detect alterations or they're unable to detect them at all, they promise that they can.
They should either do their jobs properly or stop lying to their customers.

irv
06-25-2019, 12:12 PM
I agree with Jeff 100%!
Cleaning, in general, is an accepted practice with most collectors so if one can't discern what products (no smell) were used to clean a card then how can a TPG not accept the card as real and give it a number grade?

Imo, comparing this to a trimmed card is not an apple to apple comparison. I believe most would accept a card that has been soaked but fully reject a card that has been trimmed and/or recolored.
Having before and after photos when purchasing is not an option for most collectors so even if a card looks a little faded or doesn't present the best, most collectors would just assume time and the sun got to it over the years.

Personally, and although they are not perfect, my grader of choice if and when the time comes will be SGC, which I have stated many times here.

Dale, maybe you're confusing a soak in distilled water with a chemical bath with a bleaching agent. One is reasonably well accepted, the other is not. Moser is doing the latter, along with a whole host of other alterations.
As to whether the TPGs should catch them, they all claim to be able to, and that's why they charge up to $5,000 per card to authenticate, detect alterations, and grade cards. The fact that they're either not using the proper techniques to detect alterations or they're unable to detect them at all, they promise that they can.
They should either do their jobs properly or stop lying to their customers.

I agree, John, but like I wrote above, if there is no discernible way to detect if it was bleach, peroxide or water, how does a TPG not grade those cards?

I am unsure if the technology exists or not but if the TPG's don't have the technololgy that can detect bleach or peroxide, and the smell test doesn't work, then how can they not grade those cards? :confused:

I have never sent a card in for grading nor have I ever soaked a card but I couldn't imagine having my cards sent back as ungradable because someone guessed that I had soaked them in bleach or peroxide.

Edit: Just read Peter's thread here on the SGC Joe Jackson card. Do detectable means exist for detecting bleach or peroxide and if so, is it safe to say they weren't utilized when this card was graded? https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpost.php?p=14789115&postcount=3297

steve B
06-25-2019, 03:28 PM
I agree, John, but like I wrote above, if there is no discernible way to detect if it was bleach, peroxide or water, how does a TPG not grade those cards?

I am unsure if the technology exists or not but if the TPG's don't have the technololgy that can detect bleach or peroxide, and the smell test doesn't work, then how can they not grade those cards? :confused:

I have never sent a card in for grading nor have I ever soaked a card but I couldn't imagine having my cards sent back as ungradable because someone guessed that I had soaked them in bleach or peroxide.

Edit: Just read Peter's thread here on the SGC Joe Jackson card. Do detectable means exist for detecting bleach or peroxide and if so, is it safe to say they weren't utilized when this card was graded? https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpost.php?p=14789115&postcount=3297

That gets to be a complex subject. Most light colored cardstock that's wood based was bleached when it was made.
None of the traditional methods to detect bleach that I've heard of would be acceptable.
It *may* be possible to check with a spectrograph, but I haven't read of anyone doing it.

Bleaching is done sometimes in some actual conservation.
https://www.conservation-wiki.com/wiki/Bleaching_(PCC)
See the section on appropriateness, and section 2.6 on testing.

Note, none of that applies to some guy with a tray full of stuff from the grocery store....

brad31
06-26-2019, 11:27 AM
SGC needs to fix their cert lookup. Most of what I have bought from PWCC are in SGC holders. Since I am indifferent between SGA and PSA I tend to get outbid on most of the PSA cards I try for. Without the cert lookup the super smart people putting together Moser submissions cannot uncover additional SGC cards that are likely suspect.

Peter_Spaeth
06-26-2019, 11:30 AM
SGC needs to fix their cert lookup. Most of what I have bought from PWCC are in SGC holders. Since I am indifferent between SGA and PSA I tend to get outbid on most of the PSA cards I try for. Without the cert lookup the super smart people putting together Moser submissions cannot uncover additional SGC cards that are likely suspect.

SGC certs have been random for at least a year anyhow, so even if they had a cert lookup there would be no way to recreate subs made since then.

brad31
06-26-2019, 11:42 AM
SGC certs have been random for at least a year anyhow, so even if they had a cert lookup there would be no way to recreate subs made since then.

Thanks Peter - was not aware of that. Still might uncover some older ones if they fixed it. Some of the submission runs published for PSA go back to 2017. However, would not help as much as I would have thought.

swarmee
06-26-2019, 11:55 AM
Of course it would help, as well as consignment houses like Greg Morris and painthistorian and others who have sold raw cards to Whitman111 over the years to upload those scans to a file sharing service for the blowout guys to have more photos for comparisons to identify even more tainted cards.

robw1959
06-28-2019, 03:33 PM
Usually people send the card to the other grading company in the slab in order to get a second opinion. Usually people who want to make more money on their card crack it out and send it to the other grading company raw. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the PWCC refund on this one.

I just got an email from Betsy Huigens stating that they now have the card in-house, and that my refund would be issued in my PayPal account on Monday.

calvindog
06-28-2019, 04:17 PM
I just got an email from Betsy Huigens stating that they now have the card in-house, and that my refund would be issued in my PayPal account on Monday.

Congrats on that!

VintageVinnie
06-29-2019, 08:05 AM
I completely agree with the original statement about SGC being head and shoulders above. Last year, I bought a very nice 51 Bowman Football Norm Van Brocklin, PSA 5 on ebay. However, I wanted the holder to be uniform with my other SGC cards and sent it to SGC. Wasn't even looking for a bump. SGC sent it back with the Scarlett letter "A." I measured it and, you guessed it, came up just an eyelash short..trimmed. SGC caught it, PSA did not. Period.

swarmee
06-29-2019, 08:42 AM
They're amazing! : sample size 1
They can't tell autographs signed two years on T206s from ones signed when players were actually alive: sample size 12
They can't tell if $10k+ cards have been chemically bleached: sample size 3 and counting

VintageVinnie
06-29-2019, 09:35 AM
I respect your opinion, but SGC is still my choice as an average collector. They are human and of course mistakes are going to be made. But I find SGC is consistently more accurate with their grading and, by far, make less mistakes than the competition. You see that now with the PSA mess. Trimmed cards in PSA holders EVERYWHERE. SGC, very wisely, has gotten out of the autograph business. That industry is a cess pool and it least they recognize that and their strengths in grading cardboard only.

Republicaninmass
06-29-2019, 10:16 AM
I respect your opinion, but SGC is still my choice as an average collector. They are human and of course mistakes are going to be made. But I find SGC is consistently more accurate with their grading and, by far, make less mistakes than the competition. You see that now with the PSA mess. Trimmed cards in PSA holders EVERYWHERE. SGC, very wisely, has gotten out of the autograph business. That industry is a cess pool and it least they recognize that and their strengths in grading cardboard only.

Speaking of opinions, after 4 or 5 SGC cheerleader posts, in the last hour or so. You need to post your full name when giving an opinion.

lowpopper
06-29-2019, 10:25 AM
VintageVinnie,

Post your real name!

bnorth
06-29-2019, 10:36 AM
VintageVinnie,

Post your real name!

Good idea Mr. C;)

lowpopper
06-29-2019, 10:42 AM
Good idea Mr. C;)

That’s my real name. I am a real person. I encourage
everyone to come meet me at the National.

Love,

Greg Campbell

Republicaninmass
06-29-2019, 10:43 AM
If SGC had implemented at least some sort of reason to their numbering system, the blow out guys would undoubtedly be able to find more cards from the doctored submissions.

Leon
06-30-2019, 11:00 AM
Actually he was a huge submitter to gai. I suggest you research 1955 Bowman’s GAi and moser for one example. Oh I see Anthony beat me to it. Lol.

LOL....there are reasons cards are still in GAI holders. It isn't because they are more valuable either.

As far as the other comment about a name with an opinion. It was added and more will be added as they are needed. And if anyone sees anything suspicious concerning any members, a confidential PM or email is always a good thing. Same thing concerning the opinion rule where names are needed. There won't be any member who can say a PM wasn't at least followed up on and usually extremely quickly.
As with any internet site it is caveat emptor. I can say though, anyone who has pm'd me in the past 15+ yrs, has not been scammed doing a trade or sale here. And I can't remember an outright scammer ever getting too far on our BST. Thanks to all members for their vigilance.

brad31
07-01-2019, 08:22 AM
If SGC had implemented at least some sort of reason to their numbering system, the blow out guys would undoubtedly be able to find more cards from the doctored submissions.

This is the main reason so few SGC cards have been discovered so far. I collect SGC cards more than most but have to believe the cards that did not get graded from PSA in all of those submissions went to SGC. I imagine a decent percentage of those are in SGC graded holders.

1952boyntoncollector
07-01-2019, 09:46 AM

agree which actually makes the cards in their holders worth less in my eyes then PSA where you can at least partially check things out versus zero

Peter_Spaeth
07-01-2019, 10:07 AM
Did SGC articulate a rationale for moving away from sequential certs?

robw1959
07-01-2019, 02:22 PM
Congrats on that!

Thanks. Payday today, and The money ($787) is in my account now. PWCC is taking the initiative to reach out and notify its clients about these altered PSA-graded cards and providing timely refunds. So at least they're making good on the promise of restitution.

robw1959
07-01-2019, 02:29 PM
This is the main reason so few SGC cards have been discovered so far. I collect SGC cards more than most but have to believe the cards that did not get graded from PSA in all of those submissions went to SGC. I imagine a decent percentage of those are in SGC graded holders.

Without any evidence, this is nothing more than a guess. And I have yet to see a single example of an SGC-numerically-graded card that has been trimmed.

Johnny630
07-01-2019, 03:14 PM
Thanks. Payday today, and The money ($787) is in my account now. PWCC is taking the initiative to reach out and notify its clients about these altered PSA-graded cards and providing timely refunds. So at least they're making good on the promise of restitution.

Are they being taken care of behind the scenes by Newport Beach ?

That would no shock me one bit...a day late and a dollar short

Republicaninmass
07-01-2019, 04:03 PM
:)Without any evidence, this is nothing more than a guess. And I have yet to see a single example of an SGC-numerically-graded card that has been trimmed.

Who needs to when a card goes up 30k in value from building up corners and a little bleach? Some pretty high increases on those sgc resub results, or are you blind to those as well?

Peter_Spaeth
07-01-2019, 04:43 PM

Like a bank robber returning (some of) the money after he got caught red handed. To try to get a lighter sentence. Wowzers. Where was their initiative during a decade or more of this sh*t?

1952boyntoncollector
07-01-2019, 05:22 PM
Like a bank robber returning (some of) the money after he got caught red handed. To try to get a lighter sentence. Wowzers. Where was their initiative during a decade or more of this sh*t?

Well in your situation the bank robber was actually arrested, and trying to get a ligher sentence..

in this situation, no arrest, no lawsuits..everyone is being paid back....nothing to see here.

Peter_Spaeth
07-01-2019, 05:28 PM
Well in your situation the bank robber was actually arrested, and trying to get a ligher sentence..

in this situation, no arrest, no lawsuits..everyone is being paid back....nothing to see here.

To me, an active FBI investigation is not nothing. But that's just me, Jake.

CobbSpikedMe
07-01-2019, 05:56 PM

*yawn* Wait, did I miss something new?....nope. Ok, back to my nap. :rolleyes:

Peter_Spaeth
07-01-2019, 06:01 PM

Jake doesn't understand, it seems, that sometimes the investigation precedes the arrest/indictment.

rgpete
07-01-2019, 06:03 PM
SGC is on the top of their game

BLongley
07-01-2019, 07:08 PM
Ok, here is an SGC 3 Cy Young Port with an EPDG back that was sold by Lee back in his 2017 auction. It was then cleaned up and regraded by SGC to a 5.5 and sold by PWCC with the High End sticker of course....

Perhaps Lee can see who bought the card? I’m curious of course... was it Moser? Maybe someone else? Link to BO research below:

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpost.php?p=14813251&postcount=3708

Peter_Spaeth
07-01-2019, 07:12 PM
Gary is not a T206 guy I don't believe. But, someone else working with Brent might be. It would not surprise me at all if Brent himself was the buyer, just as he bought the WWG DiMaggio out of REA, and some other cards I am aware of.

No big deal, though, at least it wasn't trimmed so yay for SGC.

brad31
07-01-2019, 07:16 PM
Without any evidence, this is nothing more than a guess. And I have yet to see a single example of an SGC-numerically-graded card that has been trimmed.

No just some coloring in of white spots, bleaching, working on corners, etc.

It would be awesome if we could see the Moser/PWCC submissions.

Here is what I know:

>Submissions to PSA usually contained scores of cards.
>There are multiple cards that have been worked on with numerical grades from SGC revealed in the Blowout forums

I deduce - the submissions to SGC were likely multiple card submissions as were those to PSA.

I deduce - More than what we know from each submission got through - otherwise SGC rejected all but one card - but did not raise a red flag that there was only one legit card mixed in with a bunch of alterations.

Again I like SGC and have bought a lot of cards in their holders. I would like to have lists to check against like I do my PSA cards that I purchased from PWCC

clydepepper
07-01-2019, 07:32 PM
Let's face it guys: The most trustworthy status of Baseball cards, unlike women, is raw. :cool:

Kenny Cole
07-01-2019, 07:57 PM
Let's face it guys: The most trustworthy status of Baseball cards, unlike women, is raw. :cool:

I don't think raw is trustworthy either. The very reason TPGers came into being is because there so many altered raw cards. The TPGer promise has clearly been proven to be an illusion in many cases, but that certainly doesn't mean that raw is clean. I would suggest that common sense and experience, while not certain, may be the most important attributes that any collector can have at this point. And I get that isn't particularly safe either.

Peter_Spaeth
07-01-2019, 08:00 PM
I don't think raw is trustworthy either. The very reason TPGers came into being is because there so many altered raw cards. The TPGer promise has clearly been proven to be an illusion in many cases, but that certainly doesn't mean that raw is clean. I would suggest that common sense and experience, while not certain, may be the most important attributes that any collector can have at this point. And I get that isn't particularly safe either.

I would imagine the Wagner wasn't the only trimmed card people sold to Jim Copeland. And yeah when I started in the early 90s and almost everything was raw it was the wild west out there with trimmed cards.

Peter_Spaeth
07-01-2019, 10:11 PM
Ok, here is an SGC 3 Cy Young Port with an EPDG back that was sold by Lee back in his 2017 auction. It was then cleaned up and regraded by SGC to a 5.5 and sold by PWCC with the High End sticker of course....

Perhaps Lee can see who bought the card? I’m curious of course... was it Moser? Maybe someone else? Link to BO research below:

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpost.php?p=14813251&postcount=3708

I understand that as a general matter AHs and dealers would not divulge the identity of their buyers, but when the purchases at issue obviously involve fraud, WHY continue to protect the guilty? Why not out them? What's the downside, what's the fear? Not singling Lee out by any means.

Brent was connected to the WWG DiMaggio only because someone came forward and told me, and allowed me to post it. We are now almost certainly dealing with many multiples of that situation, where people could come forward and provide facts.

1952boyntoncollector
07-02-2019, 11:35 AM
To me, an active FBI investigation is not nothing. But that's just me, Jake.

When 'active' for this long given all the proof that has been submitted, you can indict a ham sandwich, yet nothing done

Also arrests are usually made so evidence cant be destroyed while the 'active' investigation takes place

Yes, if the investigation is more secret, and there is less worry that any alleged crimes are now being hidden or evidence isnt destroyed there is more of a wait period.

Tough to say there are victims in the criminal case when no civil lawsuits

Times just keeps going on...

Peter_Spaeth
07-02-2019, 11:38 AM
Jake -- you're clueless about this.

1952boyntoncollector
07-02-2019, 11:40 AM

The quote you took from me was actually taken out of context.

1952boyntoncollector
07-02-2019, 11:40 AM
Jake -- you're clueless about this.

OK how many months/years need to go by before you agree the 'active' investigation isnt so active.

Johnny630
07-02-2019, 11:42 AM
OK how many months/years need to go by before you agree the 'active' investigation isnt so active.

Until subpoenas and search warrants are served I don’t think any criminal investigation is going on. An inquiry yes that’s where I believe we are at right now...

Yoda
07-02-2019, 12:40 PM

Did Betsy happen to mention in which cave Brent was currently residing, busily counting his profits and contemplating his new life in Brazil?

Peter_Spaeth
07-02-2019, 12:51 PM

I know people who are actively engaged with the active FBI investigation. Just stop already, enough.

Peter_Spaeth
07-02-2019, 12:52 PM
Until subpoenas and search warrants are served I don’t think any criminal investigation is going on. An inquiry yes that’s where I believe we are at right now...

You wouldn't know, the FBI isn't going to publicly announce subpoenas and search warrants.

Frank A
07-02-2019, 02:42 PM
Speaking of opinions, after 4 or 5 SGC cheerleader posts, in the last hour or so. You need to post your full name when giving an opinion.
Cheerleader posts? The only guys crying are the people who must be holding loads of PSA cards. Their like little kids telling their mom "he did it to". The percentage of PSA graded duds is overall way greater than SGC. PSA stinks and some of you just want to cover up for the,. Disgrace. FRANK ANTHONY

1952boyntoncollector
07-02-2019, 03:29 PM

The way people gossip in this small card community, i would think word would of gotten out if there were search warrants given and police tape etc around the building etc.

1952boyntoncollector
07-02-2019, 03:34 PM
You wouldn't know, the FBI isn't going to publicly announce subpoenas and search warrants.

no but someone connected to someone would announce it in gossip...no not TMZ but in our little community, i doubt a search warrant goes quietly.... especially since it would shut me up...!

Peter_Spaeth
07-02-2019, 03:35 PM
no but someone connected to someone would announce it in gossip...no not TMZ but in our little community, i doubt a search warrant goes quietly.... especially since it would shut me up...!

How much did we know about the Mastro investigation as it was unfolding? Your logic is ridiculous Jake.

steve B
07-02-2019, 03:37 PM

So how would I arrange a search warrant? ;)

Johnny630
07-02-2019, 03:40 PM

Key word served. Until then nobody will know, that is obvious. LE doesnt tip our hands.
My point is I don’t believed it’s even being thought of right now

1952boyntoncollector
07-02-2019, 03:45 PM
How much did we know about the Mastro investigation as it was unfolding? Your logic is ridiculous Jake.

I would think after Mastro, now there would be more chance of a leak then ever now.'

You know you always say everybody is wrong in everything no matter the subject area. saying i am ridiculous when we are both just giving opinions is ridiculous

Johnny630
07-02-2019, 03:46 PM
I would think after Mastro, now there would be more chance of a leak then ever now.

Please stop ....you will find out if and when sir

1952boyntoncollector
07-02-2019, 03:49 PM
Key word served. Until then nobody will know, that is obvious.
My point is I don’t believed it’s even being thought of right now

Peter will say he does not agree with you and you are being ridiculous.

I guess the FBI is doing double secret probation with these guys like lambda lambda lambda was on with the university

1952boyntoncollector
07-02-2019, 03:51 PM
Please stop ....you will find out if and when sir

i agree, but as time goes by, all i am saying that after 6 months if nothing is served with all the information in hand that we are getting let alone with FBI resources if nothing is served than its a non issue..

Johnny630
07-02-2019, 03:54 PM
i agree, but as time goes by, all i am saying that after 6 months if nothing is served with all the information in hand that we are getting let alone with FBI resources if nothing is served than its a non issue..

Let it play out....you can’t change anything. If they wanna pursue things further their is no rush for any LE to do so.

1952boyntoncollector
07-02-2019, 03:59 PM
Let it play out....you can’t change anything. If they wanna pursue things further their is no rush for any LE to do so.

i agree, what usually makes LE more aggressive is when there are victims collecting and civil lawsuits like you see in ponzi schemes. However you know what i will say next.....and then peter will say thats ridiculous..

Peter_Spaeth
07-02-2019, 04:00 PM
I would think after Mastro, now there would be more chance of a leak then ever now.'

You know you always say everybody is wrong in everything no matter the subject area. saying i am ridiculous when we are both just giving opinions is ridiculous

I told you I am not giving an opinion, I am in touch with people who are dealing with the FBI. Read what I write. Post 84 for one.

Exhibitman
07-02-2019, 04:10 PM

Wait until Monday...

Johnny630
07-02-2019, 04:14 PM
i agree, what usually makes LE more aggressive is when there are victims collecting and civil lawsuits like you see in ponzi schemes. However you know what i will say next.....and then peter will say thats ridiculous..

I would agree with Peter if he said your comment is ridiculous.....what you commented has never come into my mind....ever...civil lawsuits are for tort lawyers not LE

1952boyntoncollector
07-02-2019, 04:24 PM
I would agree with Peter if he said your comment is ridiculous.....what you commented has never come into my mind....ever...civil lawsuits are for tort lawyers not LE

and i agree with peter that you are wrong that only an inquiry is going on and your comment is ridiculous as that never came into my mind.......guess hurray for peter.

I dont think its ridiculous for LE to be more aggressive where there are victims lining up versus not so civil lawsuits do come into my mind but each entitled to an opinion...not sure why people resort to saying everyone's opinion is ridiculous as you see how it is now

BLongley
07-02-2019, 04:55 PM
Peter will say he does not agree with you and you are being ridiculous.

I guess the FBI is doing double secret probation with these guys like lambda lambda lambda was on with the university

Geez Jake... you cant even get a movie quote right... Dean Werner put them on double secret probation... not the Tri Lams.... c’mon man....

darwinbulldog
07-02-2019, 06:41 PM
Geez Jake... you cant even get a movie quote right... Dean Werner put them on double secret probation... not the Tri Lams.... c’mon man....

Dean Wormer

Kenny Cole
07-02-2019, 07:00 PM
This is not a TV show where the crime occurs, the perpetrator is apprehended, and the trial results in a guilty verdict all in an hour. I mean, seriously, please spare me any more drivel like that. You should know it doesn't ever work that way.

BLongley
07-02-2019, 08:06 PM
Dean Wormer

Doh!!! :p

Republicaninmass
07-03-2019, 04:12 AM
Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son.

1952boyntoncollector
07-03-2019, 05:46 AM
This is not a TV show where the crime occurs, the perpetrator is apprehended, and the trial results in a guilty verdict all in an hour. I mean, seriously, please spare me any more drivel like that. You should know it doesn't ever work that way.

right in real life there are a bunch of civil suits which would be boring for a tv show.. Bernie Madoff, had a ton of civil suits against him before anyone know about any crimes for example..

robw1959
07-06-2019, 05:44 PM
:)

Who needs to when a card goes up 30k in value from building up corners and a little bleach? Some pretty high increases on those sgc resub results, or are you blind to those as well?

Wasn't it the other way around, and that the "after" card had the rounded corners? If so, we're only talking about a few very minor stains being removed.

robw1959
07-06-2019, 05:47 PM

Didn't you say at some point that it's a good thing that PWCC is offering restitution? Regardless of the motive, restitution is a good thing, and I'm glad it's happening.

steve B
07-06-2019, 07:42 PM
Yes, it's wonderful that PWCC is covering PSAs mess for them...:confused:

Getting PSA off the hook for the full price less the "A" value. I wonder how much of their "losses" PSA is covering behind the scenes?

Johnny630
07-06-2019, 07:47 PM

Getting PSA off the hook for the full price less the "A" value. I wonder how much of their "losses" PSA is covering behind the scenes?

Cover up is so evident don’t think they’re doing this out of their kindness of their own hearts Newport Beach is taking care of them....do the right thing and we will update the Pop Report and come up with some new Fake News marketing to lure the sheeple back just do what’s right and we got your back...

robw1959
07-07-2019, 01:10 AM

Great point. If only PSA had truly been the gold standard so many of us believed they were . . .

Republicaninmass
07-07-2019, 05:12 AM

I have to disagree. Pwcc has been deliberately targeting TPGs to grade altered cards, altered by them, and adding their little sticker for profit. Pwcc should foot the bill as long as feasibly possible as they are exposed as the ones with consistent behavior that could be viewed as criminal. I highly doubt they are consoling pwcc behind the scenes.

Johnny630
07-07-2019, 05:18 AM
I have to disagree. Pwcc has been deliberately targeting TPGs to grade altered cards, altered by them, and adding their little sticker for profit. Pwcc should foot the bill as long as feasibly possible as they are exposed as the ones with consistent behavior that could be viewed as criminal. I highly doubt they are consoling pwcc behind the scenes.

Newport Beach can’t Really be this bad at their Job can they ? ....am I the only one who thinks there maybe could be someone on the inside over their connected doing bad things grading all these bad cards giving them grades
....I sure hope and pray not.....but I’m suspicious of it....

swarmee
07-07-2019, 05:30 AM
Yes, they can be this bad at their job. Beckett is definitely handing out favorable grades to their largest submitters (in fact they've even used it as a sales tactic for accounts). Look up the Joe Clemons thread on the Blowout baseball board for evidence.

But PSA just seems to be completely incapable of detecting these alterations. I cataloged the various alterations they've missed so far elsewhere, but will retype it here:
1) Trimming (even heavy trimming)
2) False rough cuts
3) Filled Pinholes
4) Missed erasures
5) Bleaching and stain removal
6) Crease removal by pressing/spooning
7) Rebuilt corners
8) Intentionally rounded corners (unnatural wear)
9) Recoloring
10) Reglossing has been accused

Johnny630
07-07-2019, 05:32 AM
Yes, they can be this bad at their job. Beckett is definitely handing out favorable grades to their largest submitters (in fact they've even used it as a sales tactic for accounts). Look up the Joe Clemons thread on the Blowout baseball board for evidence.

But PSA just seems to be completely incapable of detecting these alterations. I cataloged the various alterations they've missed so far elsewhere, but will retype it here:
1) Trimming (even heavy trimming)
2) False rough cuts
3) Filled Pinholes
4) Missed erasures
5) Bleaching and stain removal
6) Crease removal by pressing/spooning
7) Rebuilt corners
8) Intentionally rounded corners (unnatural wear)
9) Recoloring
10) Reglossing has been accused

So you don’t think there could be something nefarious going on at PSA ???
Your take would be They just really suck at their job???

Invoice track down of whom submitted these cards for GM would be really interesting to put any possible links together....
Should be a interesting case we shall see

Republicaninmass
07-07-2019, 05:34 AM
You guys ever have a card kicked back by PSA and wonder why? Many times it is evident with the card in hand, but unless pointed out, it's tough to notice. Imagine if hundreds and hundreds of cards, just in the PWCC subs are all doctored, some obvious ones are sure to slip by. However, they are using a pro to do this, and it's on every card. That's evident by the low grade and mid grade cards gaming small amounts. I think it's a number game, still in shock PSA cant detect them. Again, you build a better mouse trap, they'll build a better mouse

Johnny630
07-07-2019, 05:38 AM
You guys ever have a card kicked back by PSA and wonder why? Many times it is evident with the card in hand, but unless pointed out, it's tough to notice. Imagine if hundreds and hundreds of cards, just in the PWCC subs are all doctored, some obvious ones are sure to slip by. However, they are using a pro to do this, and it's on every card. That's evident by the low grade and mid grade cards gaming small amounts. I think it's a number game, still in shock PSA cant detect them. Again, you build a better mouse trap, they'll build a better mouse

Agree with almost all said sir good points.
One disagreement don’t give the guy the credit...the card doctor..... isn’t a Pro...many are horrendously done
PSA is no longer a authority to me....they’re a facilitator....yuck vomit..... Try and Try to get this through people’s heads but as long as people believe their cards will be worth more in their holders the PSA lines will be flooded with people spending their money for their opinion....Report on the Lines At the National to Follow

Republicaninmass
07-07-2019, 05:45 AM
That t3 Cobb really got my goat. I didnt even need a big scan. Not a pro job by any means, and slid through. A top tier HOF card. Not sure the excuse on that, maybe 2 day turnaround? They are submitted at super express

swarmee
07-07-2019, 05:59 AM
So you don’t think there could be something nefarious going on at PSA ???
Your take would be They just really suck at their job???
There have been over a hundred different Moser-affiliated submissions posted on Blowout already. It's seemingly impossible this is just a few rogue employees that have been shielding/facilitating their submissions for 20 years. They are just incompetent.
That's why when I first started asking them the tough questions two months ago the options were: INCOMPETENT or COMPLICIT?

All the evidence that continues to come out daily is that they're incompetent.

Johnny630
07-07-2019, 06:06 AM
There have been over a hundred different Moser-affiliated submissions posted on Blowout already. It's seemingly impossible this is just a few rogue employees that have been shielding/facilitating their submissions for 20 years. They are just incompetent.
That's why when I first started asking them the tough questions two months ago the options were: INCOMPETENT or COMPLICIT?

All the evidence that continues to come out daily is that they're incompetent.

If that’s true what point is their services anymore? And I’m not in disagreement with you John, I agree. Their utter incompetence and arrogance are quite frankly at this point a do service to the hobby, or should I say industry because that’s what it’s all about.....money. They don’t care about getting it right .....sad

swarmee
07-07-2019, 06:13 AM
If that’s true what point is their services anymore?
This is the exact right question. Since the Emperor is wearing no clothes, why should any high grade card have a value worth more than a nice looking Altered card? If enough people start subscribing to that way of thinking, the whole exponential growth curve of graded card collapses.
This is why there are only a few people discussing it on this board and Blowout, and almost nobody on the CU/PSA boards. Too much invested in the segment. If you have millions of dollars in graded cards right now, you're freaking out. The vast majority is sticking their heads in the sand, hoping that it will all just blow over and go away, protecting their asset class.

ullmandds
07-07-2019, 06:14 AM
This is the exact right question. Since the Emperor is wearing no clothes, why should any high grade card have a value worth more than a nice looking Altered card? If enough people start subscribing to that way of thinking, the whole exponential growth curve of graded card collapses.
This is why there are only a few people discussing it on this board and Blowout, and almost nobody on the CU/PSA boards. Too much invested in the segment. If you have millions of dollars in graded cards right now, you're freaking out. The vast majority is sticking their heads in the sand, hoping that it will all just blow over and go away, protecting their asset class.

yup!

Johnny630
07-07-2019, 06:19 AM

Yes Sir !!! Very well said! In agreement 100% John I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels like we do!